Key Facts About the New START Treaty

Posted by Jamie Mannina
October 26, 2010
Presidents Obama and Medvedev at the Prague Castle

About the Author: Jamie Mannina is a Special Assistant to Rose E. Gottemoeller, Assistant Secretary of State for Arms Control, Verification and Compliance.

For a period of 15 years, U.S. weapons inspectors could travel to Russia and inspect its strategic nuclear forces under the terms of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, or START. Those inspections provided important data and information and established working relationships between U.S. and Russian officials, all of which helped lead to a more stable relationship between our two countries.

But the START Treaty expired last December and the United States lost its ability to conduct inspections inside the Russian Federation. Our inspectors have no access to look "under the hood" of Russia's nuclear weapons and delivery vehicles, according to a U.S. military official.

The New START Treaty, which the Senate is considering for approval, will restore crucial on-site inspection and verification measures.

The Treaty will impose lower limits on the world's two largest nuclear arsenals to levels not seen since the 1950s and put our countries on a path toward future deeper arms reductions.

The Treaty is focused on both countries' strategic offensive forces and will not prevent us from developing, testing, and deploying the most effective missile defenses and long-range conventional strike systems possible. The United States also will be free to modernize its nuclear weapons complex.

The bottom line is that the Treaty will enhance the national security of the United States and demonstrate our leadership in reducing global nuclear dangers.

Here are some key facts about the Treaty:

Aggregate limits:
• 1,550 strategic warheads. Warheads on deployed ICBMs and deployed SLBMscount toward this limit and each deployed heavy bomber equipped for nuclear armaments counts as one warhead toward this limit.

This limit is 74 percent lower than the limit of the 1991 START Treaty and 30 percent lower than the upper deployed strategic warhead limit of the 2002 Moscow Treaty.• A combined limit of 800 deployed and non-deployed ICBM launchers, SLBM launchers, and heavy bombers equipped for nuclear armaments.

• A separate limit of 700 deployed ICBMs, deployed SLBMs, and deployed heavy bombers equipped for nuclear armaments.

Under the Treaty, each party has the flexibility to determine the structure of its strategic forces within the aggregate limits of the Treaty. The foundation for these negotiated limits was an analysis conducted by Department of Defense planners in support of the 2010 Nuclear Posture Review.

The Treaty has a strong verification regime that combines the appropriate elements of the 1991 START Treaty with new elements tailored to the limitations of the New START Treaty. Measures under the Treaty include on-site inspections and exhibitions; data exchanges and notifications related to strategic offensive arms and facilities covered by the Treaty; unique identifiers on all ICBMs, SLBMs and heavy bombers; and provisions to facilitate the use of national technical means for treaty monitoring. To increase confidence and transparency, the Treaty also provides for the exchange of telemetry.

The Treaty does not contain any constraints on testing, development or deployment of current or planned U.S. missile defense programs or current or planned U.S. long-range conventional strike capabilities.

More information on the New START TreatyFact Sheet on VerificationFact Sheet on Ballistic Missile Defense and New START

Comments

Comments

Homer S.
October 27, 2010

H.J.S. in New York writes:

It's Nucular. Nu Cu lar.

October 27, 2010

Hi Jaimie,

You folks have done some good work to get this as far as you have, signed, sealed and delivered for ratification.

I often think of Sen. Lugar as "The Godfather of Non-Proliferation" not in any "Don Corleon" sense of the phrase, but as the guy who's always been there to nurture the children of the nuclear age into adulthood sans fear of things going bump in the night..

My own understanding included.

I think the Senator's remarks offer some profound insight into the political processes in play at present to ratify NEW START and some of the associated hurdles that present a great "what if" in terms of seeing a world free of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons at any point in the future.

If I'd been there, I would have asked the following questions if given the chance to.
I don't know that he'd be able or willing to answer them, but they are important ones to find answers to I think.

