Travel Diary: Secretary Clinton Delivers Remarks at APEC Women and Economy Summit

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
September 16, 2011

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered keynote remarks on the inclusion of women as an economic growth strategy at the first-ever Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Women and the Economy Summit (WES) in San Francisco, California on September 16, 2011.

Secretary Clinton said, "Now there will be a temptation on the part of those observing or covering this summit, perhaps on the part of those of us attending it as well, to say that our purpose is chiefly to advance the rights of women, to achieve justice and equality on women's behalf. And that is, of course, a noble cause to be sure and one that is very close to my heart. But at the risk of being somewhat provocative at the outset, I believe our goal is even bolder, one that extends beyond women to all humankind. The big challenge we face in these early years of 21st century is how to grow our economies and ensure shared prosperity for all nations and all people. We want to give every one of our citizens, men and women alike, young and old alike, greater opportunity to find work, to save and spend money, to pursue happiness ultimately to live up to their own God-given potentials.

"That is a clear and simple vision to state. But to make it real, to achieve the economic expansion we all seek, we need to unlock a vital source of growth that can power our economies in the decades to come. And that vital source of growth is women. With economic models straining in every corner of the world, none of us can afford to perpetuate the barriers facing women in the workforce. Because by increasing women's participation in the economy and enhancing their efficiency and productivity, we can bring about a dramatic impact on the competitiveness and growth of our economies. Because when everyone has a chance to participate in the economic life of a nation, we can all be richer. More of us can contribute to the global GDP. And the gap between the developed and the developing countries would narrow significantly as productivity rises in economies from Haiti to Papua New Guinea."

Secretary Clinton continued, "...As information transcends borders and creates opportunities for farmers to bank on mobile phones and children in distant villages to learn remotely, I believe that here, at the beginning of the 21st century, we are entering the participation age, where every individual, regardless of gender or other characteristics, is poised to be a contributing and valued member of the global marketplace.

"In some APEC economies, this transformation has been underway for quite awhile now. In others, it has begun more recently. But in all, progress has been too slow and too uneven. But there is no doubt that the increasing numbers of women in the economy and the rising productivity gains from improving the distribution of their talents and skills has helped fuel significant growth everywhere. And economies that are making the shift more effectively and rapidly are dramatically outperforming those that have not.

"So if we are serious about this undertaking, if we really want to achieve parity for women in the workforce, both that they participate and how they participate, then we must remove structural and social impediments that stack the deck against them. Now, I don't urge this because it is the right thing to do, though I believe that it is, but for the sake of our children and our nations, it is necessary to do. Because a rising tide of women in an economy raises the fortunes of families and nations."

You can view a transcript of the complete remarks here.

Related Content: Fact Sheet - Secretary Clinton's Remarks to the APEC Women and the Economy Summit September 16, 2011

Comments

Comments

Adri D.
Indonesia
September 19, 2011

Adri Daniel in Indonesia writes:

Okay I'll be there

palgye
South Korea
September 19, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Apple's purchase of the semiconductor companies in Taiwan from South Korea's Samsung Electronics- for the more steps china market?

Apple's purchase of the semiconductor companies in Taiwan from South Korea's Samsung Electronics, the news that I've moved to. Diversification of businesses here gumaeseon to talk, the subject would be out, I think. However, we so far, Apple and Samsung's boring, the two companies' earnings as a society, rather than reduced, costs of attorneys to be used in buying a weekend house saw several times, is reported.

Even if a legal dispute with two companies, and we watched them, they should be, should not be involved with the story, I know that already too late. Well, at least not deteriorate more than is encouraged.

I'd love to lobby for cooperation. Is there anyone who is already doing? We might, if the money is, There is not no way. Now is the time ...

ps
Not today, but I say for Samsung's "Galaxy tab"-Samsung Electronics, posted writings would help us? Is curious. I want to add something, people do not have any money. But, that will help people, nor solve, and a 1 percent stake in Libya, and I want to talk about ....
In fact, Samsung Electronics and Apple, and for all of us feel that the story.

Katalin K.
Hungary
September 19, 2011

Katalin in Hungary writes:

what is unhealthy is when men keep women at home and abuse their power, claiming how powerful they are. what reality is that those men are weak inside like most arab countries' economy. those men make no efforts above their skills, while women hold half the sky.

Maureen
Massachusetts, USA
September 19, 2011

Maureen in Massachusetts writes:

Secretary Clinton/ APEC:

At the risk of being redundant, "There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women" Madeleine Albright.

palgye
South Korea
September 19, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Australia, Apple and SamSung

On 30 September 2011, Samsung Electronics filed by Apple in Australia, in Australia, would be convicted of patent litigation, I know. So, in Australia, "gaelreoksitaep 10.1" by 30 September of the sale are known to be postponed.

