Posted by Hannah Johnson
April 20, 2012
Embassy Brasilia Staff Member Takes a Photo of Secretary Clinton

This week's "Photo of the Week" comes to us from U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton's recent trip to Brasilia, Brazil. A staff member captured a photo of Secretary Clinton as she prepared to address the staff and families of the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia on April 16, 2012.

While in Brazil, Secretary Clinton delivered remarks at the opening session of the Open Government Partnership. Secretary Clinton said, "In the 21st century, the United States is convinced that one of the most significant divisions among nations will not be north/south, east/west, religious, or any other category so much as whether they are open or closed societies. We believe that countries with open governments, open economies, and open societies will increasingly flourish. They will become more prosperous, healthier, more secure, and more peaceful."

You can watch Secretary Clinton's remarks on open government on YouTube and see more photos from Brazil on flickr. You can also read more about Secretary Clinton's trip to Brazil on www.state.gov.

Comments

Comments

central72
April 20, 2012

W.W. writes:

pamela
Massachusetts, USA
April 20, 2012

Pamela in Massachusetts writes:

I do believe this has been going on for a long time. With the light being shed on Sex Traffic. We need to clean up our own "House" before we can tell the rest of the world about human rights. Change is coming!

DonaldM
April 21, 2012

Donald M. in Virginia writes:

@ Pamela in Massachusetts

The United States tends to tell other Nations what they should be doing, hence why we have so many wars. Sex Traffic should be stopped. Anytime kids are kidnapped and used for sex traffic is horrible. Venzuala especially, has been in the spotlight regarding this terrible disease which plagues society. I would think its up to each Nation's Government to police its own country to ensure kids are not being abused by this trade. The problem is how many people who work in law enforcement are looking the other way or being paid under the table not to take action. Corruption happens everywhere. Lets hope and pray that Governments can crack down on its own problems and not expect the United States to be responsible to handle their problems. We have enough to deal with in the United States!

END THE SEX TRADE & SAVE THE KIDS!

wall39
April 21, 2012

W.W. writes:

Wikileaks and Berlusconi :

If what is happening to Berlusconi is true means that the declassification of information purposly done with wikileaks is true therefore in an open era :

Silvio Berlusconi like Bill Clinton

Actually better Berlusconi and his politics of National Socialism

Melissa
Maryland, USA
April 21, 2012

Melissa in Maryland writes:

Hypocrisy

John P.
Greece
April 21, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ Donald M. in Virginia

I some kind of generally agree with the basis of your comment my good friend Donald.

By the way, Best regards! However,

I think, it’s a bit more complicated…

Telling them what to do, teaching them the right vs. wrong, giving them the “know-how” is not exactly a costly, or dangerous path for the good “Shepard”.

It’s what somehow happens with planes and ports. You provide the Green light for procedure, but not everybody is invited to “my airport”… unless he/she accepts my hospitality rules.

What I mean is; [Eric wrote it the other days…]

(My words) You cannot help somebody that does not accept your help… especially due to “under the table” reasons. But you have to keep on trying, until you find the “guy” who does not give a “damn” about the “honey”.

(Parenthesis): concerning Venezuela; please don’t mention this country, because their dictator is an ego-idiot!

I know you are a smart guy… Do you expect collaboration from idiots?

function14
April 21, 2012

W.W. writes:

Luv Melissa In Maryland

April 22, 2012

@ John P. and Donald M,

My friends, You both have valid points to make, and I only have one question of you both (as well as the international community via Dipnote)

Since Assad isn't listening, bashir isn't listening, and the killing rages on, isn't it about time to stop thinking you can convince idiots to mellow out and simply take it on faith that no matter how hard it may be to physicly remove them from power that that's the only way to bring stability and peace eventually?

When a plan ain't working, better find one that does...

...'cause there ain't no help for idiots, and no hope forthcoming from those who are obligated to protect populations from what I can tell.

I'm flat sick of being witness to all of it.

EJ

got43
April 22, 2012

W.W. writes:

week in review :

my life is still
Trying to get up that great big hill of hope
For a destination
I realized quickly when I knew I should
That the whole world's MADE UP OF this brotherhood of man...

And I try, oh my God, do I try
I try all the time in this institution
And I pray, oh my God, do I pray
I pray every single day FOR A REVOLUTION....

And I, I am feeling a little peculiar

you know...

End the Lobby End the Lobby now : no fear only dignity

John
Canada
April 22, 2012

John in Canada writes:

Seems Iran's advancing the "open concept with American drones" - I think Eric once made mention of some criticism of being open in regards to military affairs. Just one of many reasons why open societies is a cute concept but totally unfesable in a complete and meaningful way. Only half measures at best.

'http://www.voanews.com/english/news/middle-east/iran/Iran-Says-Building-...'

Seems law makers forget that Iran has friends, the likes of Russia and China... If a bit of technology fell into the hands of the British - would America not want in on the action?

Its a mistake to view things in such a narrow unrealistic focus. Like it makes sense that America and friends would engage in ways but others are too lowly not to. Sounds kinda like the arrogance the British had during the war of independence. How did that work for the British?

Common sense boys and girls - check the arrogance and wishful thinking at the door.

April 22, 2012

@ John in Canada,

As I recall from the last time "Open government" was topic-du-jour, I was being critical of your "wishful thinking" on the question of what "open" means in regards to military affairs,...and asking you to check you attitude in at the door for getting insulting towards me over explaining this to you.

Corruption takes many forms, including the intellectual dishonesty involved in putting words in someone else's mouth, so I strongly suggest you not try to do that again with me, unless like John in Greece, it comes with a transparent disclaimer! (chuckle).

Maybe if my words and analysis were as much a matter of discussion and internal deliberations among members of this government as they seem to be among members of this forum; just maybe I wouldn't be sick of being witness to intractable conflict and international foot dragging on the world stage to resolve them.

LOL!

DonaldM
April 22, 2012

Donald M. in Virginia writes:

To all my friends

I think when growing up in the United States you realize what it takes for something to change and materalize. People have made many sacrafices for our country. We had the voice that most countries do not offer. I seriously doubt that the leaders of Iran, Venzuala, Cuba, China, are concerned about our blog. I just believed that like the United States laws need to be enforced, sex trafficers need to placed in jail. The freedom for the kids. No human being on earth should be kidnapped from their family and forced to do things against their will. There should be major United Nations Secuirty acts and resolutions that each country on earth should follow to prevent this from happening.

Godspeed and peace out!