1) Does China really think that supporting North Korea's leadership, when it threatens nuclear war at will with the US and allies, and which continues the starvation of millions of its citizens, is in actuality promoting "stability" in the region?

Who do they think they are kidding? Not the American public I hope, because that's who's going to hold them liable for whatever happens next, sir.

2) How long will the US gov. keep on gathering physical evidence of Iran's support for the Taliban and al-quaida associated groups in Afghanistan before we lay it all out on the UN Sec. Council's table and Congress authorizes the use of force at this current President's request, in preparation to remove the regime from power unilaterally or otherwise to put a halt to their terrorist activities world wide;
Ending any internationally "unacceptable" possibility they'll gain nuclear weapons capability?

3) Would you consider July 2045 a reasonable target date for the international community to have at last rid the world of nuclear weapons ( 100 years exactly from the first one detonated in White Sands, NM ) ?

4) Barring the possibility that you'll serve for another 30 years of distinguished service to this nation and the cause of international sanity sir, who would you think of first to fill your shoes and carry that torch forward when you ultimately retire?

(If anyone could that is.)

"http://www.c-span.org/Watch/Program/2010/10/27/HP/A/51366/Sen+Richard+Lu..."

Jaimie, I'm wondering if you or anyone else @ State would or could answer these (save # 4 which only the Senator could).

I would say that if you'all don't know the answers, then you better put your thinking caps on and figure it out before folks make good on their ill intent and political stupidity.

The 2045 date should be the easiest question to handle in your personal capacity, so let me rephrase it a bit.

I don't know that anyone knows if its do-able so whether it's reasonable as a target date is relative to that paramater, but in your opinion and this Dept's, would you'all consider it to be a desirable goal with such a timeline attached?

It could help motivate world leaders I think if they have a fixed point out there on the event horizon to shoot for.

But is it an acceptable policy goal for this country given the President's Prague address and the realities of the global security architecture in place, the national rivalries and the growing nature of threats at present?

I'm sorry, I don't ask easy questions.

But you know as I once suggested awhile back, "this ain't no namby-pamby blog." (chuckle).

So I figured I give you a shot at proving me accurate in that assesment.

Best,

EJ

October 30, 2010

Quote of the Day-

"There are those in America that are trying to flex their muscles and pretend they're ballsy by saying, ‘we've got to keep those nuclear weapons.' (They think) that's very rugged, when you say that. It's not rugged at all. It's an idiot that says that. It's stupid to say that."

--California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, criticizing opponents of a new U.S.-Russian nuclear arms control treaty.

Source: "http://gsn.nti.org/gsn/"

---

Gotta love it, do you think the "Terminator" wants to terminate a few folks on the Hill?

Seems so.

John P.
Greece
October 31, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

I am 43 in April. For decades, I was believing that nuclear weapons is a need for our western security. It took me just one EJ’s comment, concerning “nuclear chess” to START me rethink.

I did not know this “game”.

Dear Eric, can you remind me of the game rules and forward a link of this archived comment of yours. (I mean the part of the experience you had playing with a friend plus the rules)
[in my words:
(You will find out that sometimes you may have the Queen + the King + 2 soldiers and whatever, the other player just his King and a soldier and the whole result can become a tie, all of which is Earth’s disaster if it was a nuclear chess game. Right?)]

(I just kept it in print out due to my computer problems)
But I cannot find the print outs due to my SOHO mess. (LOL)

(nuclear chess – nice title for your book, especially if you don’t write it in fiction way, but in a high-level diplomatic language for College-University students)

Andre
Russia
November 1, 2010

Andre in Russia writes:

I've just posted an article on the matter on my blog: "http://orientalreview.org/2010/11/01/russian-reset-policy-to-be-reviewed-i/" Any feedback from the US State Department would be appreciated.

John P.
Greece
November 1, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

@Andre in Russia

With all the respect Andre, I won’t hit this address due to web security reasons.
I trust only “live” links (SD is right!). Here is the Blog…

Why don’t you copy and paste your article here?

