Planning the Logistics for Pacific Partnership

Posted by Thomas E. Weinz
June 16, 2011
Pacific Partnership visits Vanuatu and Papau New Guinea

While I love sharing my experiences on the Pacific Partnership with you, I want to you to hear other perspectives from the mission as well. As a result, I asked Lieutenant Commander Casey Mahon, U.S. Navy officer in charge of the Advance Echelon (ADVON) Team Bravo (for Vanuatu and Timor-Leste), to describe his role for the Pacific Partnership. He said:

"The Navy has taught me how to drive a ship, fix an engine and navigate through a harbor. But as I sat in a hot, crowded two-room medical clinic near Uato-lari in the remote Southeast corner of Timor-Leste I realized that one of the most important skills, patience, needs to be learned on the job in order to be fully appreciated. The District Administrator for Uato-lari, a hardened former fighter named Domingos, was trying to convince us to move our MEDCAP (MEDical Civic Assistance Project) from the chosen school next to the Helicopter Landing Zone (HLZ) in the center of town to a village some 10 miles out of town. Just as Napoleon's army ran on its stomach, so too does Pacific Partnership run on logistics; what is a simple two-hour walk over rough trails for these hardy Timorese mountain men was a chasm when it came to moving the miniature hospital that makes up one of our MEDCAP sites. He simply did not appreciate the physical impossibility of this request. So we kept talking about it for about an hour and a half, exchanging stories to help explain our points. In the end, we agreed to have a small four-person team go to one of the remote areas with officials from the Timorese Ministry of Health. It was a solution that both met his desire to provide medical care to the most remote people he was responsible for as well as respecting our logistical constraints in getting to those areas. It was compromise and, I like to think, friendship, that made possible the project taking place in Uato-lari next week.

"That story, for me, defines the job and methods of the Advanced Planning Team (ADVON) for Pacific Partnership. Our tasking is to find and negotiate the methods of the projects, which are recommended by the host nation and the American Embassy team, work out the logistical details crucial to their completion and, most importantly, develop a personal relationship with the people of the country in which we are working. Composed of six to eight individuals, the ADVON arrives in a country a month before the ship does in order to prepare for the large contingent of doctors, engineers, veterinarians, nurses, specialists, band members, and others who will descend ashore for an all-too-quick 12 to 14 days of frenzied activity. It is an experience which is very different from that of the folks deployed on board the USS CLEVELAND, and, though often difficult, sometimes dangerous and always fast-paced, I would not, for a second, ask for any other job.

"The ADVON process began back in October of last year, when we were notified of the Pacific Partnership mission. The ADVON teams began to investigate the countries we would visit and the operations we would conduct. From November to February, we traveled throughout the South Pacific, visiting our countries in what is called a Pre-Deployment Site Survey (PDSS). Then we went back and, working with the slowly growing group of professionals who make up the entire Pacific Partnership team, planned our operations.

"The scale of operations is, I think, hard to imagine from the pictures and snapshots that you see on Facebook or read about in news stories. Let me try to explain in words the magnitude by talking about its logistics. In Timor-Leste, we will end up using 91 vehicles (luckily not all on the same day), conduct over 65 helicopter flights, contract 480-days' worth of translators, consume around 1500 MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat), drink about 6,000 bottles of water, and utilize over 30 tents and canopies. All of this was conceived, planned, procured, and readied by the ADVON team prior to the ship's arrival When the main force comes rolling ashore, there is no time in the schedule to plan; our job is to make sure the medical professionals can start seeing patients, that the engineers can start building, and the band can start playing.

"The process is hectic, but the results are great. One of the proudest moments in my life came at the closing ceremony for the Pacific Partnership operations in Vanuatu. The ADVON Team was given a plaque by the Commander of the Vanuatu Police Force in honor of our work '…for the benefit of the people of Vanuatu.' Simple words, but they made the long hours, the arduous journeys, and the tough decisions all worth the effort."

Comments

Comments

sgysiandika
Indonesia
June 22, 2011

Sgysiandika in Indonesia writes:

Im just wondered why you do thats?are there some political factor to do that?,I plan to visit timor leste by the end of this year...I will see what happens afta sparates w/ my country at there,hope they more better then before...

palgye
South Korea
June 22, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

China

Africa's rapidly changing - just the underground resources and the workforce that provides the basic state system with only in the country - people's basic rights guaranteed as the duty, faithfully perform cost-effective foundation conditions, the formation of the continents grow if China also gains I think that is going to be. China's unemployment simplicity of manufacturers labor and material costs, and indirect cost due to rise - the social cost of rapid growth and corruption, resulting from the basic cost of living, the rapid growth is the cause I think (South Korea is similar. Singapore, except Almost all Asian countries should think in common: facilitating small differences, I think the difference is plenty - but other causes, a superficial reason, I think so.
However, the
The development of the African continent to these manufacturers, such as the rapid production of the old facilities and the need to lead to the consumption of inventory, along with the growth of China, neighboring countries, 农民 工 think the problem is present even in the smallest solution. Ah, look forward to the development of the Middle East, which would make a long exchange with Europe? Latin America to solve its own to worry seriously about the possibility to think. Countries except Brazil, rather than the expected wage is weak, providing employment intensive investment in large-scale investors, the logistics costs of the appeal included the Chinese manufactured goods are a little weak, I think. Rather, a local think about the massive investment Let's take this? Production facilities in the form of a plant that exports and investment ideas to consider are:
And, Indochina, India, Indonesia, Malaysia

palgye
South Korea
June 22, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Pacific Partnership.(Philippines)

-The United States at the appropriate time, China and the Philippines as a mediator, and regional conflicts, the cleverest, without bloodshed, to present a peaceful solution to think ... (China shares a little more promising to think the Chinese leaders should break, the prestige, the following appointments to believe.)

