Secretary Clinton Delivers Remarks on U.S.-Turkey Relations

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
November 1, 2011

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered remarks at the 2011 Annual Conference on U.S.-Turkey relations, hosted by the American-Turkish Council in Washington, D.C. on October 31, 2011. Secretary Clinton said:

"Before I begin, I want to say, on behalf of President Obama and the American people, that our thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost loved ones and their homes in the recent earthquake, also with the rescuers and with the people of Turkey, because of the scenes of heart-wrenching suffering, but also exhilaration, bravery, and compassion that lift the spirit: the tiny baby girl who was pulled alive after being trapped for 48 hours, then her mother and her grandmother being saved, and then a 13-year-old boy. These great testaments to the resilience of the human spirit were very touching to all of us."

Secretary Clinton continued, "So I want to emphasize that the United States welcomes Turkey's growing role in the region and on the world stage. Now, we do not always see eye-to-eye. In fact, no two nations -- or two friends or even two members of the same family -- ever do. But we are confident that as Turkey assumes the responsibilities that come with increased influence, our partnership will become even more productive in the years ahead.

"Tonight, I want to focus on an aspect of our relationship that sometimes receives less attention but is increasingly central to our future together; that is, U.S.-Turkish economic ties and Turkey's growing economic leadership in the region. As I explained in a speech earlier this month in New York, the Obama Administration is elevating economic statecraft as a pillar of American foreign policy so we can continue to lead in a world where power is often exercised in boardrooms and on trading floors as much as in battle space."

Secretary Clinton concluded, "we believe Turkey's economic leadership has the potential to support positive change far beyond Turkey's own borders or own neighborhood. Turkey sends more than a quarter of its exports to nations in the Middle East and North Africa. Its companies are, therefore, investing heavily across the region. Turkish businesses are helping to rebuild Iraq. They are one of the largest sources of foreign direct investment in Egypt. And Turkish planes have already resumed flights to Libya. Along with political change and reform must come economic reform in this region. To succeed, the Arab political awakening must also be an economic awakening."

The full remarks can be found here.

Comments

Comments

Normita
November 1, 2011

Normita in California writes:

Madame Secretary,

Thank you for the wonderful work you do for us in the U.S. and around the world.

On this very sad day, my husband and I send our thoughts and prayers on the passing of your most loved mother, Mrs. Dorothy Rodham. I lost my mother many years ago but still feel her presence around me. Your mother will always be there with you with her warm embrace - happy and proud of you.

With deepest sympathy,
Normita F.

ask67
November 1, 2011

W.W. writes:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see

Do NOT seek hope but pray for the gift of faith

Make a covenant with us, and we will serve thee

Liberté, égalité, fraternité must be guarantee to world population beside any personal spiritual believes :

We all must move toward a common future made of evoulution, made of the same vision of peace security and prosperity

For some reason we all are called to share the same reality

ilia
Puerto Rico
November 1, 2011

Ilia in Puerto Rico writes:

Madame Secretary

I would like to express my condolence to you and your family in this time of sorrow. A mother is precious, yours was and will always be precious in heaven. She reminds me of my own. My mother too endure hardships in life. She was orphan, but raised my sister and me very responsibly. I m very proud of her.

My heartfelt prayers to you and your family.

Anne G.
Wisconsin, USA
November 2, 2011

Dr. Anne G. in Wisconsin writes:

Madame Secretary,

Please accept my sincere condolences on the death of your mother. One never adjusts to the loss of our best friend.

Let the energy that created this world of trouble and joy keep you safe and warm.

I have met you several times at various campaign events and always marveled at your strength, courage and vision.

Your mother was certainly so very proud of all your accomplishments. She can now rest in great peace and satisfaction.

Anne M. G., Ph.D.
Professor Emerita of Politics

rouzbeh
Iran
November 2, 2011

Rouzbeh in Iran writes:

I just heard the news about Ms Clinton's mother. A mother's place is for ever in the child's heart and I know how sad her loss might be. May god bless her soul.I'll have her in my prayers tonight. My sincerest condolences to Ms Clinton.

palgye
South Korea
November 2, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

mourn to Secretary`s mother gone.

TC
Connecticut, USA
November 2, 2011

T.C. in Connecticut writes:

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at the passing of your mother. I am certain she took enormous pride in your accomplishments and even more in the quality of person you became. Her influence and example will live on in you and your daughter.

Carolyn D.
November 2, 2011

Carolyn D. in New York writes:

Madame Secretary,

I wanted to express how saddened I was to hear the news of your mother's death. Although I obviously did not know her, I have always had the sense that she is largely responsible for your own warmth, humor, resilience, courage, and quiet abiding confidence with which you have faced adversity in your own life. That you managed to maintain such loving, closerelationships with your mother and daughter while doing so much for women around the world is one of the qualities I admire most. She must have been so very proud to be your mother.

I had a dream - to see your mother and daughter standing beside you as you took the oath of office as the first woman President of the United States. There will be one proud mother watching from above when you do so in 2017.
I still have a dream.

My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Buket E.
Turkey
November 9, 2011

Buket E. in Turkey writes:

Dear Madame,

First of all I would like to express my condolence to you and your family on the passing away of your beloved mother.May God bless her soul.In all your success your mother had the most important part I am sure.You are a very strong and accomplished woman leader for all other women around the world.I want to thank you for your pointing out this important issue in your remarks.I do agree with you that Turkish Miracle has becoming true with the help of our partnership.We Turkish people are so happy with the increasing prosperity,economic growth and peace stability.I would like to see the same opportunities or more should be given to women leaders.Then our Miracle will reach the top in the coming years.Thanks again for your optimism,support and partnership.

Kind regards,