Please don’t misunderstand me, but I prefer the “privacy” security of DipNote, than an unknown source.

I am looking forward to reading you…

November 2, 2010

@John in Greece,

Been too busy trying to stabilize my current circumstance that I haven't had time yet to go through the archives yet to save it to hard drive. I have a little time yet but need a freekin' miracle and a steady job.

But basicly it went like this:

Game is played as normal. Players on having determined who is white of black on the board take 3-4 (or more depending on player's agreed on level of "nuclear deterrent" but no more than 6 per player), then prior to setting up pieces for start secretly mark the underside of chosen "nuclear" pieces or pawns, then set them as wish in the proper place among the rest, and the game begins.

Any piece that has an "N" marked can take out all squares ajacent to the final position of the "move to take" another including diagonally adjacent , 8 squares total in all, removing all normal pieces or pawns in those squares regardless of color. the attaking nucke remains then as a "normal" piece in the square it has launched the attack on.

(with the exception of pawns which are more like nuclear terrorists and don't survive on the board if used in such manner, and removed from play as well)

Any piece marked "N" that is attacked by another is defused but remains in place as a normal piece or pawn, the attacker is returned to its starting place of that "attacking move", with the exception of being taken by a piece marked "N" , then they both go off taking out everything including each other for 2 adjacent squares.

The king being in a "bunker" must be mated by either a normal piece as in normal play or by a "direct hit" by a piece marked "N", and is not subject to the "blast radius" effect described above.

(otherwise it would be an almost instantaneous win for White upon the third or fouth move of the game every time rank and file were blown away.)

Castling either side makes the rook "bunkered" as well as the king, it can move normally and opon moving is no longer "bunkered" unless moved back to original "castled position".

P.S. The king if moved at all or moved "after castling" is also "out of it's bunker" and then it can be subject to "blast radius" and taken without so much as "check" and/ or "mate" being made normally as the nukes are "invisible" on the board to the opposing player.

I think what I said in the original post was that one would find that there won't be a whole lot of pawns left after the "opening"- there's a short midgame and not much of and end game either and that it usually ends in a draw unless one has made a fatal error in judgement.

Puts "speed chess" in a new perspective.

I had originally come up with this adaptation to convince a fellow on my high school chess team that nuclear war was un-winnable and to demontrate to him the effect on civilian populations...IE: "pawns".

November 2, 2010

P.S. John,

Andre's link is ok, "safe" by AVG anti-viral, anti-rootkit, anti-spam/spyware on board my box...no bells or whistles went off.

Interesting read.

A corrolary article may be found here;

"http://gsn.nti.org/gsn/nw_20101101_4543.php"

(excerpt and quote)

"I will advise my colleagues to ... return to discussion of our conditions for ratification," Duma International Affairs Committee Chairman Konstantin Kosachyov wrote in a blog post on the website for Ekho Moskvy radio.

---

PPS. Rules of "Nuclear Chess" are subject to change on a political whim.

John P.
Greece
November 2, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

@Eric in New Mexico

Do you describe myself? (CHUCKLE). We have familiar problems. Unfortunately, as I see, financial crisis is really global!

Thank you very much for finding the time to reply to me. I understand how difficult this period is for you. But, I am sure that a great personality like you, with such an intelligent brain and a unique attitude will very soon find an extremely successful path.
“Jack of all trades, Ph.D. of all” –Remember? (CHUCKLE)
So, I do not worry about your career. Everything will be fine!

Taking advantage of this off subject “Dipnote” (I hope the moderators will offer me a few line catachresis) to you, I honestly and through my heart feel the need to let you know that it really is/was my honor speaking with you all these years. You are the most interesting and constructive debater I ever had the chance to talk with in my life so far. So simple!

You see Bro, DipNote has the power to connect people. Even in cases when someone lives in the desert and the other one near the sea! Especially if these guys have the ability to see, foresee and believe in!

