Secretary Clinton Hosts Re-Launch of Direct Negotiations Between Israelis and Palestinians

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
September 2, 2010

More:Middle East Peace Negotiations | White House Blog: Forging Ahead on Middle East Peace Talks

Today, Secretary Clinton hosted the relaunch of negotiations to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The Secretary said, “For our part, the United States has pledged its full support for these talks, and we will be an active and sustained partner. We believe, Prime Minister and President, that you can succeed, and we understand that this is in the national security interests of the United States that you do so. But we cannot and we will not impose a solution. Only you can make the decisions necessary to reach an agreement and secure a peaceful future for the Israeli and Palestinian people.”

“…We've been here before and we know how difficult the road ahead will be. There undoubtedly will be obstacles and setbacks. Those who oppose the cause of peace will try in every way possible to sabotage this process, as we have already seen this week.

“But those of you here today, especially the veterans who are here today, you have returned because you have seen the cost of continued conflict. You know that your people deserve the benefits of peace. The core issues at the center of these negotiations -- territory, security, Jerusalem, refugees, settlements, and others -- will get no easier if we wait. Nor will they resolve themselves.

"Success will take patience, persistence, and leadership. The true test of these negotiations will not be their first day and it will not be their last day. It will be all those long days in the middle, when the path toward peace seems hidden, and the enemies of peace work to keep it obscured. But we are convinced that if you move forward in good faith and do not waver in your commitment to succeed on behalf of your people, we can resolve all of the core issues within one year.

“You have taken the first steps. You have both embraced the idea of a two-state solution, which is the only path toward a just, lasting peace that ensures security and dignity for both Israelis and Palestinians. I fervently believe that the two men sitting on either side of me, that you are the leaders who can make this long, cherished dream a reality. And we will do everything possible to help you. This is a time for bold leadership and a time for statesmen who have the courage to make difficult decisions.

“…And I want to conclude by just saying a few words directly to the people of the region. Your leaders may be sitting at the negotiating table, but you are the ones who will ultimately decide the future. You hold the future of your families, your communities, your people, this region, in your hands. For the efforts here to succeed, we need your support and your patience. Today, as ever, people have to rally to the cause of peace, and peace needs champions on every street corner and around every kitchen table. I understand very well the disappointments of the past. I share them. But I also know we have it within our power today to move forward into a different kind of future, and we cannot do this without you.”

The full text of remarks by Secretary Clinton, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas is available here.

Comments

Comments

J.C. P.
Iowa, USA
September 2, 2010

J.C.P. in Iowa writes:

I would like the opportunity to use my discovery in electromagnetic biophysics to create a shift of power where the to ancient kingdoms are one (The West Bank)

"Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee:" the fountain of youth

This discovery was made through philology (ancient literature) using basic electromagnetic physics.
Soak IMMURSED in grounded water. It can be used as a treatment for acne, athletes foot, and high cholesterol.
My seven year old daughter was the first to call it the Princess Bath.

"Verumtamen Filius hominis veniens, putas, inveniet fidem in terra ?" He 'ouldn't come otherwise.

The Comment
Leviticus 13:42-43 acne, 15: "bathe himself in water"wash all his flesh in water" soak in electromagnetically grounded water, "be unclean until the even" the skin will absorb water and release it later. Soap makes grease water-soluble for your skin to reabsorb, 19:19 "garment mingled of linen and woollen" produce different electromagnetic charges
when rubbed on different objects, Deuteronomy 22:11 "woollen and linen together" produce different electromagnetic charges, II Kings 5:10-12 Jordan originates out of the ground, II Chronicles 26:19-20 "the leprosy even rose up in his forehead" this result was obtained by disrupting the unity of the electromagnetic field, Esther 2:12 these results were obtained, hence name Princess Bath, Psalms 45:7(44:7) "oil of gladness" cholesterol comes out of the blood through the hair in the form of powdered oil, Ezekial 44:17-18 "any thing that causeth sweat" producing a different electromagnetic charge, Mark
9:25 "enter no more into him" don't use soap or shampoo as it will make the cholesterol water-soluble for your skin to reabsorb, Luke 10:18 don't use during electrical storms, I Peter 3:21 "answer of a good concience toward God" removes the so-called negative energy, I John 5:8 "spirit" pneuma, wind, or electromotive force of attraction and repulsion which can be measured through the water with a voltmeter and which testifies in the blood by removing dangerous levels of cholesterol.

