Secretary Clinton Delivers Remarks at USAID's Saving Lives at Birth Development Awards Ceremony

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
July 28, 2011

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton delivered remarks at USAID's Saving Lives at Birth Development Exchange Awards Ceremony "77 Inventions That Could Save Moms and Babies" on July 28, 2011. The Secretary highlighted the major barriers to saving lives at birth and how ideas from the challenge issued in March 2011 work toward enhancing development and accomplishing positive changes.

Secretary Clinton said, "...We have a tremendous opportunity to take advantage of all of the changes that are occurring in the world today and put them to work on behalf of development. We know that it's moving so quickly, there is no way to keep up with the fast-paced global innovation contest that is happening on products and goods and services, but we can do our part to make sure that we harness all of that scientific and technological capacity on behalf of the poor and the needy. And we want to do development more effectively, that has been our goal. We want to teach people to fish, not just keep providing fish to them. We want to change systems; we want to find ways to leverage the assistance we provide to change the way governments care for their own people. We want to deliver the highest possible impact for each and every taxpayer dollar that we spend, and one of the ways we're doing that is seeking out good ideas and putting them to work."

She continued, "...You know the statistics: a woman still today in 2011 dies in childbirth every two minutes. In 2009, according to the WHO, 2.6 million children were stillborn, one million newborns die every year in the two days after birth, and we just cannot watch that happening without saying, 'How can we prevent these deaths?' And we know this can be impacted on when pregnant women have access to adequate nutrition and prenatal care, lifesaving medicines, skilled health workers when they do give birth. And we've seen progress. From 1990 to 2008, the global maternal mortality rate dropped by 34 percent; in some places like Bangladesh, even more -- it went down 40 percent. In Nepal, it has now dropped 50 percent, and I have to say, very proudly, in large measure due to USAID programs and interventions.

"And yet over her lifetime, a woman in Sub-Saharan Africa today remains 136 times more likely to die in childbirth than one in a developed country. So how do we find affordable, scalable, sustainable ways to change the equation? How do we reach women and children in faraway places? How do we make it our priority to put this on the agenda of governments that have not always paid enough attention? Well, we wanted to mobilize a global community of innovators, and so many of you are representing that global community.

"We identified three major barriers to saving lives at birth. First, a lack of medical technologies appropriate for the community or clinic setting. Second, a shortage of trained, equipped caregivers in positions to help. And third, a lack of demand -- too many mothers still don't know about the care they need and where and how they can find it.

"So in March we issued this challenge, and we said, 'Bring us your best ideas.' And as Raj said, we've been overwhelmed by the response. From Nairobi to Islamabad to Palo Alto, people have answered the call. Now, I don't yet know who the winners are; I'm going to leave that to the judges. But I want to tell you that so many of your submissions, which were reviewed to me, are so exciting that, whoever the winners are, you're all winners, and you all need to continue to pursue the innovation that was selected to bring you here.""For example, if you are dealing with the very common problem of bleeding during childbirth or a postpartum hemorrhage, the most common treatment, a drug called Oxytocin, is delivered by injection. And you know injections are complicated; you require sterile equipment, trained medical personnel, the drug degrades if it isn't kept cold, which is very difficult to do in a lot of the settings we're concerned about. And so we know that new mothers in many communities bleed to death without access to the right medicines. There was a very disturbing article on the front page of I think The New York Times in the last week about what is happening in Uganda, a country that has had more attention and has developed more facilities, but even there has not kept up with the demand that is required.

"So converting that medical intervention into an aerosol spray that can be inhaled through a simple disposable device immediately after childbirth -- no needles, no cold storage, no bloodborne diseases -- has the potential to save many lives. Or working continuously to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV/AIDS -- ideally, women receive treatment during their pregnancies that will prevent transmission, and if they don't, those who are in the process of delivery, they have a 24 hour window after birth to get their children to a clinic to receive medication to prevent their child from contracting HIV. But think about it: Within 24 hours of birth, you're exhausted, you may be recovering; how are you going to get your child to where the child goes? Because we still don't have enough clinics and other settings where all these services are available in one place.

"It's been a particular cause of mine, and it's part of the driving motivation behind our Global Health Initiative is don't make these women travel hours to get their HIV/AIDS treatment and then travel in a different direction to get maternal care and then travel in a different place in order to get the kind of high, tertiary care treatment for delivery. So now researchers are developing a pouch that can last for months and, apparently, looks like something that you get at a fast food restaurant, like one of those little ketchup containers. And then a mother can have it on hand and will be able to care for her child immediately."

In closing, she said, "...[W]e have lots of great ideas that are here, and to the 600 entrants all over the world and to the 77 finalists and the eventual winners my message is the same: Please keep going with these ideas. There were so many great ideas. And figure out ways, and we will try to help you figure out ways to make them scalable, sustainable, deliverable interventions. And this is the kind of creative approach toward enhancing development that I think is in the best interests of the people whom we are hoping to serve, but it's also necessary in these times of great budgetary strains on all governments, not just my own, so that we can deliver higher impact in way that will keep our publics continuing to support this very important work."

You can read the Secretary's complete remarks here.