Don’t even think that you will disappear from this Blog permanently.
I am anticipating to read and learn more from you, either when you have some time, or on a regular basis. After all, I think that now you already have the “DipNote virus” inside your soul. So, I’m waiting for your new posts.

I will attempt to make the atmosphere a little bit more happy and positive:

Why don’t you apply for a job at “Kim’s factory”. He will sure appreciate your thesis. (CHUCKLE). Of course it’s a radioactive job, frequent Geiger detecting on-site (North Korea), but surely well paid by Kim and powered by Mahmoud.
Nevertheless, a steady job.

LOL! (I wish you the best Bro)

November 2, 2010

Well John, being blessed by adversity is an oxymoron, a hypothetical state of being based on faith that one can overcome it. I can remember my joy but that don't mean I can rationally anticipate miracles anymore, folks have disapointed me more often than not.

That day can't come fast enough for all of us.

Somedays I wonder what might have been had I not been the only person to show up to register for the FSO exam @ UNM in 1977 and they had actually let me take the test instead of telling me I'd have to go all the way to Denver to take it since not enough people had showed up to register to make it worth State's while to give it to just one guy with a tie-dyed tee shirt and pony tail. (I didn't have even the bus fare to get there.)

That's like the month after I'd blown the ACT college entrance exams away with a score that put me in the 99.8% percetile catagory above everyone else in the nation that took it.

By the time I had taken the FSO exam in the 21st century a couple times, I'd pretty much forgotten all the stuff crammed into my head as a youth.
Anyway, this isn't a "dipnote addiction"...this is just a vehical for inspiring people to think. Been doing that for long before this blog's existance, officially, and on the record.

It might be a daily habit, but Dipnote really has nothing to do with that considering how many people I've pissed off doing so in my life...(chuckle).

I would think that the game of "nuclear chess" is completely topic relevant here, so don't worry about it.

I'd cerainly be perfectly willing to teach Aminidijad or 'lil Kimmy boy how to lose it...just play the game with me once and find out it ain't "winnable". See, a "draw" becomes unihabitable and mankind starts over...loser-loser forevermore. Back to the drawing board. The fatal mistake is playing that game in the first place.

“Jack of all trades, Ph.D. of all” ;

Was as I remember putting it, "Jack of all trades, master of a couple, and willing to take on those "Piled Higher and Deeper" in academamia.. for the real world is a very comprehensive teacher."

Just to correct the record.

I see no one was up to the challenge I put to think tanks via invitation (they get paid to think not blog), and not even this blog author of this topic above is willing to even acknowledge the questions I put before him here, let alone attempt to answer them.

Gotta love the level of interaction around here sometimes...(I'm being completely sarcastic)

Well I guess he might get fired if he tried to, "talking out of school" as it were, and I'll just have to pre-emptively forgive him I guess, because it might be mistaken for some "official position" rather than just good constructive debate in answer put to valid question on this blog.

It's really too bad that...

But telling nevertheless, as to how much room for improvement actually exists here in the public discourse.

Quote of the Day-(maybe the "understatement of the year" award recipiant too)

"We have to worry [about weapons of mass destruction] far more than we did not too long ago. North Korea and Iran being people that we worry about the most."

--Canadian Security Intelligence Service chief Richard Fadden, discussing concerns about potential diversion of the nation's nuclear material to foreign weapons programs.

A Canadian court in July found a Toronto resident guilty of attempting to send nuclear goods to Iran.

"http://gsn.nti.org/gsn/"

Well, We know what the score is don't we?

It's costing my nation bookoo bucks to put up with ethical infants and we're no safer today for doing so all these years.

That's a fact "Jack" and every tradesman knows it, especially construction workers like myself who know a thing or two about nation building.

Aye well, if folks choose to ignore the analysis underlying the questions I've asked, time will only serve to prove its correctness at everyone's expense. Nothing I can do about that.

But man, I sure would hate to have to come back and tell folks I told them so, because I'll really be upset at that point.