September 2, 2010

Well it's been a long time coming, but from what I gathered from the leaders statements today, the proper attitude is present to achieve lasting peace and sucessful agreements on status issues.

Terrorists have declared their irrelevancy to this process, and their opposition to peace.

Yet after the parties have settled their differences and found an equitable arrangement to create the future both want, there lies a common roadblock to achieving it in the form of Hamas.

The parties will have to work together to remove every roadblock, with a little help from their friends present at today's gathering.

What we have here is five human beings who's sanity gives them the courage to defeat insanity, and create a saner world to live in.

I wish them all the best success possible.

As a member of the public, I appreciate their statements to the effect that they all know what we the people have a right to expect.

No matter where we come from.

Joseph M.
Oregon, USA
September 2, 2010

Joseph A. M. in Oregon writes:

Madam Secretary and the U.S. Department of State Negotiation Team:

The success of these talks and with reaching a draft settlement, will have a profound impact for the entire Muslim World and will contribute dramatically to Global peace. The success for these talks, will prove to be the most important U.S. Foreign Policy challenge that we have faced in the past sixty years and the entire "international community" will be watching, if a true settlement may be reached. The engagement in dialogue between the Palestinians and the Israeli's directly, should be the center focus of the U.S. Administration and made a priority in Foreign Policy. There is so much a stake here. One of the many challenges that your "negotiation team" will face, is the mere fact that, President Mahmoud Abbas, does not represent the Hamas Political establishment and the current government in Gaza, I foresee this as being an enormous challenge for reaching an agreement -- I do have some ideas for resolving this shortcoming, let me know if you are open to suggestions, that may lead to be crucial with reaching an acceptable agreement for all parties? Feel free to contact me (via e-mail) if you would like to hear more on some ideas I have for adequately representing the interests of the Hamas government in Gaza. One of the key challenges and disagreements that they'll encounter, has been the same old story for the past sixty years, "territorial disputes" and the up-rooting of people from there original homeland, similar to the ongoing conflict and divide for the Island of Cyprus, between the Greek Cypriots and the Turkish Cypriots.

I wish the U.S. Department of State, the Israeli and Palestinian governments, my best heartfelt wishes for success identifying common interests and for reaching a mutual agreement for a settlement!

Adam
Israel
September 2, 2010

Adam in Israel writes:

I'm really excited to see how these talks play out. And way to go SecClinton on getting these started!

Sarah L.
Israel
September 2, 2010

Sarah L.L. in Israel writes:

BS"D

Rhetoric written and delivered dry and stilted. Transparent. Obviously looking for that November vote.

September 2, 2010

@Joeseph A M,

You know , one of the reasons Dipnote exists is that it's a good place to offer ideas, and since I doubt if folks have the time to solicit advice from you personally, you might as well do what the rest of us do and simply post them.

So here's a creative idea how to test if Iran is willing to promote peace or not, and eliminate the roadblock to peace Hamas represents through its terrorism.

In order to pre-empt a situation in which Abass and his constituents must remove Hamas by force (their being no reconciliation or acceptance of peace by Hamas) I would suggest he ask Iran to resettle them and send one -way plane tickets to aid in their banishment from Gaza, so the people of Gaza may become part of a contigious Palestinian State.

That would seem to be a reasonable request intended to avoid more bloodshed.

So it's also a good way to assess Iran's intent towards the peace process in whether they accept or not.

I once compared the last Admin. with the one Pres. Obama leads today by perhaps a unique standard.

The last Admin. was famous for the statement "You're either with us or against us."

Well the tone today is just a little different in that while there is continuity in policy in large respect, it's more like "You're with us, or get out of the way."

And in this process of finding the "undiscovered country" (peace), I believe the operative attitude expressed here will be the one that assures the parties' success if they hold it, together, as a public, unified stance. And serve Hamas notice of eviction.

Simple logic will tell you that if a political group denies the existance of other's right to live in peace, that they have voided any rights to exist they may have had in the process of becoming terrorists.

And we don't negotiate with terrorists.

The Quartet statement on Hamas is reflective of this policy, and you are going to be waiting by the phone a long time I think before anyone asks your "advice" on "adequately representing the interests of the Hamas government in Gaza." Their "interersts" not being in the interests of peace.