Comments

Comments

palgye
South Korea
July 29, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

BuSan World Conference of development assistance (Fourth High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness)

USAID is the intent of the goal-oriented and having a common subject of efforts to know each other personally in order to help develop Busan World Congress (Fourth High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness) is to promote to you.

When a brief introduction,
Developing countries and donors worldwide government representatives, parliamentarians, civil society (CSO) and private sector participants, "the General Assembly in Busan World Development Assistance (Fourth High Level Forum on Aid Effectiveness)"ë…„ 2011 for the November 29 to December 1 Republic of Korea are gathered in Montreal Bexco Convention Center.

Approximately 2,000 participants enhance ODA effectiveness and value for implementation to review the situation and assist with poverty reduction and achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) to derive a new consensus will produce.

"http://www.aideffectiveness.org/busanhlf4/"

palgye
South Korea
August 1, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

My mother two years ago in Seoul, Hyundai Asan Medical Center-http: / / www.amc.seoul.kr / medservice / main / main.

my mother 've been on the brain surgery, the doctor was responsible for his accidental failure of surgery and, my mother was a poet for people with disabilities, but the next day, the hospital's president and meet and talk to each other after the doctor, his lack of a mistake, did not receive any compensation,
I and my family, mental and economic suffering, everyday life has undergone an impossibly difficult time, I think there is such a situation.

However, I still on my mother's brain surgery, believe me, is a political retaliation. Denial of the constitutional ruler, and I keep working to attend protests, there has been a thorn stuck in for those powerful men like the idea to think that (among them, if you feel pain in the same way as me ...)

Have a problem with my mother before the fix, Hyundai will not do anything with them.. United States presidential election, even if it is relevant, I'll give up.(had i did something?)

But, please, August 02, the other day I hope to find an appropriate compromise. The new currency system or economic system, with a market ready to accept the idea that you must start at the point. 100m for people who do not finish the marathon finish the wishful thinking of the monetary reform in North Korea, caused by many factors, but North Korea to accept reform of the economic system as robust as its something they think is causing it. Pathan, while the economy, successful currency reform or economic policy, there was no successful cases, but rather open, and the local context and institutional systems as appropriate fusion was successful, I think most of the cases. Is considered open and the firewall.

palgye
South Korea
August 1, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

New "Noah's Ark"?
If the United States fell in the default state, while New York's stock market, Europe, even if the economic panic, the 24-hour time difference in Asia think the stock market will crash. The money is a piece of toilet paper, food and mineral resources in kind such as the ten thousand and two, while being traded back to the Paleolithic era, about half of the human race to die - gumgeona, war, disease, and to - people who survived, he thought only the chosen ones spread, while maintaining a completely new system to think there was a theory that.

Now change the future of our choice to think. If the default process, while very few rulers ruled the world - and still does - that the gods and to provide labor for the gods are likely to make the world when you talk, too, is leaps and bounds?

By default, avoiding the new pricing system to configure the new products and renewable energy through the attempts to reform, the hope still remains for mankind think. Most countries in the world - as in the case of the United States, health care and social inequalities, such as the reform of Medicare policies to eliminate aggressive enforcement and ...

I'm thinking too deeply. Still, trying to drive your truck cab driver I / / /

Bilderberg · BB? Trilateral Commission-TC? Cuncil on Foreign Relations · CFR?

palgye
South Korea
August 1, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

I am, of the International Conference to be held in South Korea, for the promotion of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Korea, won? the SNS journalists Came, the State Department to a blog post I link to a promoted, while the President of the United States and the Secretary of State, do you recognize me? The question If you know what is questionable is how the article was posted on Facebook, 2-3 minutes later a young woman in Korea at the invitation of the State Department's first diplomat, the State Department has a job that I saw the news, somehow the betrayal neugyeojyeotseupnida . How many times and tried to escape to the United States in exile, but the U.S. Embassy staff and U.S. ambassador to South Korea's failure to cold I think I've - many times the government's management of trying to kill me, I olrinnal then in writing, with the news When that news,
Perhaps, the State Department thinks me is completely buried. I feel it. What you are today opposed to the fact that some issues, but the opposite for me, but unfortunately occur in the future to think about the opposite. I have to carry on taxes.

Betrayal, rather than twice in a lifetime, such as a warning not to raise some of you know, I'll stop posting for a moment. Thank you for taking care of me. Many times knowing that help, it's not enough capacity, I, I think a good result will not make.

AND I DENY TO THIS-"http://www.aideffectiveness.org/busanhlf4/"

palgye
South Korea
August 1, 2011

Palgye from South Korea writes:

read some of the Korean people have laughed me. Wanted to make money or status, rather than the one that started, I was complacent. I think it's sad.

palgye
South Korea
August 2, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Syria is important, but, job making are considered more important. We'll be watching ... That progress in any direction / / / China, threat?

palgye
South Korea
August 2, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

My mother goes wrong brain surgery in Asan Hospital, still me, my family, economic, and suffering from mental, which is why they unabashedly talks about North Korea and that the Mount Kumgang tourism, will be so angry.

Responsible for the succession of another company forward to the Mount Kumgang tourist origin.

Overdue bills came, the situation is in the hospital may get kicked out, this is not easy.