Life is good and then you get one, but it remains to be seen whether folks take seriously the notion of giving that opportunity to our children and grandchildren while ethical infants, dictators and terrorists remain in power to wreck havoc globally.

And if folks are starting to think "all the kings men and all the kings horses" can't put the global economy back together again, just wait until they start a war with us, and then it will be obvious why that is.

Good luck to you too my friend.

EJ

November 3, 2010

@John,

Connecting a few dots here from another thread...

Seems Gov. Tom Ridge agrees with me on this, and I agree with him in his quotes below, "On all souls day we need not fear those thigs going bump in the night, it's what we know's out there we got to get together to contend with." -EJ

"We arn't a nation that lives in fear."
-Gov. Tom Ridge

But in his talk he said it would be generations before terrorism was a thing of the past and/or at "managable level" and I agree with him that it's been going on for thousands of years; But if he's telling me and everyone else that it will be our kids and their kids who'll have to win the war on terror then I'm here to tell everyone @ State and My Commander in Chief that this mindset is wholy unnaceptable.

Folks just arn't thinking creatively enough, and have surrendered to a "failure of imagination".

I can see how we can eliminate the sponsors of terror and fear in less than a year through "regime replacement therapy" if we really wanted to, and we definately need to, in order to level the playing field for people's hope and dreams of liberty and enough to eat.

If nations were signed on in mind and policy to actually protect populations why continue then to allow 'lil kim to starve his people?

Why if nations are holding the evidence of Iran's support for terror do nations leave them to keep breathing in their so called soverignety to enjoy "safe haven"?

We are in a way, are nations so afraid to win it hands down? Allow Syria and Iran to destabilize Lebanon, work against lasting peace in that region and support those that threaten the peace of nations?

Karzai better give the Iranians nothing in return for the influence they seek to buy or he becomes traitor to his own nation while Iran supports the Taliban with arms and roadside bombs that harm his people.

Russia be our partner in peace but have their own agenda, which doesn't always work to secure the peace of nations, I appreciate their willingness to work with us, but it needs to have greater focus and consistaqncy in all this.

China is playing a fool's game if they think supporting 'lil Kim is in anyway providing any measure of "stability" to their region.

They risk much by taking this stance, not just with us but as a matter of their own national interest.

I wonder sometimes at the unwillingness to act like political heros and take the unilateral steps they could to bring an end to the starvation of millions, the removal of insane little tyrants in North Korea and Burma, and foster lasting peace and prosperity in their region and earn the respect of every nation siezed of these matters in the UN.

There's a better way to handle this, and all hell will break loose eventually if they don't.

This is why I question whether China truly wants to have good relations with other nations, or simply think they can continue to thrive economicly with such a policy.

And you wonder why I want to write a book called "The cure for political stupidity"???

Let me count the ways and means, and the ammount on that bill we'll be sending folks in the aftermath.

We the taxpayers of America have provided our willingness to secure the peace and prosperity of nations, to foster good relations, to resolve comflict...and where neccessary to level the playing field for their hopes and dreams of libert by removing those that stand in the way of human progress.

Are folks so blind they can't appreciate it?

Are they so blind as to think we have a debt to pay down on? No, I think the world owes the US more than it can repay, and mostly we only accept thanks in repayment.

But today, we gotta call in to account all that folks owe humanity, for this status quo is flat unacceptable to many, and mostly they owe it to themselves to do the right thing, before failing to bites us all in the arse.

Aye well, I don't know what folks be thinkin' if they call this "progress", looks more like "south park" incarnate.

All diplomatic niceties aside, you can't do right by future generations if ethical infants, dictators, and terrorists are left to wreck havoc on folks.

If folks are starting to think "all the kings horses and all the kings men" can't put the global economy back together again, just wait till the sponsors of terror up the ante and send nukes instead of toner cartriges that go boom, and then folks will understand why I say the things I do today, and have been for a long time on this blog and for long before it ever was concieved as a portal to an interactive government the citizen can offer constructive debate on.

