Change the World: Join the Foreign Service

January 11, 2013

As a young woman growing up in Louisiana, a career in the Foreign Service was never really on my list of life dreams -- but all that changed, beginning with graduate school and a research project in Africa that opened my eyes to the possibilities of diplomatic life.

Since joining the Department of State 31 years ago, I have lived and worked on four continents, traveling the world from Afghanistan to South Africa. I have witnessed the horror of genocide in Rwanda; I've celebrated the joy of people coming out of 15 years of war to elect the first woman president in Africa. I've never regretted those first steps out of my comfort zone and into the world of diplomacy.

I've been the face of America abroad, and I've been blessed with the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives and to represent my nation. The State Department needs the energy and passion of Americans who want a career that matters.

And that's why we've made this video.

We want to highlight and share with you some of the faces and stories of the amazing people who have made their dreams to do good in the world a reality through their career in the Foreign Service.

I hope you will watch it and think about this unique career and lifestyle. You can see the full film by visiting careers.state.gov, where you'll be able to delve much deeper into the various types of diplomatic careers and learn about the steps you can take to pursue this path.

Comments

Comments

Matt
Wyoming, USA
January 11, 2013

Matt in Wyoming writes:

That is a very lovely film. Being a year into the hiring process, it can seem long and, at times, it is disheartening. This has served to remind me of that light at the end of the tunnel, so thanks for that. Just give the call and I'll be there. Cheers.

KAMAL E.
January 11, 2013

Kamal E. in Washington, D.C. writes:

DEMOCRACY IN SUDAN

Gino D.
January 11, 2013

Gino D. in New York writes:

Excellent clip! I'm taking the FSOT in February and I've interned twice in Europe. Best government department on the planet.

Judith C.
January 11, 2013

Judith C. in the U.S.A. writes:

From the age of 16 my daughter wanted to be a FSO and has tenaciously followed her dream. At last her dream came true! Last May she was sworn it as Foreign Service Officer and will go to Juarez Mexico in April. We couldn't be prouder.

Alice
Kansas, USA
January 11, 2013

Alice in Kansas writes:

Great video but I think it would have been beneficial to highlight the Foreign Service Specialist opportunities like medical, diplomatic security, and information management.

Sarah
Texas, USA
January 12, 2013

Sarah in Texas writes:

I agree with Alice in Kansas, Foreign Service Specialists opportunities weren't mentioned. Specialists are members of the Foreign Service too, including Office Management Specialists.

M. F.
Nebraska, USA
January 15, 2013

Dinorah F. in Nebraska writes:

Very inspiring video; this is the type of jobs I like to do. A job where I can make the difference and see the results of my labor.

Alan. M.
January 17, 2013

Alan M. in Florida writes:

Even though I have never been a part of the Foreign Service, I have been teaching in China for almost two years. I saw the film, read your materials on China and wondered if I am like a member of the Foreign Service due to the attention I receive from the leaders,staff and students. I also have a Foreign Expert folder from the PRC. Since I am 61 years old,I not able to serve my country through the Foreeign Service. Thank You Am