Be the First-Ever, U.S. Youth Observer To Attend the United Nations General Assembly

Posted by Ashli L. Savoy
August 23, 2012
UN General Assembly

For the first time ever, young Americans are being offered an exciting opportunity to bring the voice of U.S. youth to the United Nations. This year, the U.S. Department of State is teaming up with the United Nations Association of the USA to send one young citizen to the UN General Assembly in New York as a pilot program entitled the U.S. Youth Observer Program.

That means, if you are age 18 to 25, and have an interest and passion for international affairs, civic engagement, and youth issues, you could qualify for this once in a lifetime chance to see the United Nations in action -- in person. The U.S. Youth Observer will travel to New York, interact with the U.S. delegation and other youth representatives from around the world -- and then report on their experiences to their peers and the rest of the world.

As a young American working for the Department of State, I am really excited about this opportunity. In my current role in the State Department's International Organizations Bureau, I often meet with young people from the United States and around the world, and the interest in the United Nations is great. Their interest makes sense -- young people everywhere are influencing global events to an unprecedented extent. This program hopes to capture some of that interest and encourage Americans to engage in issues and policies that will affect their futures.

Visit www.unausa.org/usyouth to learn more and apply for the opportunity to have your voice heard at the United Nations. Don't forget, applications are due by 5:00 p.m. (EDT) on September 7, 2012!

Update:Selection of the First U.S. Youth Observer at the United Nations General Assembly Announced September 21

Comments

Comments

Amy
Kyrgyzstan
August 24, 2012

Amy in the Kyrgyz Republic writes:

I wish it was open for all international applicants as well.

Amadou
Senegal
August 24, 2012

Amadou in Senegal writes:

That's a great news from US ! I had the opportunity to attend the UN GA High Level meeting on Youth (July 2011) and I was one of the youth speakers. In my speech at the GA Hall, I asked for greater participation of youth in the UN System. amoctad.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-statement-on-twitter.html

As a youth participation advocate, I feel happy to hear that young people from US will be given the opportunity to send youth observer to attend the UN GA ! I hope US will use its leadership to encourage other nations to do so !

Joel K.
Australia
August 24, 2012

Joel K. in Australia writes:

How long has that been established?

Angela
August 24, 2012

Angela in the U.S.A. writes:

My sincerest congratulations of behalf of the US Youth Delegate Initiative! We are delighted to see this program in place and of the great initiative taken to have US youth voices represented at the international stage, and will do our best to spread the word about it!

KHAN R.
Bangladesh
August 25, 2012

Azizur Rahman K. in Bangladesh writes:

I am interested to attend the United Nations General Assembly as an observer. let me know the way of attending the assembly. PLEASE HELP.

Zoe B.
August 27, 2012

Zoe Allen B. in Florida writes:

I am planning a trip to Africa in the near future. I'd like to have a way of getting help if I am in danger via the State Departments site. What is available for citizens? I operate a think tank as well as a small consulting practice but know that terrorism is strong in africa. I guess I'm looking for my own 911 link.

marcus B.
Rwanda
August 27, 2012

Marcus B. in Rwanda writes:

Interesting to find youth in such activism.

Arafath I.
Sri Lanka
August 27, 2012

Arafath I. in Sri Lanka writes:

What brilliant opportunity for US youth. I highly regard this initiative n wish other countries will learn from this exercise. I dream that I would be offered a opportunity to give my voice and learn from other participants that I could bring to my country.

Advance wishes for all the US candidates.

patrick
September 7, 2012

Patrick in Africa writes:

why not scholarships for african there