If folks can't discuss the obvious in public, they sure as hell can't solve these problems.

That's just a given because we the people are the ultimate solution to them.

EJ

John P.
Greece
November 3, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

@Eric in New Mexico

Your comment is a 5 STAR luxury seminar in just a few words. Strong text!
Forget about leaving DipNote. Although you are not a Top Dog (CHUCKLE), you are certainly the spirit.

I am not the SD, but I personally think that we need your writing here!

Concerning the book, I do not know how long will it takes you to reach and finish the last chapter and go to printer, but I look forward for the moment, when you’ll be in New York’s biggest bookstore for presentation.
I’ll be there too, to take the “pill” (LOL).
(I do not know if I will make it to get there, but who knows… maybe I will)

Then I’ll buy a copy and I will ask you for a short hand written dedication.
You’ll probably ask me:

- What do you want me to write down man?

I’ll reply to you:

- “Welcome to New York!”

(Thank God this New Yorker saved your life…)

Until then, a writer writes, right? (CHUCKLE)

November 3, 2010

Yeah John,

I'll have to have an exaustive index of the meanings of all those "typos" associated in Dipnote posts over the years that sort of just happen by "happy accident".

In context to the 5-star duality of the text below...as you so describe (many thanks for this).

If "Way" is/or was supposed to read "war"-, then;

"academamia" is the state of suckling mama acadamia's tit at the expense of getting life experience out in the real world building nations. (or just using a hammer to nail some boards together with for cheap housing).

(chuckle)

Story starts out some 35 years from now after all the details of the war on terror have been publicly released by the Dept of State and the Whitehouse. Wash Post has assigned a researcher to cull through and find the origins of policy making decisions, conversations, letters etc that formulated thinking at the time.

It's July 2045 and the war on terror has been won years before, nations have no fear to go to war with each other now, and a grand celebration is taking place on the Mall in DC to mark the end of "100 years of insanity" (IE: A world free of nuclear weapons), with a crochety old Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert's puppet, brought out of hiding for unfortunately Mr. Colbert's ghost hasn't materialized yet.

As "The ObamaMan" (as he's now afectionately called by one and all), is asked to step to the stage and recite a few pithy lines from the Prague speech of yesteryear, a very old fellow gets up from his wheelchair and dances a jig, the cameras roll and this seems miraculous indeed to everyone present.
Meanwhile back at the editorial desk the WP... research intern's having a heck of a time tracking down the author of a few certain pertinant letters when in the background of the office malestrom on the digital monitor... Jon invites this crochety miraculous dude to the stage to lead one and all in the jig he's just started, asks his name and the WP researcher turns around in shock and says, "That's him!" bolts out the door and blows 20 red lights in his honor to grab the interview before he disappears from the public eye forevermore.

DHS and Mall security swarming as he rushes up to the stage (thinking this poor WP research intern is a terrorist attacking the former president), tackles the guy at my feet (see I'm that old guy doin' the jig) and a few minutes of fear and confusion reign as the "Obamaman", Jon Stewart and I get it sorted out as to why this intern is "dying to meet me" ( well, pounded into the dirt more like), and us old folk "ObamaMan" included are rushed to the field infirmery along with the battered and bruised intern because we're having heart palpitations (from dancing so much...not fear, mind you). Steven Colbert's ghost rises from the nether regions to carry on the celebrations and "The ObamaMan" tells this intern, "Dude, that's the hard way to get an exclusive!" Jon tell the doc "I gotta show to put on! Get me the hell off this gurney!" takes a few hits of pure O2 and bids us well out the door. The WP research intern explains to "The ObamaMan", "I was actually trying to interview EJ here, been looking for him for months now.""Oh." the former president says, "Well then, I suppose I should get on with the show too", and hits the O2 a few times and splits, flashing his now "inplanted" smile shaking hands all around and indicating to security no further action is to be taken in his case.