EJ

Brad B.
September 2, 2010

Brad B. writes:

Surrounding this issue I have noted the following from the State Dept:

1) Condemnation of an Israeli Rabbi who cursed the Palestinians. There is some controversy about whether he meant all Palestinians or just those trying to kill Israeli Jews. The comment did not acknowledge this. (Crowley Aug 29.)

2) State Dept. condemnation of the mass of anti-Israel rhetoric coming from the Palestinian leadership has been extremely thin and almost always indirect in the period leading up to these talks. Near daily Palestinian comments calling for the killing of Israelis is ignored as are the many honours that have been given by Abbas to glorify past terrorists.

3) 4 Israeli Jews were killed by terrorists. I have not found a comment by Crowley that did not in some way refer to "both sides."

I'm watching this process with considerable sadness and expect more perfidy from the US.

OysterCracker
September 2, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

if Israeli's cooperated in building a solar farm in a rural community on the West Bank then Palestinians did the same in a rural area of Israel, this might be a good test to see how well and easily each side can cooperate together. Start with a small project and get High Schoolers involved in a cooperative design together. let them be the driving force and influence for change.

OysterCracker
September 2, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

Better....You start with the project below but since High Schoolers like money, you form a solar company that builds solar panels in Gaza, you give small shares to the High schoolers involved in the program and equal shares to Israeli and Palestinians school. As solar panels are built and installed across Israel, Gaza, Syria, Egypt on and on, schools increase their funding and the highschooolers are happy to receive a dividend check every 3 months or so. Keep the banksters and fraudsters away from the project and both countries will have a world class educational and technology oriented industry. I think I'd better handle the pursestrings because I'm good at sniffing out corruption and I'm very tight with the pocketbook. I'll be like No!, No! No! No!, Yes!, No!, No! No! Revize your calculation and get back to me!

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
September 2, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

This is a positive step forward in bring peace too, the Citizens of their countries.

If they can continue to have these kinds of open communications. That show that their working together on improve their Citizens lives and wellbeing.By bring some sense of security to the region i think thats Great.:)

I Wish them good luck on their progress._:)

Joseph M.
Oregon, USA
September 3, 2010

Joseph A.M. in Oregon writes:

@Eric in New Mexico;

You would make an ideal guest speaker on the O'Reilly Factor or on any "Fox-News" programing, your political ideals are in line with the far-right.

I'm glad to see an effort made by the U.S. Department of State, and by the U.S. Administration in resolving a conflict that has been ongoing for the past sixty years, and that is so profoundly inter-connected to establishing global peace. I admire our administration for having the courage in pursuing direct talks, between the Palestinians and Israeli's and for attempting to achieve a "two-State solution" with resolving one of the most difficult of Foreign Policy challenges that we face during this century.

September 3, 2010

Well Joeseph, I suppose it wouldn't be hard to make more common sense than Glenn Beck, who apparently has little if any...but you probably watch more "Faux" news than I since I tend to get mine from the source rather than let a third party interpret it for me.

But in any case, if you don't avoid personal insult as habit when folks disagree with you, there are rules of discussion here on this blog I suggest you review.

I was just trying to save you the grief of waiting for a call that will never come bro...I suppose you can thank me later.

I'm glad this got off to an auspicious start, I salute the effort and wish the parties all the best, but I'm not about to pat anyone on the back and say "good job" until I see results.

I'm sure there's a whole lot of folks that are of like mind.

It's not a "conservative" or "liberal" thing to be sick of being witness to their conflict and terrorism in general.

I think its just human.

Joseph M.
Oregon, USA
September 4, 2010

Joseph A.M. in Oregon writes:

@Eric in New Mexico;

Thank-you for your clarification and with addressing your point of view. I really do not expect an e-mail from the U.S. Department of State, regardless of how innovative or desireable a suggestion may be.

I tend to shy away from U.S. mainstream media, they have a tendency of presenting a narrow-minded, one-sided point of view and are lacking with the "in depth analysis", regardless of Foreign Policy topic -- I much rather watch the News Hour on PBS.

The U.S. Administration and Department of State facilitating the direct talks is long over-due and hopefully some good towards resolving the many differences will come out of this process and effort.

