Photo of the Week: Advancing International Security

Posted by Hannah Johnson
February 3, 2012
Assistant Secretary Gottemoeller Delivers Opening Statement at 2012 Conference on Disarmament

This week's "Photo of the Week" comes to us from the First Plenary of the 2012 Session of the Conference on Disarmament (CD) in Geneva, Switzerland, on January 24, 2012. Assistant Secretary of State for Arms Control, Verification and Compliance Rose E. Gottemoeller delivered the opening statement for the United States on the progress on arms control and disarmament that has been made over the course of the past year.

Assistant Secretary Gottemoeller said, "The New START Treaty entered into force on February 5, 2011.… The treaty represents a strong foundation for further bilateral reductions and an important step on the path towards a world without nuclear weapons. Discussions between our two governments on the next steps are underway."

Assistant Secretary Gottemoeller also discussed beginning negotiations on a Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty (FMCT). She said, "If the CD fails to deliver an FMCT negotiation this year, we will again have shirked our responsibility to move forward towards a world without nuclear weapons…. We recognize that this is a crucial year for the CD as an institution and that the UN General Assembly is monitoring our progress closely. Let's seize the opportunity to make real progress here and restore the vibrancy of this once vital institution. Business as usual is a recipe for disaster."

On February 3-4, 2012, global leaders gather for the 48th Munich Security Conference, an annual event that addresses common security challenges. The 2012 Munich Security Conference agenda includes a broad range of issues. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton will address the conference, where she will reaffirm the fundamental importance of the transatlantic relationship and Europe's role as an essential partner in addressing global security challenges. You can follow her travel to Germany on state.gov's trip page as well as on Facebook and Twitter.

Comments

Comments

John
Canada
February 9, 2012

John in Canada writes:

@ John P. in Greece - only an ideological infant speaks in left, right and center. or someone who wants constant conflict.

Some people don't think in these terms, myself included- not many of us around these days.

Me - if you make sense, are a stand up person (does what they say), dont rip me off or attack me (or my family), lie, care about justice - hate corruption - care about life - as they say in toy story - you've got a friend in me.(laugh) Otherwise piss off.

if you dont plan on staying; then dont go at all. You will just spend and lose with that game plan.

We have very few artists left in the world today. Perhaps today's "logic" scares them away.(laugh)

On a funny note - You know I was applauding the American governments use of media - I sent 2 emails to my government - 6- 7 months later they replied. Im wondering if im in the 1800s or something (forgot I sent 1 of the emails). But hay at least they responded - I suppose. But conversing that slow- could you imagine if it was something serious. (laugh)

The right and left of the falls depends on where your orientated - My wife likes directions like this (right and left) - Give me north, south, east and west. Otherwise I'm lost.(laugh)

John P.
Greece
February 9, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ John in Canada

John Canadian, where the right or left side of Niagara Fall is…?

you never answer just one question, remindimg me of Z school

John-an ideological infant

John
Canada
February 9, 2012

John in Canada writes:

"John Canadian, where the right or left side of Niagara Fall is"

"you never answer just one question, remindimg me of Z school"

Seems that is the nature of this blog on dip note, John In Greece- look at the previous posts on this thread alone- I ask many questions/ I also respond with a view - but does anyone answer? No (Eric is the exception but avoids some of the tough questions).

I posted a few for you. Did You answer - Yes with a stupid question. (laugh)

Its been fun - I ll leave you to your Muppet show.

(Laugh)

February 9, 2012

@ John in Canada,

You asked me how kinetic intervention helped, and I gave you a number of examples of how it did, and the world's better off I think.

Now problems are goiung to arise, just not those problems anymore...and if you've read anything I've said on this blog, you'd understand why I agree with you that Saddam should have been removed from power in '91.

Just not for the same reasons, it comes down to a willingness to get the job done right the first time, so a lasting peace becomes possible.

So getting back to Iran, the thought of a "limited strike" to take out nuclear facilities , rishing retaliation by leaving the gov. intact to be capable of giving that order is not sound strategy.

The problem isn't the nuclear facilities, the problem is the leadership of Iran, and without them, the world would indeed be a better place to raise kids in, as hard as it may be to achieve "regime replacement therapy" and eliminate Iran's balistic missile threat to the region from get go.

A gov. should either be willing and capable of eliminating Iran's capacity to make war, or it should rethink going to war.

And if any Israeli official is reading this, they are welcome to come on this blog and challenge my premis of how best to get THAT job done if they like.

By the way, you should think about refraining from attacking people personally for they may end any and all conversations with you. I'm just calling you on your rudeness in general aspects, and hope it gives you something to consider when discussing Foreign policy on this blog.

It's a sure sign that you lost the debate before you got started insulting people, instead of sticking to the issues in a reasonable and non abusive manner.