南沙群岛 which increases the tension in the relevant countries of the Philippines is interested in deepening. Although his troops expelled from the territory of the country, although as you sent, but remember you provide any help? I just pretend to know too, I think a little lacking. The proper way, China and the Philippines to find ways to reconcile properly to think. If you can help Philippine aggressively, the U.S. military stationed in the country, the Philippines and the same situation occurs, expelling U.S. forces, even if I help you re-planted by giving recognition, the Pentagon likely to be difficult for U.S. military operations there I think. Aggressive intervention, and the usual contributions to the partnership, as a prerequisite to think Japan was for a little more aggressively?

If, ignoring the need for assistance in the Philippines, the ability to perform in China include the war, and my judgments to include 2-3 days in major cities of the Philippines, the bombing is added and then, like 2-30% of the Philippines war-fighting ability much reduced and - Infrastructure 30% of the destruction, to surrender, you need to figure think, one week, if the large number of people as a sacrifice, a new national system, making all the, support of the people lost the government in exile, select the think of the is. And the nature of the Philippines, rebels, dissidents seomjiyeokui strengthen their struggles as someone promises to do something to them first, and thought I'd be encouraged to fight. Weaken the control of the central government to think. In fact, just proceed to target and prosecute with China, even if one week, the Philippine government is expecting to be collapsed. Only, 华侨 to worry about the damage the Chinese government is unlikely to slow down, but

While, over time, the government of the Philippines U.S. forces are not the Philippines just how dangerous a reflection on while enabling time, as long as possible, while keeping the Chinese government to persuade the two countries in the United States intervention to reconcile the direction what about? More of the shares of China, while

Without bloodshed, people around the country, influential appearance to show that I think is the best strategy.

Investment rather than a war, I think the point is that you need.

PS
In fact, China and the Philippines to war and let him think that it is the best strategy. You saved the dying over the Philippines, again, on the other stop thinking and talking about the superiority of military power, but if you, the friction between China and the war that caused many, if you think negatively about the economy, and, in the Middle East not yet finished the cleanup at the time, which caused the war, is likely to fail even more suspect.

And in Korea, a politician himself how, on an international issue in depth about how incompetent is it you think she's got time to think. If there is war,

South Korea's politicians, want more swear allegiance? (I eoryeoulttae, ask for help, but, in reality, is helping to, helping companies, not a pleasant feeling, crushing force-ish feel to help. Today. ... I do not want to fight people and taunting, which has fought many times, help the companies that work in, and I smashed me with an oath: Actually, on this occasion, their ability to politicians in South Korea deeply worried about having time to reflect and the opportunity is to have it. This is the story for me, and he does not have any powers).

My personal feeling, while putting off the back, rather than war is pyeonghwago investment (too much money in China, overseas investment, not personal believe is being invested in the family vault) for the balance of power once again, I think that you need. The time of investment, not a war, do not think things will be resolved by. And, if China wins, also in other areas, the internal conditions in China, according to sidohalgeogo try to resolve the dispute by force, I think there is the possibility of war.

Thank You.

polician`s name is, next time.....

and,
For this posting, my identity is a deeply worrying.

my opinion is-

and, South Korea's large corporations and government management and politicians, I, on the outside to express discontent, do not hesitate to think that. US Embassy?

pepe c.
June 22, 2011

Pepe writes:

Interesting article as for me. I'd like to read more about that topic. Thanks for sharing that information

palgye
South Korea
June 20, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

In the old story, but'm falling U.S. housing prices continue.

Predicted a decline in housing prices, rather than prevent the decline in housing prices falling, through citizens' housing stability, social status, the difference would like to help to overcome a little bit, though, socialist policies, but the housing economy lost citizens in crisis, providing the first, a certain portion of their income to housing prices to make payments, your credit card to make purchases on credit policy in the way I spoke, China and Brazil, the U.S. housing market, the money not appropriate to be put on if you think, once again, I would think about that poem?

PS
South-Korean singer`s music video
(love rain)
youtube.com/watch?v=0bVy59U78Po

palgye
South Korea
June 21, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Colombia's present and future of Latin America if the link always comes to mind is the movie. Harrison Ford was a hero, movie "Clear and Present Danger (1994)" will think. To strive for justice and truth, rather than his appearance, the drug of special forces to protect us from the effort, now, I think it was even more memorable films. Normal and legitimate efforts to bear fruit, sometimes, there is definition, and also a man of principle, that there is a strong strength and will, I think that is also important to recognize.