I appriciate your posting and comment today, thanks!

palgye
South Korea
September 4, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

We need some assist?

assist include -
Ability to excel in driving experience and a nationwide support my firm belief that faith includes about I think.
- I think the possibility to misunderstand that. However, I`m not.

"http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2010/09/03/president-obama-august-jobs-nu..."

ARAB M.
Jordan
September 5, 2010

A.M. in Jordan writes:

The existence of the Zionist entity in the heart of the Arab-Muslim is in itself a strange
Because the Zionist entity is not shared with the Arab world, anything that characteristics such as religion, customs
Traditions and language. The existence of Israel within the Arab world is a big mistake, and constant tension
In the Middle East also note since 1948. Such as the entry of foreign objects inside the human body begins
Body fever, tension and fatigue and to ensure even go out foreign objects.
To all Arab and Islamic countries to form the Ministry of Defence and one common to all States and the expulsion of the Jews
From the Middle East. This is the best choice for Arabs and Jews in that one because he Bjrdasiraiil within the Arab world
Will feel the Arab world would not be true of the world would not be true of the Jewish people will never feel the stability and comfort, but if
Came out of Palestine, all Palestine greetings to all

pamela g.
West Virginia, USA
September 5, 2010

Pamela G. in West Virginia writes:

It is truly amazing that these leaders have agreed to bilateral negotiations. We must give our leaders the strength to keep these talks going for the betterment of all mankind.

September 6, 2010

@AM in Jordan,

I took the liberty of editing your post to read more accurately, hope it provides you with some useful perspective.

---

"The existence of (terrorist entities tearing at) the heart of the Arab-Muslim is in itself a strange
Because the (terrorist mindset) is not shared (by most within) the Arab world, anything that characteristics such as religion, customs
Traditions and language. The existence of (terrorism) within the Arab world is a big mistake, and constant tension
Body fever, tension and fatigue and to ensure even go out foreign objects.
To all Arab and Islamic countries to form the Ministry of Defence and one common to all States and the expulsion of (terrorists)
From the Middle East. This is the best choice for Arabs and Jews in that one because he (seeks peace) within the Arab world
Will feel the Arab world would not be true of the world would not be true of the Jewish people will never feel the stability and comfort (of lasting peace),
Came out of Palestine, all Palestine greetings to all (peace be upon you)."

Lassina
Côte d'Ivoire
September 15, 2010

Lassina in Cote D'Ivoire writes:

the succes of the ongoing negociation depends on both parties and if usa accept to support the truth

muslim a.
Jordan
October 1, 2010

M.A. in Jordan writes:

The reasons for Arab-Israeli conflict is the occupation of Palestine in 1948. Palestine Arab Islamic state like the rest of the Arab and Islamic states surrounding Them. Means that there are Jews and Zionists in Palestine a big mistake, because this entity Zionist is not consistent with the surrounding area (such as language, customs, traditions and religion) The only solution to end the Arab-Israeli conflict is the expulsion of Jews from Palestine All of Palestine. The Jewish people will not rest and will not feel comfortable and stability But if it gets out of Palestine and the Middle East completely. If people continue to Jews in Palestine and the Middle East, the death and destruction will continue. Palestine Arab Islamic state and will remain

arab
Jordan
November 2, 2010

A. in Jordan writes:

There is no democracy in Israel as a state is illegitimate and illegal and not recognized Evidence of this if anyone wanted to write a comment in the Israeli websites Does not allow him or be there are many obstacles to prevent him from writing a comment The reasons for Arab-Israeli conflict is the occupation of Palestine in 1948. Palestine Arab Islamic state like the rest of the Arab and Islamic states surrounding Them. Means that there are Jews and Zionists in Palestine a big mistake, because this entity

arab
Jordan
November 4, 2010

A. in Jordan writes:

There is no state called Israel. State of thieves called Israel a basis of the displacement and killing of Innocent nation of thieves basis bloodshed and war And the arrest of people for tens of years to
prevent him from claiming The right to life . basis steal the land of the Palestinian people And then steal the land of the Arab-Muslim the entire .State of the thieves do not know the law ..... Does not recognize the law of the United Nations, state that considers itself above the law . the law is the siege of Gaza And the bloodshed and destruction of houses and killing innocent people and occupying the country This is a country named Israel thieves