Back to School...Anywhere in the World!

Posted by Ann Stock
September 3, 2012
Fulbright Students at Seminar in Denver

Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer in the United States. If they haven't already done so, students all across our country are heading back to school this week. And for more than 270,000 of them, this school year will also be the start of a whole other adventure -- studying abroad!

If you want to understand another country and its culture, institutions, and languages, there's no substitute for living there, whether for a few weeks, a semester, a year, or longer. The friendships that these experiences foster are life-changing, and they form the basis of our country's international relationships for years to come. Students with that experience are more confident and better prepared to engage globally. Studying abroad also enriches the campuses and communities around you.

In short, study abroad expands your world: new insights, places, and people open up all kinds of new opportunities, at every level.

If you're interested in studying abroad, the State Department sponsors programs for almost any kind of student -- American and foreign, high school, undergraduate, post-graduate, and even teachers and scholars. If studying abroad isn't right for you, you can bring the world to you by hosting an exchange student.

For Americans interested in seeing the world, check with you school's study abroad offices to see what's offered and check out our Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program for funding opportunities. You can also consider applying for a Fulbright Scholarship, teaching English abroad, or spending an academic year overseas through the National Security Language Initiative for Youth or YES Abroad.

Foreign students should check out the EducationUSA advising network, an incredible online and in-person resource for accurate, up-to-date information about studying in the United States. Our advisors can help with guidance on everything from picking a school to getting a visa. You can find all of our international academic programs, like the Fulbright Program, the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Program, the Future Leaders Exchange, the Community College Initiative Program, and more on the Educational and Cultural Affairs website.

In the meantime, stay tuned for our celebration of International Education Week (IEW) From November 12-16, our website and Twitter hashtag will be open with Q&A, events announcements, and study abroad tips. We hope to hear from you -- or, better yet, to see you studying abroad soon!

Comments

Comments

Kristellys Z.
United Kingdom
September 4, 2012

Kristellys Z. in the United Kingdom writes:

This is a great post!! And a great resource as well for American students who haven't thought or are thinking about the idea of study abroad. When I was a student in Florida International University, I only wish I would've taken the opportunity to study abroad. It just wasn't anywhere near my periphery for an unknown reason!

Now I work in Scotland encourage Scottish students to study abroad and it seriously is a great and worthwhile cause (scotlandgoesglobal.co.uk). It will probably be one of the best experiences you'll have a student. I get to experience now through my husband as he's studying abroad here in Scotland... I get all the benefits (enhanced cultural awareness and employability, openness, so much learning!! and fun!).

I hope that when we go back to the States I can keep working on this issue! Thanks, Ann! Keep up the great work!!

Edgar
Uganda
September 4, 2012

Edgar in Uganda writes:

Hello,

I would like to know if I'm eligible to this program. I would like to further my studies having dropped out of University due to financial constraints. Please advise. Thank you.

kaggwa d.
September 5, 2012

Kaggwa D. writes:

Am interested in a scholarship. How can i access one?

Aly s.
Pakistan
September 4, 2012

Aly S. in Pakistan writes:

Kindly guide me a am working on education sector in Gilgit Baltistan specially on female education is there any chnace of learning and support for futher excellence in it.

Aidah N.
Uganda
September 4, 2012

Aidah N. in Uganda writes:

Is Masters of Public health included on the list of scholarships?

Bruce J.
Illinois, USA
September 4, 2012

Bruce J. in Illinois writes:

Great article. For those Americans looking to get paid to work abroad after college, there are tens of thousands of Americans teaching English abroad every year in Europe, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. They all go through a short term TEFL Certifications course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). International TEFL Academy is one of the largest TEFL schools in the world training over 1,200 new teachers a year.

Megan L.
September 4, 2012

Megan L. in the U.S.A. writes:

It's so important that students look for educational opportunities overseas - it only takes that one experience to plant the seed. Students come back more culturally sensitive and confident! My guess is they most likely become lifelong travelers as well. :)

Muhammed S.
Yemen
September 4, 2012

Muhammed in Yemen writes:

Please be informed that I am a Yemeni National, 27 years old. I have completed my studies in Andalus University, in Yemen and I was conferred the Bachelor Degree in IT Department.

I really wish to pursue my education at any reputable University in Communication, Journalism & Related Programs. Therefor, kindly contact me with the above email address. I hope my request would merit your consideration....!

Thank you.!

Malek S.
Yemen
September 4, 2012

Malek in Yemen writes:

Please be informed that I am a Yemeni National, 23 years old. I am studying in Ibb University, in Yemen and I was conferred the Diploma Degree in English Language Department. I am still undergraduate student, I mean that I am still level 4 and after one year i am going to be conferred with The bachelor.

I really wish to pursue my education at any reputable University in English Language Department. It is worthy to note that I have obtained 82%, very good, in the Diploma course..

Therefore, kindly contact me with the above email address. I hope my request would merit your consideration.

Thank you ...!

Ndimwibo F.
Uganda
September 5, 2012

Ndimwibo F. in Uganda writes:

i would really like to acquire this scholarships? i have only obtained a Diploma in Business Administration Major Accounting and i am kind of strained financially since i was meeting all my university requirements, but i really need to upgrade to a degree level do i stand a chance to receive this package

maia
Georgia
September 4, 2012

Maia in Georgia writes:

I wont to understand another countvry.

Maia
Tbilisi

alikadhem j.
Iraq
September 4, 2012

Alikadhem J. in Iraq writes:

dear sir

i ma iraqi medical dr .i would like to complet my study training in surgery abroad but i have no mony to have this hope because i have no facilities and no money .shall helpe me please

John
Uganda
September 5, 2012

John in Uganda writes:

Studying abroad has elluded! me how can you help? Thanx

LITA B.
Philippines
September 5, 2012

Lita B. in the Philippines writes:

I love the USA and I would like to see/visit it

Bobga T.
Cameroon
November 15, 2012

Bobga Paul T. in Cameroon writes:

I am a Cameroonian and i will like to further my education in Uganda here in Africa. but due to financial difficulty i am unable to do so. i will be very grateful if you help me see my dream come true. thank you and hoping to hear from you soon.