Professional Fellows Program Promotes Strong Relationships Between Americans and Global Partners

Posted by Ann Stock
May 5, 2011
Assistant Secretary Stock With Professional Fellows Program Participants

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to welcome over 200 young professionals from 31 countries and territories, including Algeria, Nepal, Turkey, and Ukraine. These community leaders have been in the United States for the past month taking part in the U.S. Department of State-sponsored Professional Fellows Program. The participants, who were placed in 30 states around the country, come from a variety of professional backgrounds including local government, education, civil society, and journalism. This program is a key part of the Department's engagement of civil society worldwide on foreign policy priorities like food security and global health. For example, 15 of the Legislative Fellows were either in U.S. Congressional members' Capitol Hill offices, or in their district offices. The Climate Change Fellows were placed in city managers' offices to work with local officials on climate change issues.

When I met the group, I was first introduced to five of the participants who had been specially selected to make presentations to the entire delegation, State Department officials, and other invited guests.

The Fellows are in Washington, D.C., for a two-day closing Congress following the completion of their four-to-six week fellowships with private, non-profit, and government organizations. Through these types of exchange for professionals, we hope to build a sustainable network of individuals and organizations. The second component of the Professional Fellows Program will send Americans overseas to spend time in the offices and communities of the foreign fellows who are now in the United States.

International exchanges are an opportunity to bring people together for greater understanding and collaborate on solutions to the challenges that face us all. Using international exchanges as a means to promote friendly and peaceful relations between our country and our global partners not only enhances our efforts, but impacts people's lives in a long-lasting way.

Get the latest on international exchanges via Twitter @AnnatState.

Comments

Comments

ahmed s.
Egypt
May 6, 2011

Ahmed S. in Egypt writes:

I went go To U>S>A

Ben D.
Israel
May 6, 2011

Ben D. in Israel writes:

Hello,

first, it was amaizing three day's second, how can I contact with the other fellows? climate and educational?

tnx,

Ben D.

Ouasmani f.
May 9, 2011

Ouasmani F. in Virginia writes:

I'am very happy to participate in this program and especially to Congress that allowed me to share my experience with over 31 nationalities, but also but also to learn from the experience of others
thanks to Legacy Iternational

Catherine M.
Zambia
May 9, 2011

Catherine M. in Zambia writes:

I was very thrilled for the opportunity accorded to me to participate in this prestigious program (Professional fellows program). I enjoyed the congress and it was an eye opener for me to various issues affecting our continents. Its right and befiting for this partiship to continue.

Fwasa S.
Zambia
May 16, 2011

Fwasa S. in Zambia writes:

I wish to thank the State Bureau for Education and Cultural Affairs for funding the Exchange Program through Virginia Tech. University for the Global Health Team.

The exchange was very educative and mind challenging.

The congress was a rare opportunity to meet and learn from many other professionals. Thank you for according me such a rare priviledge to present a paper before such a gathering.

I hope many others will be granted a similar opportunity to learn from and share ideas with others during the years to come.

Congratulations to the organising team for a job well done -"Meeting the needs of millions through afew."