Pakistani and Indian Students Experience the Advanced Space Academy

Posted by Joseph Witters
August 8, 2011
Space Shuttle Atlantis Lands at the Kennedy Space Center

There are some experiences in life that leave a lasting impression and open your mind to a new world of possibilities. When I was a young boy I lived in Prattville, Alabama, and my 5th grade class took a field trip to visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center facilities in Huntsville, Alabama. I still remember the wonder of exploring space and the science involved with doing so. The sense of mission and the team exercises brought me closer to my 5th grade friends and taught me the importance of teamwork. Never in my life would I have imagined that my work in the State Department would allow me to see Pakistani and Indian students experiencing the same thing I did as a young boy.

That is exactly what happened in July when the U.S. embassies in Islamabad and New Delhi recently sent 10 students and two teachers to the Advanced Space Academy at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center facilities in Huntsville, Alabama. During the 10-day camp, the students and teachers learned about the mental, emotional, and physical demands astronauts face during their voyages. They also experienced hands-on training, including underwater exercises and centrifuge simulator sessions. The students visited an Apollo 16 capsule and a Saturn V rocket, and even experienced the sensation of weightlessness. Exposure to the inspiring world of space travel promotes a thirst for science and technology among youth. Eventually this can lead to the strengthening and expansion of the education system.

You can watch their experience here.

Comments

Comments

August 9, 2011

@ Joseph Witters,

This program seems to work so well that State should seriously think about holding space camp for the world's leadership.

Heads of State only need apply.

Sound's crazy perhaps but if folks feel confident in this program, I don't see what harm could come in at least sending invitations out.

Now I understand there may be those that doubt my gut instinct that something quite positive may come of it, but I'd say they probably suffer from a failure of imagination.

Oh heck, while we at it, let's simply get the President to issue an executive order that all members of Congress be required to attend between sessions if physically up to it, or he'll veto anything that reaches his desk until he recieves unanimous consent in reply to his RSVP.

Of course the President should probably lead the way in teaching folks how to fly in zero-G, unless he believes giving folks a gentle nudge in the apex of parabolic simulation down the length of the airplane would be percieved as "leading from behind".

(chuckle)

@ Dipnote bloggers,

Ok, on a scale of 1-10 in comparison with the idea of "rolling out the sod" instead of the red carpet treatment for foreign dignitaries- being a "5" on the scale of "we like this idea :)" - how does this one rate?

Be bold folks! You never know till you try something completely different as adaptive strategy for creating priceless moments of epiphany, can you prove to me whether it will have a lasting effect on his diplomatic efforts or not, foreign and domestic.

This my friends is what I think folks refer to as "thinking outside the box",

Brought to you from well outside the beltway...of course.

Not a think tank in town would have dreamed this one up that's just a "given"...(chuckle).

But that's beside the point.

This may be the ticket to inspire change we can live with.

My feeling is you gotta have a sense of humor to be successful in your experimentation with the methodology of the creative approach needed to instil teamwork.

I'm sure there's enough survivors of the camp who will probably attest to this.

EJ

world27
August 9, 2011

W.W. writes:

first muslim in space finally ... we make history

Roy S.
August 12, 2011

Roy in the U.S.A. writes:

What is the Art like there?

RIZWAN A.
Pakistan
August 15, 2011

Rizwan in Pakistan writes:

Humanity can go in space but muslims have honour of reaching in space about so many light years on burraq. i want to say that muslims are the one which can travel in space because holy prophrt of muslims went in space travelled so many light years proved by holy QURRAN THINK ABOUT IT

Ashim C.
India
August 15, 2011

Ashim C. in India writes:

How lucky are those who got this opportunity? US should try to bring citizens of India and Pakistan together through programs like this and then they should visit the two countries together and share their experiences together.