"So" I say, " To what do I owe this honor?""The truth." the intern replies.

"That's funny coming from someone working for the Washington Post my friend, since they deleted two and a half years worth of my blog posts off their forums 'round the turn of the century. But you look dedicated to it to me, with all the trouble you went through to find me.""I know, we found record of that too, and my editor would like to make up for it.""Mmmm, well no matter now, they never silenced me."

I turn to security at the door and the doc, "Hey guys, give me a shot or two of that O2, and since no one's pressing charges here, I think we should both get back on stage and show people there ain't nothing to worry about."

I turn to the WP intern and grin, "Time will tell about those pennies in the wishing well you're looking for."" They just released the official record of the war on terror, and I found a few letters of your's sir.", he said. We never connected them to the book you wrote.""Aye, a work of fiction that...Don't call me sir." I said, "I'm just this person. Can you walk?""Yeah, doc's got me feeling no pain at the moment. But those letters wern't fiction.""Good, let's go. We got a crowd to reasure and you can push the wheelchair after. Do you think anyone would have believed the story told?""How did you get out of it anyway?""I was never attached to either." looking at him intently.

-End intro- (rough draft)

November 3, 2010

(To those it may concern)

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

You'all got my email address, all donations accepted.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Drop me in a think tank will ya?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

I just need a job, thank you kindly.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Could be a mantra, just don't nuke me.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Have you been panhandled lately?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

A Buddhist with a begging bowl, traditional practice being.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Got a book to write, can I get an advance on royalties?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Free advice might be worth nothing and may be priceless.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Pass around that collection plate won't you?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

I may be the 'spirit of this blog' but I gots to feed "the hungry ghost".

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

This economy's driving me crazy but my insanity has purpose...

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Sign says 'no solicitation' but I'm too broke to pay attention.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

A terrorist's worst nightmare at your service.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

All you "powers that be" listen up. You got jobs. I had to create one virtually.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

I'm telling you'all there's a sure-fire cure for political stupidity.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

I suppose I could sell you that answer, but this is a freebe.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

America seems to be the 'go-to country' when things get wiggy.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

We can play nuclear chess if you want to, but who wants to?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

The Pres. wants to extend UI, just extend me a little sanity please!

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Just gots to get my foot in your door, I'll take you the rest of the way.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

A prince and a pauper can take this world on downstream to the future we seek.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Being that rock in the river of duality.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

There's a 'sea of forgotten teardrops' bound by the tidal forces of history.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

When it makes no sense at all to man and beast, who ya gonna give a little sanity to?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

You can always call on me, I'll take you there...common sensical like.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

I just need a little gas money if you please.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Be ye a student of the human condition?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

'Today there is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence. It is either nonviolence or nonexistence.'-MLK

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

One cannot simultaneously plan for the American dream, and prepare for Armageddon.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

But somehow we've managed to.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Anyone who has witnessed the birth of one's child can tell you that yes indeed you create your own reality.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

We have lived so long with the reality of imminent destruction that we've become numb to it in ways that are as dysfunctional as the 'Simpsons'.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

Let us go to the 'God of War' in peace, as a family of nations.

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?

As I stand me up, who'll stand with me?

"Alms for the poor, alms for the poor?"

And thank you for listening. We can get there from here.

EJ

John P.
Greece
November 4, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

@ Eric in New Mexico

“An empty stomach is not a good political advisor.”
Albert Einstein

If that’s what you mean, I absolutely agree with you and Albert. However, “a fat stomach is not necessarily a better thinker”.

Medium is THE best –concerning stomachs, not brains for sure. When it comes to brain, I imagine XXXL is the best.

Clarification:
(I apologize if I wrote something that has been misunderstood by you. I was just trying to encourage you keep on writing – Please keep always in mind that I write and read in English here. Not my native… So, plenty of times I may be misunderstood, or I possibly can misunderstand something you people write)

November 4, 2010

It is Buddhist tradition to set aside a few grains of rice (or whatever from a meal) on the table to "feed the hungry ghost".

