Detention of Sub-Saharan African Refugees and Migrants in Libya

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
September 12, 2011
Men Flee Unrest at Tunisia-Libya Border

On September 12, 2011, Spokesperson Victoria Nuland released a statement on the detention of sub-Saharan African refugees and migrants in Libya. Spokesperson Nuland said:

"The United States is deeply concerned about reports of arbitrary detention and abuse of sub-Saharan African migrants and refugees. We also understand that some Libyans are also being victimized based on the color of their skin. Nobody should be detained or harassed due to the color of their skin or their nationality, and measures must be taken to protect individuals from acts of violence.

"We have welcomed the Transitional National Council's (TNC) assurances of their commitment to safeguard the well-being of individuals throughout Libya and the TNC leadership's cooperation with those international agencies engaged in identifying and assisting those at risk and/or detained, including the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the International Organization for Migration. We look forward to prompt implementation of these measures.

"The United States is working with its international partners to facilitate safe passage out of Libya for those foreign nationals, including sub-Saharan African migrants, who wish to depart for their own safety."

Comments

Comments

adebanji d.
|
United States
September 13, 2011

Adebanji D. in the U.S.A. writes:

This is a welcome development, and I hope the endangered immigrants in Libya will soon get a reprieve.

The quick intervention from the Department of State is commendable. God bless U.S.A

Adebanji D.
Executive Director
Advocate of Rule of Law & Human Dignity

Zharkov
|
United States
September 13, 2011

Zharkov in the U.S.A. writes:

That's it?

Please be nice?

Didn't NATO bomb Libya to prevent genocide, and if so, shouldn't NATO be bombing the new government today?

Or do you merely tongue-lash them because the genocidal maniacs receive U.S. support?

What about this latest news story:
Former US Congressman Walter Fauntroy claims he saw NATO troops behead Libyans as part of the siege to overthrow Gaddafi’s regime, a conflict Fauntroy attributes to the geopolitical agenda to re-colonize Africa.

Fauntroy was a Congressman representing District of Columbia for a period of 20 years between 1971 and 1991.

He embarked on a peace mission to Libya but soon went into hiding, with many fearing he had been killed. However, the former Congressman has re-emerged to claim he witnessed NATO soldiers commit war crimes.

According to a report by Afro.com, Fauntroy “Watched French and Danish troops storm small villages late at night beheading, maiming and killing rebels and loyalists to show them who was in control.”

“The rebels told Fauntroy they had been told by the European forces to stay inside. According to Fauntroy, the European forces would tell the rebels, “‘Look at what you did.’ In other words, the French and Danish were ordering the bombings and killings, and giving credit to the rebels.”

Shocked by what he witnessed, Fauntroy fled back to the United States, vowing, “The truth about all this will come out later.”

The Congressman added that NATO’s involvement in the civil war was primarily about preventing, “all efforts by African leaders to stop the recolonization of Africa.”

CNN confirmed that Fauntroy was amongst the journalists holed up at the Hotel Rixos before he was released on August 25.

Any comments?

brian
|
Australia
September 15, 2011

Brian in Australia writes:

US govt helped create this genocide that they now back away from...at least publically. The insurgyens have been murdering black libyans, cleansing areas they control..its as if the US military cleansed Atlanta of its black residents...

SubSaharanAfrican
|
United States
September 25, 2011

S. in the U.S.A. writes:

The genocide of Black people started even before NATO invasion in places like Benghazi and continues as i type this. Thanks to internet sources and so called rebels bragging about lynching innocent immigrants in the streets and posting on Youtube, we know what happened in Libya. To issue statement like this one will not vindicate any one who, one way or another took part these crimes against humanity. Thousands and thousands of Black African were targeted, killed, raped, tortured, and lynched, while NATO is claiming "protecting civilians" and western media did everything they could to spread the propaganda that every black person in Libya, Including native Libyans, is a Gaddafi mercenary. BTW, what happened those "black mercenaries" we heard from Obama administration over and over again. Another WMD? Well according Amnesty, and other independent investigator reporters, there were never "Black Mercenaries" or it was part of well coordinated plan to eliminate "black people" in Libya. The sad thing is this tragedy happened and continues happen under the first Black POTUS. The good thing is, the world knows who perpetrated the genocide of black people in Libya.

.

Latest Stories

Pages