U.S. Citizens: Interested in Working for the United Nations?

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
July 14, 2010
UN Headquarters in Austria

As the largest financial contributor to the United Nations, the United States has a vested interest in ensuring that qualified Americans are well-represented within the ranks of the UN and its varied agencies and organizations. One important way in which young professionals join the UN is through the National Competitive Recruitment Examinations, an annual process through which the UN seeks to hire citizens from Member States that are underrepresented at the UN. In that context, the Department of State encourages interested Americans to explore UN employment and a career in multilateral affairs by learning more about the examination here.

Comments

Comments

July 15, 2010

I could probably make just as much difference making too much sense to ignore on this blog, but thanks for asking.

Too old and slow anyway....

regcure
July 15, 2010

Regcure in California writes:

Is there any word on how much the pay is?

Flavius
July 15, 2010

Flavius in Virginia writes:

Well, I have a degree in radio, except I don't speak Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese?) or French. I am also 47 years old, which makes me useless, I guess. I suppose the U.N. would like to hire inexperienced spring chickens that they don't have to pay squat.

I have the feeling that most people with multiple language skills and college degrees in the subjects requested (human rights? you can get a degree in human rights? how about history, for heaven's sake!) could make much better money in the private sector. Or, they could work for the Department of State.

The age requirement is really stupid. Really, really stupid.

July 15, 2010

Well, don't get discoraged Flavius. Between the two of us , our working experiece could form the backbone of the "citizen's advisory working group" programming "Radio Dipnote" and turn talk-radio on its ear.

(chuckle)

donald m.
July 15, 2010

Donald M. in Virginia writes:

In the land of lost, I guess were all like Dinosours to the entry of the age to apply. Then again, maybe its a blessing, obviously we were all meant to do other things. Experience in age and training, will still be more useful then young whippersnappers!!! (Chuckle chuckle)

July 15, 2010

Leaping Lizards Donald! This ain't no "namby pamby" blog...if the UN wants folks still of the age to be cluthing rubber duckies, I guess we'll just have form a cooperative, and show them how to float them.

(grin)

Boot camp diplomacy 101 starts with how to deal with an unruly public....LOL!

Age is a mind over matter, if you don't mind...when did it ever matter? GEEZE- OOOOPS!

All right...now that they've hurt all out old-foggy bottomed-out feelings and all, and we're puddled in communal misery of being teased by opportunity; I've decided to bring some big guns to bear on the issue of whether it takes a degree in Attitude and a PHD from Hardknocks Community College or not all by itself to whip these bright young things into shape before they get their baptism of fire out there in the trenches of the general assembly hall.

Let alone the real world outside council chambers and acadamia.

But I'm having a bit of a hard time choosing among all the potential course instructors...

We're just the one's helping out with the live fire excercise...(chuckle).

www.americanambassadors.org/images/nav_members.gif

RSVP requested.

OysterCracker
July 15, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

Flavius,
Je parle francais bien cher, Flavius.
You speak in riddles like the government. You, would be perfect for the U.N.

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
July 15, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Well, i think we should start giving people jobs ,that aren't morons. I have to say, more educated people act like idiots, which is funny ,they're smart,but have no morals. More educated people are not smarter than everyone else, they may know more about one subject but thats it. Their idiots like everyone else hehe..:)

Stop hiring Idiots and maybe you'll find a smart person. Life is a journey that most people have no education in..:)

Think about it.:) Cya:)

palgye
South Korea
July 16, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to,

Not U.S. citizens, but always delivered to the UN at the UN or to work are always thinking. The other two places of interest, but you can still support the U.S. siminman ability to think, unfortunately, always had really bad luck.

and,

out of schedule
We expect something to plan and move, especially in the area posco and South Korea's prosecutors and local officials, depending on the instructions of a person invisible, and I want an excuse to interfere. It's really hard to ... Mind and body,,,

I do not find a solution to, the possibility to use special methods ls? The visibility of their actions are higher with the people around me would be to deny the connection itself, and I want an excuse.

sorry.

July 16, 2010

Oops, my bad...link.

americanambassadors.org

Sorry 'bout that.

State has built a blog with our help, now let's see if we can turn this into a level playing field of robust discussion.

"too old and slow"...oh my..my, I'm on my third wind is all.

July 16, 2010

@Patrick W.,

I am trully shocked sir, in all my years on this blog reading your posts, this may be the first time I've seen you get anything like upset over any policy.

Personally, this being the case I figure folks should take that into account and listen well to you.

We'll see how smart they are...Thanks for the moral support bro-

Best,

EJ

OysterCracker
July 16, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

I sort of agree with Patrick.
By not opening up the hiring process, government agencies lack innovation and innovation is the only thing that can save societies. The current militaristic bureaucracy is too vertical(bottom up or top down). Maybe a more lateral, horizontal structure would work better. The government is so worried about getting like minded employees but unfortunately that stultifies positive innovation and intelligence. TSA is a good example of an agency that is too slow to innovate like moving molasses. The future winners will be quick on their feet, innovators who can respond at a moment's notice.

