U.S. Helps Pakistan Achieve Best Year in Mango Exports

January 4, 2011
Vender Packs Fruit in Islamabad

About the Author: Alberto Rodriguez serves as Spokesperson at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan.

Members of Pakistan's mango industry gathered at a conference in Islamabad today to celebrate the successful 2010 mango season. It was the best year in the history of Pakistan's mango exports. With U.S. support, Pakistani mango growers began exporting to European markets, upgraded infrastructure, and prepared for shipments to the United States.

Demand for mangoes is growing around the world. With annual production exceeding 1.5 million tons, Pakistan's mango sector is poised for tremendous growth. This puts mango exports on track to directly benefit two million Pakistanis, generate employment, and boost the economy, especially in Southern Punjab and Northern Sindh.

"The American people have been working hand in hand with Pakistani mango farmers, government officials, and entrepreneurs to get Pakistan's mangoes into the international markets," said Andrew Sisson, Pakistan Mission Director for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).

USAID helped local producers ship mangoes by sea to major fruit and vegetable importers in Europe for the first time. USAID also supported introduction of internationally recognized quality certification, helped upgrade infrastructure, and assisted in setting up links with international buyers. Pakistan's first-ever mango exports to the United States are expected in 2011.

"Pakistan's mango farmers have demonstrated tremendous dedication and investment this past year, with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture and U.S. Government support," said Federal Minister of Agriculture, Nazar Muhammad Gondal. "Their successes will encourage other Pakistani farmers to attain international standards and certifications and compete in the international mango market."

Comments

Comments

Pablo
January 5, 2011

Pablo in Washington D.C. writes:

Which European markets shown the highest demand for Pakistani mangoes?

Jas
United Kingdom
January 8, 2011

Jas in the United Kingdom writes:

This is all very well and admirable however, I hope that the State Government will apply equal vigour and enthusiasm in persuading Pakistan to free and return Mr Sarabjit Singh to his two daughters, wife and sister in India.

Mr Sarabjit Singh has endured more punishment than a human being should have to endure. For most of his 20 years of incarcertion, he has been confined to solitary confinement, and until recently, he was shackled in his prison cell. ("www.freesarabjitsingh.com")

A civilised and a developed State has to respect and observe human rights, as well as international law.

AK N.
Pakistan
January 14, 2011

Nazir in Pakistan writes:

Jas. This is no place to make your rants. Go protest somewhere else

Mazhar R.
Pakistan
January 19, 2011

Mazhar R. in Pakistan writes:

Judging by some adverts in local papers, medium sized growers may have benefitted by certain programmes but small sized, below 50 acres, have been left out .

I being one such small grower am waiting to see how these much talked about exports to USA impact the larger mango market, which is grossly under valued as per present day commodity prices especially that of cane. This year has seen some cutting of mango orchards and land shifting to cane growing, if the trend continues then of course mango will rise but few will have the orchards it took a life time to grow.

Jas
United Kingdom
January 30, 2011

Jas in the United Kingdom writes:

To: Nazir,

Thankfully I live in a free and a democratic country and I enjoy the right to express my opinions. Accordingly, I will say what I like where and when I like. I do not need to patronised by likes of you.

Taimur Z.
Pakistan
April 12, 2011

Taimur Z. in Pakistan writes:

As far as I know USAID has until now had no role whatsoever in mango exports from Pakistan.

Sajjad Q.
Pakistan
May 1, 2011

Sajjad Q. in Pakistan writes:

Dear All,

Well, you would like to eat Mangoes from Pakistan afresh this year, you may very well know that USDA (APHIS) have uplifted the prohibition/ban on import of Fresh Pakistani Mangos to USA for this coming summer of mango season.

If you really like to eat Pakistani Mangos then happy news is that our tasty mango will reach USA markets to Chicago Port via Air Cargo in commercial consignments for USA buyers.

We are exporter/supplier of White Chaunsa, Langra, Sindhri mangos to USA this year as well. Any one of you can contact me directly through my e-mail for orders and if you find some buyers/stockists/shops/fruit market and can have arrangement to buy in bulk plz do not hesitate to contact me here (sajji_aroma76@yahoo.com)

We will provide/supply 4KG box containing 6 fruits per box of fine quality packaging as per USDA standards with Phyto-sanitary certification from Pakistani authorities as well as USDA/APHID at the port of entry in Chicago Port. Our final price FOB basis will be discussed on the demand order or settled after obtaining such demand from buyers.

Kind regards,

International Fruit Company (IFC)
Islamabad-Pakistan

Masood
Nebraska, USA
May 9, 2011

Masood in Nebraska writes:

This is a great news for me that soon we could buy Pakistani Mangoes in the US. I can't wait to taste the most delicious fruit of the Nature. Unfortunately, for last 15 years I have never had any Pakistani Mango. I am truly craving for the sweet aromatic taste of Chounsa, Sindhri, Langra, Malda Dusehri & Anwer Retoul (The best in taste) There is no match to Pakistani Mangoes. I have tried Mexican mangoes in the US and every time I eat it I regret to waste my money. Indians think that their Alphonso & Kaser are the best, I believe they have never tried Pakistani Mangoes thats'why they are living in the world of allusion.

Long Live Pakistan & Pakistani Mangoes.
Masood

Cathrine G.
India
May 20, 2011

Catherine G. in India writes:

This site largely focuses on the support given by the American government to the Pakistani fruit growing farmers and others involved in the mango business. International Quality certifications, upgrading of infrastructure and process technology and identifying buyers in the global market for the Pakistani mangoes are a few of the US support services. Throwing open channels to the European and US markets is one more.

Kamran K.
Illinois, USA
June 14, 2011

Kamran K. in Illinois writes:

Where are we with the mango imports into USA. what kind of mango are being imported and what is the ETA? I'm hearing different dates from local vendors, who may not have any clue.

Thanks

Saba G.
July 13, 2011

Saba G. in the U.S.A. writes:

Thousands of women in Sri Lanka North - are widow. No Job, no money to feed the kids. Do you have any help for them?

Altaf
Texas, USA
July 15, 2011

Altaf in Texas writes:

Insha Allah we will success in our product.good luck

Giancarlo H.
Texas, USA
July 21, 2011

Giancarlo H. in Texas writes:

I used to ne in the diplomatic core. I was stationed in Pakistan for 6 months. I must confess the taste of their honey mangoes is out of this world. In stark contrast to the harsh less subtle taste of Alfonso indian mangoes. In the states ive made do with mexican and brazilian mangoes as well as the florida range. Each is tasty and has merit but the Pakistani punjabi ones are heavenly. I hope to see them in the states this year

Rosie E.
July 25, 2011

Rosie in New York writes:

Jas please keep your unnecessary comments out of here. We are talking mangoes we are not interested in your political lobbying for the release of a convicted terrorist. Shame on you for not even being able to hold your bitter tongue in what was a delightful conversation about mangoes.

Jas
United Kingdom
November 9, 2011

Jas in the United Kingdom writes:

@ Rosie with respect, you have no right to adjudicate as to whether my comments are 'unnecessary'. It is naive of you to think that this feature is just about mangoes. It is about educating these people to stop killing each other and focusing on living.

Evidently from your remarks in relation to Mr Sarabjit Singh you must be in possession of evidence that satisfies you that he is conviction is safe and that he is a 'terrorist'. Perhaps you can enlighten us all and share this information with us. You may even been instrumental in solving in this mystery for and for all. Whilst you attending to this perhaps you can also explain why four Hindu doctors were gunned down in Pakistan: "http://news.outlookindia.com/items.aspx?artid=740698"