I'm being nice...just don't get me to the point where I describe your method of debating as being derived from the fact that your mommy and daddy were brother and sister, I don't want to get personal with you on a negative level.

It's like you're asking for it,...and I'm not playing. This goes for what you say to John in Greece or anyone else, best to tone it down a notch.

best,

EJ

earth26
February 10, 2012

W.W. writes:

@ john in canada

Faith

February 10, 2012

@ John in Canada,

Even if I had the time to entertain all your questions, those you consider "hard" that you acuse me of avoiding I find to be generally posed from a point of flawed perception, thust to try and answer a question based on a flawed premis about America renders no answer to give you based on reality as you percieve it to be, which frustrates you since I'm not giving you the answer that you were hoping for.

Now if you want to rephrase a few of them and try me again, I might think about it, but I'm not inclined to carry on this conversation so long as you take such an arrogent attitude that the folks your talking with are "muppets".

This ain't Sesame St. and you ain't five years old anymore, so grow up already!

"http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/site/entry/unesco_education_holocaust#C..."

(excerpt of post)

Given the situation in Syria, the escalating violence, the shelling of Homs, and the aquiesence of some nations to allowing this to continue; wheras the President of the United States has once again called for Assad to step aside, along with other leaders calling for Assad to as well, I have the following recomendation.

Come Monday morning, a coalition of the willing introduce a chapter 7 resolution into the UNSC's agenda, and give notice to those who may be opposed that whether or not it passes in the UNSC, that Assad will be removed from power by force if neccessary and call upon Russia to serve notice to Assad in their meetings in Damascus that we will not compromise with evil or its supporters.

---

So now folks are getting together as "the friends of Syria" on the international stage and talking about working outside the framework of the UN, and possibly with the UNSC at some point in the future regarding Syria, as for the "three tracks"( Diplomatic, pressure on Assad, and humanitarian relief - as outlined by V. Nuland today in briefing), eventually circumstances will force folks to accept that a humanitarian intervenytion is in order and then all three tracks will be combined to work interactively together.

And just maybe folks will call it, "regime replacement therapy".

EJ

John P.
Greece
February 10, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ John in Canada

QUOTE: I think we have a language barrier John in Greece - what you are asking makes NO sense. END OF QUOTE

I apologize if my English is not that good like your native ones. I imagine your Greek is better than mine, right? Or your native is French? Maybe this way we could probably understand your sympathy and interest for Iran & Co.

Nevertheless, I agree concerning the “barrier”, although I’d call it lack of intelligence compatibility between us.

It’s the only way I can explain -using my silly brain- why you can’t understand a childish pre-elementary question.

Let me put it in an elementary level to help you big one:

U.S.A. is the No1 Power on earth with a vision, values and a proposed platform for the new millennium Democracy –unless you have objections on this too. Do we decide that we follow a strategically policy that allows and imposes “engagement” wherever the need is? Do you agree that U.S. is obliged to keep on proving its role as a hyper power that helps nations, people and Democracy around the globe? Or, you dream of a U.S.A. Fed locked in the closet like your friend Z?

“The people will remember who supported their freedom and who did not. It's why America has no permanent enemies.”

Why do I think that the Strategic Thought Team in the White House will understand my point, but you will remain with your “barrier” life boat, saying that I am too complicated and rather non-sense?

It’s because you don’t have the strength to answer… just a 101 question.

I won’t answer back to your insults. That’s Ok…

Besides, Eric gave you exactly what you deserve, when you don’t respect the people you discuss with, no matter on the level of agreement or disagreement.

QUOTE: John in Greece - I think I understand why Greece is so screwed - after reading your comments = it is all very clear now. (laugh) END OF QUOTE

Yes, sure! But some of us may LOL with your comments.

My dear, respected friend, (and this is not ironical) I am not commenting here to promote, protect or defend Greece. I am here on a more MACRO way: I feel American* and it’s my right to feel what I want to feel no matter if I
got an American passport, or not. You can feel and act as American wherever you are!

Do you feel American John? Or you’ll stack with your Canadian logic?

Why do I ask this?

My QUOTE: John Canadian, where the right or left side of Niagara Fall is…? END OF QUOTE

'http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/entires/disney_video/'

Sometimes people cannot understand the “river effect”…

So, next time you characterize my question as stupid, just think comparatively and read.

Before you characterize someone as stupid on the ground that you cannot understand him it’s more polite to ask instead of making assumptions.

Now tell me; where the right or left side of Niagara Fall is…?

The Muppet show TEAM

(Laugh)

February 10, 2012

@ John in Greece,

I'm not sure "Right and left" are the working dynamic dimentions of Niagra Falls, seen from the guy in the barrel's perspective.

