Secretary Clinton Delivers Remarks on the Global Health Initiative

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
August 16, 2010

Update: Read the transcript of the Secretary's remarks here.

Secretary Clinton delivered remarks on Monday, August 16, at 11:30 a.m. on the Obama Administration's Global Health Initiative. The speech took place at Johns Hopkins University's Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS).

The speech focused on the Global Health Initiative, a centerpiece of the Obama Administration's foreign policy and an expression of U.S. values and leadership in the world. Secretary Clinton described the Global Health Initiative's core principles, and called on governments, organizations, and individuals to join the United States in pursuing a sustainable approach for delivering essential health services to more people in more places.

The SAIS website, accesible here, streamed a live webcast of her remarks.

Comments

Comments

August 16, 2010

Dipnote Bloggers,

Well I've looked for it, and the SAIS site has no mention of a live stream broacast, this event is "closed" to the public , open to press and invited guests only as the event calander indicates.

It's 9:19 here, (2 hour time difference makes it just before show time on east coast now)

C-span has got this covered though.

(insert http here)c-span.org/

R. B.
August 16, 2010

DipNote Bloggers reply:

Hi Eric - Just checked it again, and it seems to appear for us; not sure why it isn't working for you. Right now, they have the information on their main page in rotation with other stories. Perhaps when you opened the page, one of the other stories was featured? If so, just click on the "1" button below the main window to rotate it back to the Secretary's remarks.

Are any other readers experiencing difficulty with the site?

August 16, 2010

Got it on c-span, thanks folks. Great speech w/ a Wow! attached to that in the Q&A .

Outstanding in her field of dreams, one "activist" Sec of State asks,

(metaphoricly addressing all the roadblocks to human progress, not quoting her directly-)

"If America does the three D's, how does the world realize its true self when coming to the ball park with "skin in the game"?

Well, we dropped nation's debt so they could put skin in the game, and that's about the only thing the Sec of State didn't mention in a very comprehensive outlined "state of world health", and a vision for that involves ( by logical deduction of a whole of gov. approach) , a lot less people shooting each other in the long term when terrorists are no longer able to destabilize regions and make health care unsafe to get to, provide, or is as a result of their activities just flat inaccessable to populations.

As this concerns foreign affairs and global health, changes in mindset, policy, and the intent of nation's priorities to the health care of populations; I gotta thank Sec. Clinton for posing the big "what if?" in the way she has.

I wasn't speaking of the global health iniatives in place today, they didn't exist as they do when I wrote this, but there's a common thread addressed here I believe, as it concerns change.

"IsotopeRoad"
In my granddad's day, some of his fellow scientists at Los Alamos had a "pool" going before the Trinity test as to how large the resulting explosion (in kilotons of TNT) would be. Anyone care to guess how many "Los Alamos's" there are today on the planet? How much Gross National Product is invested? To create weapons that cannot be used, and remain civilized. Some 300 billion a year for the last 50 yrs. on defense in this country alone, this is not for me to judge, as I haven't all the facts. I think it unfortunate, however, that it was deemed necessary, and I stress here the biggest "what if?" is what we might have accomplished as the Human species had we chosen to live in peace, instead of fear after WW2. We have lived so long with the reality of imminent destruction that we've become numb to it in ways that are as dysfunctional as the "Simpsons".
One cannot simultaneously plan for the American dream, and prepare for Armageddon.
Anyone who has witnessed the birth of one's child can tell you that yes indeed you create your own reality, the question is what do we wish to create for ourselves as reality on this planet, now and for our children's, and their children's future? Not just in this country, but the world as a whole, as an international vision.
Inherently, change is viewed with suspicion, as a threat to culture and ways of tradition and ethical belief systems. As it applies to developing countries in this nuclear age, the post-cold war aftermath presents a vast paradox that present no easy solutions, and has culminated in the reality of the war on terrorism as it exists today."
EJ 1/8/02

--end excerpt--

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
August 16, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Hello, Secretary Hillary C. & DipNote..)

I found your Remarks on (Global Health Initiatives),very informative.
My thoughts on this subject are we need to do more like you said. I also think, we have come along way in a very short time.
I think,alot of countries have really been trying to improve their efforts in the health care field. Which has had a positive effect on global health. I sure in coming years, our countries will find new way of addressing the Global Health problems.
But for now, i think , your right, we need more cooperation,and we can't do it all our selves.

Anyways, I liked your Remarks, and your positive outlook on our futures.

Keep trying, we'll get there some day..:.)

Cya..Hillary & DipNote Netizens___:)

Merid E.
United Kingdom
August 16, 2010

Merid E. in the United Kingdom writes:

I very much appreciate Secretary Clinton's speech today on Global Health Initiative. Nevertheless, the things which interest me most are those deeds directly linked to the poor people of our world. Actions speak more than words. Just as a reminder, I would like to mention the already known facts. Access to basic health care has long been viewed as fundamental human right. The number of men, women and children who suffer and who die from preventable disease in Africa, my mother continent, is simply unacceptable. One in six children die before their fifth birthday. This compares one in 150 in high-income countries. Will her sppech genuinely address these and other similar situations?

OysterCracker
August 16, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

I second that motion. The speech was great. Madame Secretary might be our next president in a couple of years. You go girl!

Katalin
Hungary
August 24, 2010

Katalin in Hungary writes:

Yeah, this is what I see too that specialization can be an impediment to working together. As Hillary said everything is connected in some way. I agree that every field has its own science but by too much specialization you can miss the big picture and can't solve the problem itself.
To make improvements in developing countries there's need to be democratic thinking people there.