Pakistani Students Prepare for U.S. Fulbright Program

Posted by Courtney Beale
June 30, 2011
Fulbright Website Screenshot

Over 125 students gathered today at the Serena Hotel to kick off their pre-departure orientation for the Fulbright Scholarship Program. The Fulbright Scholarship covers travel, living stipends, health insurance, and tuition for the entire period of study for master's or doctoral degrees at American universities. This orientation program, which is organized by the U.S. Education Foundation in Pakistan (USEFP), plays a key role in preparing students with the required skills, attitude, and knowledge to study successfully in the United States.

Speaking to the students, U.S. Embassy Consular for Public Affairs Mark Davidson said, "We are very fortunate to have the world's largest Fulbright Program in Pakistan. This is one example of the U.S. government's long-term commitment to the education of Pakistanis and to increasing mutual understanding between both countries." Higher Education Commission (HEC) Chairman, Dr. Javed Laghari, also advised the students.

Of the 94 students studying in master's programs and 32 in doctoral programs, 37 percent are women. The Fulbright scholars come from all regions of Pakistan, including Azad Kashmir, Balochistan, FATA, Gilgit-Baltistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Punjab, and Sindh, and are studying a wide variety of academic disciplines, such as public policy, health, social sciences, and fine arts. The students are required to return to Pakistan after completion of their studies to play a positive role in the country's economic and social development.

In 2011, Fulbright scholarships allowed 386 Pakistanis to study in the United States. Since USEFP's inception more than 60 years ago, nearly 4,000 Pakistanis and 800 Americans have participated in USEFP administered exchange programs.

Comments

Comments

Taj M.
India
July 2, 2011

Taj M. in India writes:

I was very glad to read this article and really appreciate US government's role to increase mutual cooperation and understanding through fulbright. I have also been a fulbrighter. My suggestion is that other countries should also come forward and host same kind of programmes for better understanding.

July 2, 2011

@ Courtney Beale,

CC: @ Taj in India,

Here's a friendly challenge from one who's had to teach himself all he ever wanted to know about foreign affairs, to all Fullbright students from the region.

Come up with a working viable plan both the Pakistani and Indian governments and peoples can live with; to turn Kasmir into a co-national park and prosper in partnership in the next "green revolution" and mitigating any desire to go to war with each other.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your thoughts posted here on Dipnote,

EJ

palgye
South Korea
July 5, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

So far, Koreans in Korea or abroad, I strive to be always helpful to look can we do about it? Please upload to your blog many times in the article that you think people are bullied. Without giving help, help ... just ask ....

However, in Durban, South Africa, which is determined. 2018 Winter Olympics to South Korea to attract the opposite. If I did not have these stories to believe. Please help me to think that saying it. Is just the opposite. Perhaps, the difficulty and the pain I went through so far, the efforts of the killer, I think he wants to become a vain effort.

Frankly, if they ride together on the return flight, crashed into the sea, you no longer bothering me in Korea, I think people are missing. How many times for the killer, trying to access, and help many times - your power - I think he gave. However,'re still harassing me. Why, I do not know. I asked him to do something like offer them, and do not want even to approach, meet with others, will bother. The fundamental way of thinking, I think how humans are entirely different. - In front of the big powers to Abu, and to ignore the poor people for self than justified, and thinks, I think. Please, come back on board their plane to crash into the sea, hoping the 2018 Winter Olympics held in South Korea is the opposite.

Honestly, if try to access it dozens of times more conversation was impossible even.

ummara r.
Pakistan
July 4, 2011

Ummara R. in Pakistan writes:

I am msc chemistry and gold medalist from BZU and i want to be Phd. Can i helped by a scholarship? I am very passionate about chemistry. Please guide me.

mahwish
Pakistan
July 5, 2011

Mahwish in Pakistan writes:

i want to get scholarship for my MBA.i am not in position to support myself.

zahid o.
July 5, 2011

Zahid in Pakistan writes:

i am studing in veterinary science at sindh agri culture university tandojam pakistan.I want to study in us at full bright scholarship in animal science

Kashif S.
Pakistan
July 10, 2011

Kashif S. in Pakistan writes:

I am a student of M.Phil Government And Public Policy and i am not financially strong to study abroad for P.hd. Plz guide me in this.