Secretary Clinton Discusses Elections in Burma

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
April 3, 2012

On Sunday, April 1, Burma held parliamentary by-elections. Many Burmese people took part in the campaign and election process for the first time. In this video, taken during a press availability at the Friends of the Syrian People meeting in Turkey, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton comments on the elections and congratulates the Burmese people who participated. This video, courtesy of the U.S. East Asia and Pacific Media Hub, also includes still images from Burma's election day. You can find additional photographs and resources on U.S. Embassy Rangoon's Facebook page.

Comments

Comments

Mari
April 4, 2012

Mari in California writes:

Why do you insult them by calling them by their colonial name, instead of Myanmar?

palgye
South Korea
April 11, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

The pressure on Hong Kong of China, the economic situation is causing difficulty?

or

others?

palgye
South Korea
April 11, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Burma.

As a neutral zone in Burma, political, and economic growth is hoped that (the critical resources of oil, but oil changes everything in Burma is putting a hard thought.) Aung San Suu Kyi wins the election, but still a few parties, and China while excluding the impact of democracy, When I try to settle quickly,

I If a dispute arises between the countries in Asia, I think is highly likely to occur in the sea about 3 to 5 years,

However, such a possibility raises in Burma,

Now, in cooperation with China to revive the economy time to think. China, Indochina and give a helping hand, thought I'd be a better situation to occur.

I'm sorry, but perhaps in cooperation with Burma's current ruling government and the need to think. Through negotiation rather than war, the country transformed into neutral while the food supply, the next step should lead to believe that the economic system.

Q-I that occurs in Hong Kong than in Burma are more interested in has a lot of things. I like the idea of ​​China's economic situation in Hong Kong to that affect? Is a political judgment?
Perhaps, to think that the political and economic judgments.

palgye
South Korea
April 11, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Foundations of Smart Power?

i'm interesting.

can involve?

April 5, 2012

@ To the people of Burma;

Change is inevitable, peaceful change is desirable, and democracy R us, sayeth the people.

"Regine replacement therapy" comes in many forms.

For some, it comes via bloody upheaval after a lifetime of dictatorship, other times a dictator acceeds to a people's will and embraces democratic change.

We in the US engage in "regime replacement therapy" every 4 years, 8 if the incumbant is lucky...we do so peacefully and by the vote, as has become and is becomming of our democratic traditions.

My best wishes to you the people of Burma, that these changes may serve you well forevermore.

And as for the friendly folk who brought the "Flying Tigers" to your shores long ago, I have no doubt my government will support you in living "in larger freedom".

EJ

upon78
April 11, 2012

W.W. writes:

and another mandela ... and another obama .... and another mother teresa ... and another another another... always the same soup warmed up

never another christ

DonaldM
April 9, 2012

Donald M. in Virginia writes:

I have a solution for Burma. When the State Department is ready, I will give it!

TotoAZHMHJ
Bahrain
April 18, 2012

David in Bahrain writes:

Hello my name is David C.

I just surfed this forum and already love it.

Nice to be here, see you soon on others forum topic ;)