New Passport Agency Opens in El Paso, Texas

Posted by Cynthia Haley
April 8, 2011
Woman Shows Her U.S. Passport in El Paso

The El Paso Passport Agency, located less than ten blocks from the U.S.-Mexico border, celebrates its grand opening today. As the State Department's newest passport facility, the El Paso agency will provide a valuable service to area residents by facilitating cross border travel.

By offering expedited service, the El Paso agency will make it more convenient for U.S. citizens to get a passport if they are traveling within 14 days or have a life or death emergency. Currently, applicants in this area of the country who need expedited service must travel several hundred miles to Houston or Tucson. The new agency complements the existing passport acceptance services provided by post offices and the District Clerk's office.

The El Paso Passport Agency is one of several agencies made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 -- or the "stimulus act" -- and with the support of Congressman Silvestre Reyes. Its opening resulted in the creation of 34 jobs in El Paso, and we are proud to say that the majority of the agency staff is from El Paso.

The new agency is conveniently located Downtown in the newly renovated, historic Anson Mills Building at 303 North Oregon Street in El Paso, Texas. The building sits on the original site of the 1832 Ponce de Leon ranch. Architect Henry C. Trost constructed the original structure in 1910-1911. At the time, the Anson Mills building, referred to locally as the "Mills" building was the second concrete-frame skyscraper in the United States and the tallest building in El Paso. It is located across from San Jacinto Plaza. Local businesses and community groups are working with local government to revitalize El Paso's downtown and the State Department is proud to be part of that effort. The El Paso Passport Agency staff looks forward to serving area residents and to facilitating their travel plans as we head into the summer travel season.

For more information about passports and visas, please visit travel.state.gov.

Related Content:U.S. Department of State to Host Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for El Paso Passport Agency

Comments

Comments

Molly
April 8, 2011

Molly in Washington, DC writes:

Just in time for the government shutdown. Loves it!

palgye
South Korea
April 8, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to,

New Passport Agency......it`s federal? it`s be...

someone prevent Shut down and negotiate Democracy(Mr President Barack Obama) between Republican if success, oil price may be down(more Libya militia winnning and export oil to us give a EU economy stability?)

EU-need more activity of German, england, France, also need firewall, regional firewall... global?....................................repeatedly?

stock price is may, may up to, we want to, - do not have a special factor in the stock market rises, the federal government's spending, even away ... Now, rather than someone's political victory, the citizens and the longer remember the sacrifice of someone's going to expect. I think everybody is exhausted and tired. Economically ..

it`s means hero, Female hero is come again?

even if, japan`s crisis...

I think the Prime Minister's hard to understand, but I look at my position, situation, Moderator of the negotiations over concessions and compromises, I think. Ground in the election, I think everyone will die, in social, economical part

PS

Eldrick Tiger Woods

want to enter in political field?

new wind need in United States Congress? .......i think, he have many friend, just like a golf... i think, than politian.

Thank You.

palgye
South Korea
April 11, 2011

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Shut down prevent, yes prevent... not avert, i think, so much effort....Secretary, State Department

and,

As far as I have two people working, win I think. Now, only one should I choose? Or, two people had been excluded from all is? Call letters'm bouncing. If rejection happened, I knew was wrong, I'll give up. Thank you very much.

Thank You.

S-Korea is S-Korea. they have their`s territory. they...... just, not given name card.

RAUL
Texas, USA
June 22, 2011

Raul in Texas writes:

i would like to know if i can get my U.S passport card wiyh you in 1 day?

Kay
Texas, USA
January 1, 2012

Kay in Texas writes:

My passport expires in April. I would like to renew it. Would you please tell me where to send the one I have and the amount for a new one. I can't find your address in the phone book.

Luke F.
January 1, 2012

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ Kay in Texas -- Thanks for your comment! You can find instructions on renewing your passport here: 'http://travel.state.gov/passport/renew/renew_833.html'.

For additional information, you can contact the National Passport Information Center by telephone or e-mail.

From the United States, you can call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793). Automated passport information is available 24 hours, 7 days a week, or you can speak with a representative Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., EST, excluding federal holidays. Those outside the United States should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

You can also send an e-mail to NPIC@state.gov. Most e-mail inquiries are answered within 24 hours.