U.S. Suspends Embassy Operations in Syria

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
February 6, 2012
Embassy in Syria

The United States advised the government of Syria that it has suspended all embassy operations effective February 6, 2012, given ongoing violence and a deteriorating security situation. All official U.S. embassy personnel and their family members have departed. In a statement, State Department Spokesperson Victoria Nuland said:

"We, along with several other diplomatic missions, conveyed our security concerns to the Syrian government but the regime failed to respond adequately. Ambassador Ford has left Damascus but he remains the United States Ambassador to Syria and its people. As the President's representative, he will continue his work and engagement with the Syrian people as head of our Syria team in Washington. Together with other senior U.S. officials, Ambassador Ford will maintain contacts with the Syrian opposition and continue our efforts to support the peaceful political transition which the Syrian people have so bravely sought."

The United States warns U.S. citizens against travel to Syria and recommends that U.S. citizens in Syria depart immediately. The Department continues to reach out to U.S. citizens we believe remain in Syria. Please direct inquiries regarding U.S. citizens in Syria to SyriaEmergencyUSC@state.gov. Callers in the United States and Canada may dial the toll free number 1-888-407-4747. Callers outside the United States and Canada may dial 1-202-501-4444. Go to travel.state.gov for the latest information.

Effective immediately, the Polish government, acting through its embassy in Damascus, serves as protecting power for U.S. interests in Syria. Only emergency services for U.S. citizens are available. Neither U.S. passports nor visas to the United States are issued in Damascus. For emergency assistance, U.S. citizens should contact the Polish Embassy at 963 954 666 693 or damaszek.usint@msz.gov.pl.

In a statement, U.S. Ambassador to Poland Lee Feinstein said, "I thank our trusted Polish allies and friends for assuming this important responsibility in support of America and its citizens. On behalf President Obama and Secretary Clinton, I thank President Komorowski, Prime Minister Tusk, Foreign Minister Sikorski, and the people of Poland for this act of friendship and solidarity."

Comments

Comments

John P.
Greece
February 6, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

A very wise SD move I'd say as long as the Mission was in danger and Syria did not want to help, collaborate and provide diplomatic security.

Now Syrians got the problem...

palgye
South Korea
February 6, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Fire in Moscow, Russia make me useless.

There are so many inequalities. But now nobody accepts that inequality. However, the inequality is not a social one, at birth, which began almost ten million people that one of your challenges to overcome, is execrable situation.

United States issues a totally different situation and the system will have a itseu.

Maintenance is too conservative and progressive forces that jinbona opposition also seek to do with the money and power, the people only makes it difficult. I called Korea the forces of society to change a little bit I looked, but mostly for their own lives to see the success and the success, too tired.

South Koreans can talk to.

If successful, illegal, or degree of corruption that is so trivial ....

My opinion, even those in power out corruption, to think that living life just for reference. At the expense of somebody, before I had to rescue them in a different way to think ....

palgye
South Korea
February 6, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Suspend?

Be a little disappointing that the Russian government in 2011, Russia should be helping, I talked to - that there was no practical effect that the Russians think, solving Syria`s problem not help at all, I am sorry for you, I think.

I think, i`m to be impostor.

hour93
February 7, 2012

W.W. writes:

No way really ? why?

Merle I.
Arizona, USA
February 7, 2012

Merle I. in Arizona writes:

I think the U.S. should step into Syria. Shame on us and the other countries that are watching this happen.

Seymour P.
February 7, 2012

Portia S. in the U.S.A. writes:

Susan Rice should be fired. She is a shrieking harridan and an embarrassment to the United States.

Ole
February 7, 2012

Ole in New York writes:

February 4 2012 will forever be known as the day true enemies of humanity came out. their dens are in Moscow and Beijing, not in Damascus or Tehran. dear Madame Secretary, President Obama and others, please support the Magnitsky list(aka the Kardin list), the Churov list, the Jackson-Vanick amendment, and be brave and determined enough to overstep Putin or Chinese Communists's objections and go on with military operations against the murderers they support, if the need be (and it appears the need already is)

Bev P.
Australia
February 7, 2012

Bev P. in Australia writes:

Both the United Nations and the Arab League are lame dogs. How can the world sit by and watch people die with their jaws blown off,people cowering in basements in Homs, & Assad genuflecting in prayer!

James V.
Georgia
February 7, 2012

James V. in Georgia (U.S.A.) writes:

I applaud the efforts of Madame Secretary and the rest of the State Department in the Syrian crisis as well as the pressing matters around the world. Your timely publication of information and transparency in these matters is much appreciated.

palgye
South Korea
February 7, 2012

Palgye in South Korea writes:

ridiculous to me?

i think so...

at any rate...

"About events that occurred in the North, in a similar way, if you promise to prevent a recurrence of the incident, and Syria to resolve the problem conversation begins to think there's a chance. veteran doctors to be supported rebels in Syria? If Syria does not solve the problem adequately, the Republican attack, you need to provide weapons, I think that is for free."

PS

Australia flooding,

is need

The Black Knight.

F. C.
Maryland, USA
February 7, 2012

F.J. in Maryland writes:

Thank you to the Polish People and their embassy in Syria.

Syrian A.
February 8, 2012

Syrian American in the U.S.A. writes:

I don't see how NATO with the assistance of the U.S can help protect the Libyans but refuses to help the Syrians I am positive that the Assad will not step down he will fight to the last breath,and in the mean time that will cause the people to practice self defense, which may turn the country into another Afghanistan god forbid.

Zharkov
February 8, 2012

Zharkov in the U.S.A. writes:

I would post a comment on this topic except that the Patriot Act, the NDAA recently enacted, and Homeland Security have chilled my desire to speak freely on any official website run by this government.