"Samsung Electronics, September 16 (Australian local time) the Australian Federal Court against Apple's claims of patent infringement and filed a lawsuit ban the sale of Samsung Electronics, with seven patents on wireless technology that Apple products have created doyonghae , indemnify, and should not be on sale in Australia for that is the target of lawsuits and iPhone smart phone, the iPhone 4, 3 GS, Tablet PC, iPad is 2, and 3 items.

Samsung Electronics claims no pay in Australia last July 28, Apple Samsung's Tablet PC 'Galaxy Tab 10.1 "prohibits the sale of a local federal court asking for an injunction to apply for the corresponding dimension is about naen. Apple "The Samsung Galaxy tab imitating the design of the iPad is invading the loss," he was asked to stop selling in Australia. Australia, yet this court did not make a decision.

Samsung Electronics plans to launch in August Galaxy tab yieoteuna court accepted the recommendation of the pending sale until the end of September were agreed. Application for injunction filed by the September 26 hearing will be resumed. "

As a way to reconcile the two companies, Rather than direct intervention, Until yesterday, I, won Australia's former Prime Minister and current information on how to resolve disagreements between, you think the story is my personal opinion. When two people working together, to think a lot of issues to be resolved, however, absolutely do not think that is a dirty backroom. Rectify the mistakes of the past, cooperation is considered.

Such a manner - On this occasion, in Australia, Samsung and Apple's way to a compromise settlement with the practical issues that arise in the course of the difficulty in finding a compromise to resolve the moderator where they experience difficulties, what about Australia that you choose? I do not know how. By ignorance. However, such a compromise rather than a tedious court battle, the two companies on the profits, make it easier to give back to society will think.

Talk to you frankly, lost the company in a lawsuit I think I would have a big impact. Samsung'd called a little bit more ...? However, for the opportunity for both companies, the size of the pie should think more should be larger.

China's tire market in the United States teach you a bad influence, judgments, in two years was found in fiction. However, the nature of electronic products, it is the time it takes to get results, 3-6 months, I think it would be enough.

Please, please believe my story one more time, I know God knows the results, all we were going to meet the expected results will occur. Please, come back legal proceedings after the economy fully.

PS:
If you believe my story, please, we have no evidence that intervention, through the media will be notified. Stories and things I do now, they naesewoseo pride, when we resist, I think it'd be useful. The two companies are higher than employees' pride is the president. I am, if you have the ability, the Australian prime minister would ask the intercession of the two companies. Also a former award ... I think the story is a never-ending litigation. First, I would like to begin mediation in Australia.

In fact, I try to talk, came to Seoul, Samsung Electronics, trying to speak to the staff, however, the result is, as always before dawn yesterday and know nothing of foreigners drinking and dancing can go to the club. Takes too much stress ... I do not think the problem will solve by yourself. To benefit companies, think that the problem of patronage. Own work, not the people who sponsor you to resolve problems between the rest of you, at least to think of the temporal consumption occurs. I keep posting this kind of problem that I is not easy. Myeotilssik must be worried. Frankly, they received sponsorship, donations and while we're - I think is the lobby - all for a living - I would like to talk.

My experience, and Samsung Electronics Win, seem to suffer retaliation. I several times, done a situation occurs, I asked for help to you, remember that most are resolved (facebook hacking, tukey nuclear palnt-Japan and more). I appreciate it, but Apple's ground, Apple yocheonghalgeogo to you for help, voters to be aware of you, I do not think the situation is unlikely to be ignored. Unnecessary legal proceedings there is no winners or losers. Please, accept, Australia's politicians can insult me, but would not presume to give up my determination.

And, the French president, Nicolas Paul Stéphane Sarközy de Nagy-Bocsa for re-election, I will be still. more, Kevin Rudd, Why angry to me? i like him. Have a chance to negotiation? between two company? He can do solving this argue?

palgye
South Korea
September 19, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

What is the danger facing the two visually, United Against Nuclear Iran

Free Iran

I am still interested in Iran, but just to support the president of Iran, the Western democracies will you have easily settled the foundation. Violence is contrary to religion and democracy. Who responsible for the deaths of Iranian citizens do I.? He accepts the criticism. However, alternatives do exist? What is actually moving against them, Is there anyone with real power? Some of the people or the impact of social reform is very small. Without outside help, I think makes it bleed for a while. You can blame cynical enemy, will not change my opinion. Iran, revived in the Middle East should be the subject of consumption and production, and political-religious fighting that is the opposite. But politics does not ignore the diplomatic situation is not the story. Considered, but not to interfere with us, I pray to God that I know will.