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
July 16, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Hi, Eric & O.C :)

Sorry, about saying idiot so much ,i was having a bad day,and was think about other things. I do support a more open hiring system.
That wouldn't look at a persons age and education first ,but would concider what
kind of person their hiring.And how they
act or would interact with other people in
their fields..:)

Anyways, thanks for the support..:)

July 17, 2010

@Patrick,

It's ok dude, there's a time and place for everything, and Forest Gump was right.

What about "be your do." don't people understand? Works in a lot of ways, for a lot of reasons.

Ever wonder why there's an "Us and Them"?

This is that "baptizm of fire" my Drill Seargent personification implied some may have a failure of understanding about.

"Us and Them" is properly defined as an age old struggle between the sane and the insane that has been going on since mankind became sentient.

A failure to have a willingness to discuss this, is a failure of imagination in taking the correct path to the solution.

( Donald speaks of dinosaurs, and that certain spark of empathy within me made it impossible for my sense of humor to not oblige him and the rest of us mid-life gate crashers to the party we'll give them if they come.)

A proper redirection of anger my friend is to be respected.

Folks think perhaps I be joking...

About the need to redefine this?

We'll see if big guns come to dicuss this.

They got their RSVP.

moazzam c.
Pakistan
July 28, 2010

Moazzam A.Z.C. in Pakistan writes:

i want to work with sprit

MaryThomas
Illinois, USA
July 28, 2010

Mary T. in Illinois writes:

I am a former Fulbright Scholar and I am interested in exploring UN employment and a career in multilateral affairs.

John T.
July 30, 2010

John M. T. in California writes:

As an American would like to work for the UN
in the city of New York.
I would like to know what are the opportunities for me.
My education is in Business-Finance and
International Relations. Thank you

Ogoubi M.
Togo
July 31, 2010

Dr. Ogoubi W. in Togo writes:

Please, tell me what to do?

I've a patent for my treatment of HIV/AIDS and with WHO(UN) by you, the STATE DEPARTMENT,I can give my best for US and for the world.After medical trials, the mankind'll declare with you:''we've overcame HIV/AIDS''. Sure.

And now, I can't do anything without you and WHO. Please, let's go on.

Temeria H.
Michigan, USA
August 1, 2010

Temeria H. in Michigan writes:

Dear United Nations:

I am seeking recruitment for the United Nations and I am ready to work where ever I am needed. I posess a master of science in international administration and have the time to travel as needed. Please contact me for resume and other vital information in order to move forward. Thank you so much in advance.

Lindsay P.
Washington, USA
August 2, 2010

Lindsay P. in Washington writes:

I am a recent graduate from the University of Washington and have a background in geography, international relations, and development. I am particularly interested in the Balkans and East Europe. I am open to relocate anywhere and hope to hear of any upcoming positions that I can submit a formal resume and CV.

selamawit
Sudan
August 4, 2010

Selamawit in Sudan writes:

Sorry , I would like to ask you one question please... I need to be an employee in United nation ? but how can I be ? I know that the I should be well educated . but me I have small knowledge and have plan to built up my knowledge a side , If you employee me ,am very interested ,who knows ,one day I can be help full person ,....... please contact me ?

Tamita V.
August 4, 2010

Tamita V. in New York writes:

I am a U.S citizen and I am very interested in working with the United Nations. I have a mastre's degree in international law and I had volunteered with the U.N Mission in D.R.Congo for three years.

Layla
August 9, 2010

Layla writes:

Dear Sir/Madam:

I would like to work with UN. I have an excellent experience in administration, human resources and training Department for more than 20 years. I wish that I can find job with one of the UN offices in the Middle East.

Zemzem M.
August 13, 2010

Zemzem B.M. in Washington DC writes:

I am interested in working with UN International or local, I am US citizen have banking experience.Thanks

Abdul B.
Nebraska, USA
August 14, 2010

Abdul A.B. in Nebraska writes:

Interested in knowing how to apply for a UN job. Thanks.

Sam
Oregon, USA
August 18, 2010

Sam in Oregon writes:

I am very interested in working for the United Nations especially in Africa. I am very knowlegeable with African cultures and could be an asset. I have experience and training in Information Technology field

JEAN L.
Haiti
August 19, 2010

Jean D.L. in Haiti writes:

I would like to work with UN. I have an excellent experience in administration, human resources fiscal and auditing Department for more than 5 years.I will be graduated next year with a master in public administration. I wish that I can find job with one of the UN offices in Haiti.

Pedro H.
Maryland, USA
August 19, 2010

Pedro H. in Maryland writes:

Working for the United Nations is my dream. Bi-lingual (Spanish-English) health professional: BS, Gerontology and Forensics science from University of Maryland University College. Medical Doctor in my country El Salvador: Emergency, ambulatory medicine and providing services to the elderly background experience. U.S. Citizen. Clear understanding of human needs and suffering.

R. B.
August 19, 2010

DipNote Bloggers reply:

It's wonderful to see so much interest in this posting. But as people continue to post their qualifications in the comment section, I just want to remind everyone that this blog is not connected to the United Nations. The people making their hiring decisions will likely not see your comment -- if you're interested in applying for a job at the UN, please visit the link posted in the article or visit the UN website.

maricruz E.
Guatemala
August 21, 2010

Maricruz in Guatemala writes:

I would like to work for the UN I am located in Guatemala but I am a U.S Citizen. Bi-lingual (spanish- english i have excellent esperience in customer service. Would like to work in any position can learn nything