Ask Assad at what point he'll realize he can't get out of the river, and a long drop awaits?

Best,

EJ

John
Canada
February 10, 2012

John in Canada writes:

@ John in Greece

Why does it pain you so much to hear other views?

Or are you the type that listens only with those that agree with you?

If you hear from only those in agreement - you live in a bubble unaware of the world around you - like a child in a temper tantrum.

If you can only attack a view point with hostility - I can only surmise that your view is too lame and weak to provide any valid argument. Or sir, you do not know what you are talking about. Either way conversation is pointless.

Why so angry? Is this why you want war? Live out your anger vicariously?

Your close to Syria - get off this board and put your money where your mouth is - or do you prefer to watch American soldiers do all the work or European countries that have to pay Greek debt do it- Work, mouth pieces and wimps like you wont do.

Son, you have know idea what I think or feel nor do you have any sense of where I stand - you see in only one narrow way - you assume things you do not know. And you ask the wrong questions.

If you were not so self absorbed. You may see things a little more clearly. Personalities like you are why we have conflict - immovable ignorance.

If I cant understand what your question is - Logic dictates I cannot answer. I am a native English speaker. My Greek sucks - that's why I am not on Greek language message board being hostile to native Greeks who dont understand me and I them.

If you have questions about this post ask Eric to explain. He and I are not all that different in view on most things.(still some misunderstanding - even English speakers can have crossed wires in communication and not understand each other fully)

Given that English is not your first language - do you think it just might be possible that you don't understand English well enough to grasp the subtleties of what I say?

Many Europeans learn English by watching movies and listening to music - My experience has taught me that while they seem to be able to converse on some level in English - deeper communication often reveals they dont understand the language or the nuances of that language - they also get mad when this becomes apparent.

You clearly have not read or understood what I was posting - It is beyond hopeless to comment further on the subject. But in closing; a few points.

What ever you hate John in Greece - look in the mirror because your as bad as all that you hate.

you act exactly like anyone with a fundamentalist viewpoint either political, religious or social. -Your all the same.

Whats up with your love affair with this Z person - I have not spoken about him - I dont always agree with what Z speaks but non the less people out there think like him. Whats your solution John in Greece - KILL EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH YOU? Genocide against all who disagree with John the Greek - how very WW2. (Laugh)

Have a nice day. Please come again.

John P.
Greece
February 10, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ John in Canada

Thank you very much John for your kind words. Actually I did call Dr. EJ, but due to time zone limits, I could not reach him and I had to make the diagnosis alone.

In your case, I am between Korsakoff’s and the Star Syndrome.

In such cases they say that for an accurate diagnosis the patient can provide help by providing some proper answers to the Doctor.

- John do you feel American? (I mean do you love the United States of America?)

February 11, 2012

@ John in Canada,

"If you have questions about this post ask Eric to explain..."

Ok, I will;

Guy comes into a bar with a chip on his shoulder hoping someone will knock it off and then complains to the management when he gets into a fight...

This wouldn't be you would it?

(chuckle)

Enough already with the personal BS, and get on with making sense.

That's my advice...

EJ

February 11, 2012

@ John in Greece,

My perscription of late for the "blah's" was watching the funniest touchdown in history last Sunday.

Being in Greece, you have a grandstand view of all the changes taking place around the Med., and a way of inspiring me to consider your perspective, whether somwe find it "simplistic" or not, we arn't the "muppets" Ernie and Bert.

Honorable members of the "peanut gallery" all perhaps, but that's why folks have a comment section on this blog.

(chuckle)

EJ

John P.
Greece
February 11, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico & John in Canada

Dear Eric,

Thank you very much for your good words Sir.

According to my lexicon, near to my Webster’s No1 definition of “Sir” should be your name because you are THE BEST!

There is no problem with John in Canada… (It’s ok Bro!)

I’ve learned to love the poison rather than the snake.

Obviously, John in Canada has a problem with me, but this is also OK!

I don’t have a problem with him. In fact, I like his feedback, especially if he was more polite in a diplomatic forum like this.

But that’s also OK!

My best EJ –I wish you the best weekend, although, John in Canada will call us a lobby (LOL)

John
Canada
February 12, 2012

John in Canada writes:

@ Eric.

@ John in Canada,

"If you have questions about this post ask Eric to explain..."

Ok, I will;

This wouldn't be you would it?

(chuckle)

Enough already with the personal BS, and get on with making sense.

That's my advice...

EJ

Eric if you think I have a chip on my shoulder you are way off base.

My past posts, which conveniently - some very valid points were in fact raised - went completely ignored.

So if you want sensible communication - then by all means communicate. sometimes that includes the tough questions asked and answered (back and forth -thats how it works)- like it or not.

