Secretary Clinton Applauds Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Liu Xiaobo

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
October 8, 2010
Vigil To Support Nobel Peace Prize Winner Liu Xiaobo

In a statement released today, Secretary Clinton congratulated Mr. Liu Xiaobo on being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Secretary Clinton said, "I applaud the Nobel Committee's decision to award this year's Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo. Throughout its history, the Peace Prize has often been used to recognize the heroism of those who have, through persistent and peaceful efforts, sought to build a world that is more fair and free.

"Mr. Liu has been a consistent advocate for fundamental freedoms and human rights for his fellow citizens and for peaceful political reform. Mr. Liu's work, including his role in the drafting of Charter '08, and his receipt of this honor highlight the fact that while China has made tremendous economic progress in the last three decades, political reform has lagged behind. As I said in Krakow this summer, governments should recognize the constructive role that citizens such as Liu Xiaobo play. We urge China to uphold its international human rights obligations and to respect the fundamental freedoms and human rights of all Chinese citizens. We reiterate our call for Liu Xiaobo's immediate release from prison."

Comments

Comments

October 9, 2010

Given that the Chinese government seems quite bent out of shape by this announcement, it seems to me that the little hissy fit they are having with this is because Mr. Hu knows damn well he he will never recieve a peace prize of his own.

Least while China continues to jail dissidents and support dictators who threaten nuclear war with other nations.

Now hypotheticly speaking (and I'm probably voicing a thought most @ State would agree with, but will never voice publicly)

"IF" in the realm of "the great what if"; China were to step on 'lil Kim's neck and remove the regime unilaterally for the sake of regional stability, allowing for the feeding of millions and ultimate reunification of the Koreas, release all political prosoners in China and ascribe to a more democratic process within the next.., say 9 months,.. then I think Mr. Hu would have a real good shot at next year's Nobel Peace Prize.

I hope folks appreciate the logic of my thinking, and consider sending them a rather large bill (see many previous posts on the matter) if they don't.

Thanks for listening,

EJ

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
October 9, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

I was just wondering what is he in jail for?

If you really what to help him why don't you work on some sort of Appeal. or think of ways that he may rejoin the community with out upsetting everyone in his country.

It seems to me that if he deserves this Award.
Than why not try to make some kind of Peace between China and Him were they both come out looking Good.:) Maybe they both have had time to think, about how they could compromise and work together.And see were that takes them.

Anyways, Just A Thought...:)

palgye
South Korea
October 10, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

China and A large national companies and faceless investors

China is keen that the baby, think. Internal problems, China is still an obstacle to the current economic situation to think. Corruption is not to expect rapid economic growth ..... Well, slap hitting from the outside he would rebound more and more to China. Chinese people, Chinese people still work, but took the money they think of foreign-invested enterprises think. China has the political system and a unique system to cover all the issues I think.

P.S
I'm wrong, but from the police traffic fines and having favor stickers issued'm feeling pretty bad. Strangely, in the United States if the election is always caused me many problems. Coincidence, I think. The construction of the highway administration to help South Korea (in the construction of the road than you think their superior ability to think. Apart from technical issues, is thought to show an affinity. Friend from foe reveals itself little by little I think does a manager?)

100 million to $ 1 for a situation

and,
Brief and the personal opinions: some are stable banking industry and large corporations have also become viable in the new issue here can not keep up with production capacity of manufactured goods consumed in the slow phenomena (economic crisis was to create mass unemployment) caused a new gyeongjejeonjaengin rate war is begun. - The value of its currency, the slump in domestic exports fell by sikyeoseo a policy of trying to solve the common solution developed concurrently presented a new economic think's going to traffic congestion. United States, with the funds or lack of ability rather than "intention economy (investment) delays," it occurs - large corporations and financial conglomerates are a significant distance from the current government's policy is felt thought. - Perhaps, the end of November elections were going to wait for the investment is expected. Donations to the Democratic party a lot different than Molly's phenomenon occurs.
The U.S. government and human life and welfare of the citizens and businesses are still focused on efficiency rather than law and order is - all neungyului figures presented so far most of the best people to provide the best conditions is made more efficient private I think. -

Two kinds of problems - rate wars and new order by presenting social and economic problems to the Obama administration and the old-world systems, while maintaining efficiency fantasy that we impose a vested interest in talking about was .- present, but I The solution is to think of oil, while using non-renewable Energy, a new large consumer markets of the country by selecting doeeojul 12 +1 second I think we should respond to the crisis. Destination countries in Asia and Africa and the Middle East and Africa is still on the border of the country is expected that they will be.

Each country presented their solutions to the problem of the good from the outside, but inside me for way to solve the similar, but not only export and investment led to new investment opportunities presented onl think. In particular, the efficiency of oil falls more, but money for renewable Energy enemies or a designated national social crisis could significantly reduce the suspect.

War is not a compromise and find ways of coexistence think.

P.S
I think the most important election to win. Even once the competitor has the same color, but if his candidacy for the help I think we should win. I'm sorry. However, the forecast becoming a little too fiercely malsilsuna personal feelings may be ruined everything I think.

October 10, 2010

Well Patrick, he's in jail for doing exactly what you've just done...which is to say...speaking your mind and encoraging others to.

The Chinese government calls it "subversion".

Anyway, if the Chinese FM reads this blog, he's got my considered suggestion on how to go about "looking good" as a responsible member of the international community, and how to turn Mr. Hu into a "man of peace".

Because right about now he's the leading sponsor of a dictator who by any measure could be considered a nuclear terrorist.

(so long as threatening nuclear war defines one prior to carrying it out in real time)

Some things being awfully self evident.

palgye
South Korea
October 10, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

China to gradually present a fundamental transformation of social structure and feel.

ugg b.
October 11, 2010

U.B. writes:

I just clicked over from another site and figured I should take a look around. Like what I see so now I'm following you. Look forward to checking out your some of your posts again.

matthew
North Carolina, USA
October 18, 2010

Matthew in North Carolina writes:

It seems that the Norwegian Nobel Committee is trying to spread democracy and freedom to the Chinese people. I applaud their efforts and with their history over the past 35 years of bringing democracy to states by awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to citizens seeking governmental reform, China may be a "free" state soon.