And assists in investment mechanisms, the preparation is also important to get help to think. And, like a movie is successful, I do not know what is successful, but my mind would applaud include encouragement to expect. I am told that in the past.

palgye
South Korea
June 22, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to Greece?

Greece's economic crisis to occur again,

as I watched, my personal opinion,
The loss of control, globalization, and Global will again how dangerous feel. Global meeting in our capital created by the need, there is a strong tendency to think that. Want to produce more and consume, in order to meet the needs of capital. May think that is too pessimistic, but some of the group with skills and capital, to meet their needs, that it is possible to operate at any time, and I think seeing.

Global, rather than the opposite, the loss of control over situations, I speak in the past, but a world divided by each sector, and economic to install a firewall, and will be responsible for each sector, by setting the country (?), At the end of the economic crisis far, I think that must operate intermittently. Perhaps, at the end of the economic crisis, free trade and comparative advantage through the freedom of trade fair and professional, not from inside the country, ternational worker has increased, but, now, from speculation, to ensure the safety of the countries and peoples, I think that you need a firewall. In particular, short-term speculative capital, even for a moment, think that should be by Scion. Sound Investors, Angel will be many more to be given the opportunity to be responsible to you, I think.

Tues Global, which has already been the world, and now with the promise of transparency in investment capital and Global should be required to think.

Global situation of today's times of economic crisis, I think. Although much improved .....

Thank you.

or for mom?

palgye
South Korea
June 22, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Cobgraturations, UN Secretary-General,Ban Ki-moon, His second term.
But, begins His second term comes from Secretary of State, in my thinking.

Congraturations, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

palgye
South Korea
June 22, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Pyeongchang's Winter Olympic bid in 2018 while watching the activity, personally, do not greatly interested. How many times you try to access them, but I think were in ruthlessly rejected. Rather, I think France will do something. If there is an appropriate event, I think will be a considerable help to him. In France, if you are interested in his re-election.

Personal reasons, a joke, and for France, to start now, you should start, yesterday's hard .... good idea? Pyeongchang rather say that it was in France, but there is no other way, though, in France ...

The biggest reason for the good response to the level embraced almost a joke, I got pretty shocked, recovering heart, no.

palgye
South Korea
June 24, 2011

Palgye from South Korea writes:

Economic assistance should be expanded to think.

U.S. troops in Afghanistan and the withdrawal of foreign troops, withdraw support for Afghanistan is not considered to be an advocate, I should think.

Now the military support to the government is now before the policy was established, and now the terms of the policy - an important variable negotiations with the Taliban, but there are negotiations break down, break down to overcome the policy - should be concerned with economic issues to think. Far more to offer economic aid and foreign soldiers are officially supported to use the money, the people ahpeukanitan if economic effortlessly - and corruption make it difficult to believe that everything - now the government's ahpeukanitan deny or Rather than blame,

Of a new way, to provide money directly to citizens, at least the officials and soldiers, their salary earners pay a fixed amount on a fixed date to begin by offering what about?

Realistic alternative, pilot, founded a few large banks and branches established in each city to every paycheck, a cash payment, but deposited into the account to pay, and how women's micro credit loans to provide hayeoseo ( food or medicines, such as material support Afghanistan government and the Bank co-management and distribution in any way), and economic self-reliance and internal market economy, the activation of the promoting, the least the Taliban involved in the numbers increase you will not believe. Bank support for the still from the outside that will be referred expect (tax levy also speeds up the benefits I think. Of the tax levy of the police, education and health care benefits for a gradual expansion to mean I think) Of course,
The establishment of the bank's involvement with international organizations such as the UN Monitoring, supervision, to ensure fairness of the economy until the activation and, I think that should be continued.

Why try to join the Taliban ture, the reporter's questions, "because hunger solve" a candid confession, has steered me in too much shock. Of course, the political and religious reasons, saying it is the most important reason, but there's poorest farmers readily agreed to the temptation of poppy cultivation, just as young people for their own survival, the notion that the Taliban, to prevent the need for a fair institutional is considered.

Tired of the war to them, while providing new ideas and ideals, to provide economic self-sufficiency, rather than the more appropriate way to approach the military, and until today is considered the most appropriate approach

and,
なわばり- range of forces. Territory.

Involvement of others, does not allow interference means the area or areas of expertise

Japanese. Japanese are wondering what the opinions on.

Thank You.

ps
i agrees all kind of-

Secretary of State for Afghanistan policy, all agree. Is a personal opinion. However, if you consider it again, as a last resort, is considered an honor for me.

Other suggestions were times, when you talk back to their content so long story short We may be talking briefly, the Israeli kibbutz, to introduce the way that suggests that you use a large frame. Place where the competition is between tribes. Think that should be compatible with each other.

Eileen N.
June 24, 2011

Eileen in California writes:

Let me offer a comment that is on topic here. Pacific Partnership has great resources available to them. Their manpower and equipment is second to none. As you plan PP'12 and look towards a visit to Solomon Islands I look forward to working with the team on setting up a very powerful visit that establishes a foundation for sustainable health care capacity building. Do good work and stay safe.