Now if you dont want to talk outside the official government party line - your choice. But don't expect more then anything but cheer leading and drivel on here)

You see Eric, You proved my point with your own analogy (noted above)- you guys are always on about fight, fight, fight - yet call for peace.(laughable)

You Ignore facts and trumpet doctrine (why I asked how much you guys are paid)

When inconvenient facts that are raised, which in my view challenge your "doctrine". You either ignore it or try to "cleverly belittle " the inconvenient bits and the person." You use the term ethical infant often - how very appropriate.

"House of cards" and "hot air come to mind"

So if you want to talk - then by all means talk (which means talk the tough stuff and if you spew BS dont expect not to be challenged - and when you are challenged then step up and express you views - or are the views expressed just that weak? That you cant express them; without looking foolish.

Ill leave you and John P in Greece to carry on - perhaps your correct Eric - you never know who reads these posts - they seem to get their ideas from the likes of you and John P. in Greece.

Sorry Eric that you can neither appreciate or understand the common sense - that one cant communicate with another who asks questions that make absolutely no sense at all (or refuses to engage - or are pointless)

frankly teaching roaches the benefits of contraception would be infinitely more rewarding.

Enjoy the Muppet show at Dip note guys.

@ John P. in Greece I was going to respond to your last post as infantile as it was - but why waste the time in engaging in such a fruitless endeavor. Neither you or Eric are remotely interested in engaging on these boards - unless the other party agrees with what you trumpet.

John P.
Greece
February 13, 2012

John P. in Greece writes:

@ John in Canada

Here is only a few of what you have written about me in this post.

Besides, I don’t mention your personal attacks on Eric. Readers can judge…

Some of JOHN's in Canada QUOTES:

@ John P in Greece -- "Logic" (laugh) What you call logic is simple minded.

(people have been thinking like you guys from before America was America -not very modern).

What you call logic is devoid of common sense.

Same game + past performance = very predictable results.(or is this too logical to comprehend?)

I'm not sure I would call it logic - Epic stupidity but certainly not logic nor common sense.

Do you guys provide tin foil hats at the border for visitors by the way? (laugh)
-- a visitor might just disappear because of some paranoid, deluded bureaucrat that has not stepped out of their office in decades and reads 1940s military doctrine. (life is just so scary - so kill it - so very logical)

Seems that is the nature of this blog on dip note

I posted a few for you. Did You answer - Yes with a stupid question. (laugh)

Its been fun - I ll leave you to your Muppet show.

Eric can make some interesting posts - you can continue to nod yes, yes and gush - WW can put some alternative thought - Zarkov can come on in here and You and Eric can attack his view.(Laugh)

Why does it pain you so much to hear other views?

Or are you the type that listens only with those that agree with you?

If you were not so self absorbed.

If you have questions about this post ask Eric to explain.

Enjoy the Muppet show at Dip note guys.

END OF QUOTES (Chuckle)

John I asked you twice, but you never answered me if you "feel" American.

Now I have to ask you if you think that this kind of language is appropriate for a diplomatic Blog?

Anyway- No hard feelings!

February 16, 2012

@ John in Canada,

As John in Greece has already itemized your methodology of human interaction on this blog, I don't need to repeat his work, just sayin'...

...don't believe everything you think.

You'll be the wiser for it.

For my part, I've tried to illustrate some of the thinking processes behind the decision making on policy, and to continue to offer you my time and patience to render a little perspective for your benefit would be at this point like casting pearls before swine, for how you've appreciated it, apparently.

Even though I tell you the truth, and am generally ahead of the news cycle in my assesments of the parameters in most cases.

If you don't care for what I have to say...fine, but I know when a fellow has lost his point in debate when you devolve the conversation into being all about your personal problems with those you're having a conversation with in snide insunuations of people's character.

If you can't appreciate someone telling you strait the way it is, then that's your problem. As it stands, maybe I should get paid to put up with your insults. So where do I send you my bill?

So check this, you did hear it from me first;

'http://www.nti.org/gsn/article/syrian-missiles-chemical-arms-big-worry-us/'

"Now as far as physicly intervening in Syria is concerned, one has to make an assesment as to whether Assad or his military commanders acting independantly would launch, transfer and/or sell off chemical and or biological weapons that Assad's regime has in inventory."

Posted on Fri Feb 10 on;

'http://blogs.state.gov/index.php/site/entry/recent_events_in_syria#Comments'

John, there's a lot more physical evidence than this to suggest I know my gov. a lot better than you do in general applications in regards to foreign policy, so you may want to show a wee bit more respect for the people you interact here with on this blog, and quit picking fights you can't win with folks.

That way you might actually learn something new for a change.

In otherwords, grab a much needed attitude adjustment before you bother me with your personal problems you're having in general with human interactions... again, that's what a bar is for....not a blog (chuckle).

EJ