Conversations With America: Diversifying the Department of State

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
March 12, 2013
Conversations With America: Diversifying the Department of State

Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield, Director General of the Foreign Service and Director of Human Resources, will be interviewed by Cheryl Benton, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, to discuss the Department of State's recruitment efforts. The conversation will highlight her career as an American Diplomat and the future of the Department, including efforts to ensure the Department‘s workforce is diverse and accurately reflects the face of America. The discussion will be available for on-demand viewing soon on YouTube and www.state.gov.

You are invited to participate by submitting questions, some of which will be selected for response during the taping. Submit your questions below on DipNote, the Department of State's official blog, and join the ongoing discussion via Twitter using the hashtag #careers. Please submit questions via DipNote and Twitter as soon as possible for consideration.

View other Conversations with America here and by accessing the Conversations with America video podcasts on iTunes.

Comments

Comments

CD D.
March 13, 2013

C.D. in Washington, D.C. writes:

Secretary Clinton approved staff from Federal agencies working on detail with international organizations but so far as i know, there has been nothing done to implement that option. I would like to know how that happens, do you go up to the UN and say "here i am"? Please issue guidance on how to do this. Thanks.

Badal K.
Minnesota, USA
March 13, 2013

Dr. Badal K. in Minnesota writes:

Let me tell you that cultural diplomacy in diversity must be learned accurately so that we can work for better governance in this world.

We also need to multicultural experts in cultural diplomacy to lead the U.S. State Department E-gov channels so that we are always helping and providing accurate information to the American people and the world at large.

Thank you.

Heather S.
March 13, 2013

Heather S. in Virginia writes:

Ambassador,

What is your outlook on the hiring of entry level Foreign Service Officer Generalists? Will the A100 classes be adversely affected by sequestration for this fiscal year as well as going forward? Thank you.

Margery C.
North Carolina, USA
March 13, 2013

Margery C. in North Carolina writes:

Should the United States develop more "soft diplomacy" professionals to be deployed world wide? I think so.

Cultural diplomacy is necessary but so is cultural understanding. Often cultural diplomacy emphasizes only teaching culture rather that learning culture.

Joseph Q.
March 13, 2013

Joseph Q. in California writes:

Hello,

My question is: I am qualified professional individual "protected" under: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Title I and Title V of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990,and who has recently applied for a couple of positions at the Department of State. How is your organization handling diversity with individuals like me? Could this unemployed citizen get an opportunity to work with your organization?Thank you!

Geoffrey P.
March 13, 2013

Geoffrey P. in Virginia writes:

Why can't the State Dept. creat a ready path way for veterans to be hired on. Vets need a quick and streamed lined process. You are missing out on trained and experienced capacity and leadership?

Matt
Wyoming, USA
March 13, 2013

Matt in Wyoming writes:

Dear Ambassador,

Secretary Kerry has been consistently referring to the Foreign Service as an investment with great returns. Last week we saw some 40 retired military leaders lobbying Congress to protect the foreign affairs budget. According to a recent article in the Foreign Affairs Journal, 28% of overseas posts are either vacant or filled with up-stretch candidates. Is DOS hoping to have a Foreign Service hiring surge in the first years of Secretary Kerry's time in office, as we saw in the first years of Secretary Powell's, Secretary Rice's and Secretary Clinton's?

Thank you for allowing us to pose these questions.

kay
Maryland, USA
March 13, 2013

Kay in Maryland writes:

Can you state the criteria in hiring a person with disabilities? Some people like myself are in working with people with disabilities in various causes like advocacy and self-determination.

Jonathan
Pennsylvania, USA
March 14, 2013

Jonathan in Pennsylvania writes:

Is there any talk about adding some type of points that goes towards Veterans for the Foreign Service Officer test? I know at this point, I am a veteran who has received my Masters Degree and I've lived overseas for 4 plus years. I would like nothing more than to move into a career with the State Department.

Karen
March 14, 2013

Karen in California writes:

Budget cuts may affect many military officers over the next few years. Some with less than 20 years of service may be in danger of losing all of their retirement pay. Many are talented individuals with vast experience. is there a plan to transition veterans into State while preserving their retirement pay and counting those years of prior service to our country?

March 14, 2013

Offhand if I were to strive for diversity in the dept. of State's hiring process, to better represent a cross section of the American population, I think I'd consider geographic (by states), to be a fair way to come to a solution. I do not think there'd be any relevance to being an "equal opportunity employer" in the classic constitutional sense, but you can bet the hiring pool will be diverse.

Would this work effectively enough?

Todd D.
March 14, 2013

Todd D. in Washington, D.C. writes:

Ambassador,

I am one of almost 100 active duty DOD personnel now embedded at DOS under an MOU signed between the Departments. I have very much enjoyed my time at DOS and am in fact thinking of seeking future civilian employment here! Only problem is that most job postings seek internal DOS hires first. Besides an administrative technicality, DOD here under the MOU really know DOS inside and out and should be considered for internal hiring if DOS is serious about attracting and retaining top talent. Any thought of opening internal job postings to ALL of us who already work here and love being here? Thank you! Todd D., PM Bureau

Stirling P.
Maryland, USA
March 14, 2013

Stirling P. in Maryland writes:

Ambassador,

I am interested in hearing about how you plan to implement President Obama’s Executive Order # 13562 – “Recruiting and Hiring Students and Recent Graduates” and the new Pathways Program. What efforts are being made to bring more people of color into the foreign affairs field?

Thank you.

Dan
Texas, USA
March 14, 2013

Dan in Texas writes:

What is being done to address the serious shortage of Hispanics within the senior foreign service. As it stands, as of 2010, only about 3.9 percent of foreign service officer generalists were Hispanic, with most having been hired in the last 5-7 years. Do we have to wait for the next fifteen or twenty years before we have a crucial mass of Hispanic leadership at State?

Jennings B.
March 15, 2013

Jennings B. in California writes:

As a graduate student in International Relations and a prospective FSO, how important is a regional or country expertise in the Foreign Service? As I focus my studies on South Asia am I at a disadvantage as a prospective hire or better suited for an opportunity in the FS?