As much as a Buddhist with a begging bowl is not for his personal gain, but for sustinance of the community he belongs to.

A traveling monk may ask for personal sustinance in such a way, but I think I made it clear my intent to rather work for my living than be living on unemployment insurance, IE: "just extend me a little sanity please".

And writing , thinking, finding creative solutions and the inspiration to sustain that effort is work my friend, make no doubt about that. The vehical to communicate may be virtual but the effort is real.

The research involved , the time it takes, just finding an approach to a problem that addresses others associated or affecting it...takes energy, sustainability, and yes..food in one's stomach.

If for instance the US Dept of State were to accept the notion that they all by themselves cannot hope to find within that org enough people with enough time on their hands to think and do research on the intractable problems they face, then yeah, they should probably "drop me in a think tank", or simply give me a chance to work that problem independantly, give me the data to work it that may not be a "open source" ( with limited clearance ) and see what I can come up with.

It's a chance they take that perhaps a fresh look will help them.

I do it as habit anyway, and frankly I haven't asked a thing in return (except results) but in no way am I lookin' for hand outs here, just a hand up.

All humor aside, I take seriously what the president said yesterday;

" If right now we had 5 percent unemployment instead of 9.6 percent unemployment, then people would have more confidence in those policy choices. The fact is, is that for most folks, proof of whether they work or not is has the economy gotten back to where it needs to be. And it hasn’t.

And so my job is to make sure that I’m looking at all ideas that are on the table. When it comes to job creation, if Republicans have good ideas for job growth that can drive down the unemployment rate, and we haven’t thought of them, we haven’t looked at them but we think they have a chance of working, we want to try some.

So on the policy front, I think the most important thing is to say that we’re not going to rule out ideas because they’re Democrat or Republican; we want to just see what works. And ultimately, I’ll be judged as President as to the bottom line, results."

Right after 9/11 G. W. asked the American people to "put brains to work" on the problem of terrorism.

I never stopped because I take that request seriously and yeah I 'bvve been thanked on ocassion for giving my best effort and giving folks something new to think about on occasion.

On and off Dipnote over the years.

So my attitude going forward here with this suggestion is one of "help me help you." because I'm no longer in a position to sustain this effort all by my lonesome on my own dime.

I got the time, the economy's seen to that.

But even if I push back paying the bill to stay online till a week or two hense, I've got no way to pay it at present.

I'm eating at the local homeless soup kitchen bro, so let me tell you what...Albert should have applied his own relativity theory to that statement.

I've been defying odds for a long time and there's a track record to prove it.

Now whether the Dept of State agrees with your assesment of my presence's worth or not, I guess remains to be seen in tangibility.

But the offer's on the table, along with the ideas.

So where do we go from NEW START anyway...there's a topic of considerable doubt. How do we eliminate tactical nuclear weapons and platforms for delivery in the political climate today. How do we create the trust to engender this as manifest?

I would suggest folks send me everything they have on it and let me work that problem for a week, while I got the time on-line, and I don't come up with something worth sponsoring my existance as a independant consultant, then I guess folks got it covered and don't need the imput.

For one thing folks in this government are making a fundemental mistake thinking America's only concern is with the economy, when is essentially tied in with the "bookoo bucks" we spend securing the peace and stability of nations in the face of those that endanger and destabilize it.

"All the kings horses and all the king's men" was a direct reference to nuclear chess and its player's pieces on the board.

The money spent on that would eliminate homelessness if it were redirected globally.

Just crunch the numbers and you'll see I don't make nothing up.

Even 'lil Kim could feed his people.

Michael Y.
Arizona, USA
November 19, 2010

Michael E.Y. in Arizona writes:

Please be aggressive with Senate Republicans in obtaining approval of second Start treaty. Take it to Media! Get Demos to do the same & keep on message. You are doing a great job! Thank you.