The Year in Global Partnerships

Posted by Kris Balderston
January 11, 2013
Secretary Clinton With Special Representative Kris Balderston

Throughout 2012, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton continuously emphasized the importance of partnering and cross-sectoral collaboration as a means to improve diplomacy and development outcomes around the world. At the Global Partnership Initiative, we have worked hard to achieve the Secretary's vision around partnerships by breaking down barriers to collaboration within and across the Department and with the private sector and civil society organizations. To say it's been a tremendously successful year for partnerships would be an understatement.

In 2012, we saw each of our four flagship partnerships grow and flourish beyond expectations and the focus on building partnerships across the Department grow. Through our four major initiatives -- the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves, Partners for a New Beginning, the International diaspora Engagement Alliance, and the Accelerating Market-Driven Partnerships -- we've worked with over 1,100 organizations and leveraged more than $650 million in public and private resources to achieve U.S. foreign policy objectives around the globe. I invite you to check out our recently launched infographic which outlines the impact of our partnership achievements around the world.

As we kick-off a new year, and I reflect on our mutual accomplishments, we'll be taking a closer look at the impact of these four initiatives, so stay tuned to the blog next week as we discuss these partnerships. I am sure that you will be as impressed as I was by the breadth and depth of our efforts, and energized by the possibilities that lay ahead for 2013 and beyond.

Over the coming days, I look forward to hearing from you. Your feedback is invaluable, and we invite you to share your thoughts -- what opportunities do you see for public-private partnerships this year? What issues would be best served by a public-private response?

Comments

Comments

Adri D.
Indonesia
January 12, 2013

Adri D. in Indonesia writes:

Yes I do also believe So we are stronger then we were ever was.. To be Honest I don't know what else, what needs to grow ?

Debt R.
January 12, 2013

D.R. in California writes:

I think it's been a tremendously successful year to improve diplomacy and development outcomes around the world and that lay ahead for 2013 and beyond.

Kerrie
Oregon, USA
January 13, 2013

Kerrie in Oregon writes:

As a midlife woman and a post-Bacc student, I have a project combining art and technology that is innovative, has limitless application potential, and I am seeking support to complete my studies abroad this summer in an international partnership. As informal an approach as leaving a blog comment may be, it would be great to get a call from you all, so I can go beyond just telling you about it, rather show you the prototype as well.

mossad a.
January 13, 2013

Send my visa travel,you,r help me,please.

Há»™i t.
January 13, 2013

I agree on the hating snow. I was thrilled to be in Florida when the blizzard came through.

Judith P.
January 14, 2013

Judith P. writes:

Thank you, Kris, for this post about the State Department’s partnerships with global organizations. The Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) also sees the great value of partnerships and committed a $10 million loan to Seattle-based MicroEnergy Credits to help assist qualified microfinance institutions launch and expand clean energy lending programs. The programs aim to significantly increase the availability of microfinance capital for low-income populations to afford quality clean energy products such as energy efficient, clean cookstoves. You can read more about how OPIC is helping millions of households adopt clean and efficient cookstoves and fuels by 2020 here: opic.gov/blog/microfinance/its-as-simple-as-a-stove

Jim T.
January 14, 2013

Jim T. in Washington, D.C. writes:

Awesome job team!

David
Arizona, USA
January 18, 2013

David in Arizona writes:

Thanks for writing this. It was interesting. You seem very knowledgeable in your field.

Mulberry B.
January 25, 2013

support you and wish you a good continuation. Wishing you the best of luck for all your blogging efforts.