Secretary Clinton Marks Six Month Commemoration of Haiti Earthquake

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
July 12, 2010
Girl in Port-au-Prince, Haiti

More information:2010 Earthquake in Haiti

Today, Secretary Clinton marked the six month commemoration of the Haiti earthquake that took place in Port-au-Prince on January 12, 2010.

Secretary Clinton said, "It has been six months since a 7.0 magnitude earthquake devastated Haiti and claimed the lives of 230,000 people. Hundreds of thousands more were injured and left homeless. In Haiti's hour of greatest need the international community responded. The United States and more than 140 nations provided humanitarian support, mounting one of the largest rescue and relief efforts in history. On this six month commemoration, we pause to remember all those who lost their lives or loved ones in this tragedy.

"Members of the State Department and USAID family were among the dead, and today we honor their service and sacrifice. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families, friends and colleagues. I also salute everyone -- diplomats, development workers and private citizens -- who continue to serve in Haiti, helping the country build back better.

"Over the last six months, the Haitian people have again shown their resilience and strength. Their efforts continue to inspire us all. Together we have worked to help children return to school, to ensure that the 1.5 million people who were left homeless have emergency shelter materials while we stand-up transitional and permanent houses, and to make certain that those in need of medical care receive it.

"The United States is committed to aligning our investments with the needs of the people and Government of Haiti. We have joined international partners, private sector actors, and NGOs in working together through the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission to help empower the Haitian people and support their efforts.

"Six months later, our resolve to stand with the people of Haiti for the long term remains undiminished. We are committed to helping them realize the Haitian vision for a better nation."

You may also read the Secretary's statement here.

Comments

Comments

Don
July 12, 2010

Don in New York writes:

A feeble attempt to feeble and deplorable job the U.S. has done in Haiti. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Embarrassed, disgraceful micro-managing, political agendas, turf battles... and so where is your Chief of Staff? Isn't she leading the Haiti recovery efforts??

Sal G.
July 12, 2010

Sal G. writes:

Thank you for reminding us of this tragedy and the work that still remains. I am making another donation to relief in Haiti.

July 12, 2010

@Don in New York,

If you really want to know what folks have done and are doing today, check this out;

You can watch the briefing video if you prefer that over reading the transcript;

@Dipnote Bloggers,

When this disaster first was discussed on the blog, i offered two suggestions that would potentially resolve the temp. housing problem.

The first was to convert Conex shipping containers to house people.

The second was to donate Gitmo to the Haitian gov. since we intend to shut that down anyway.

Reason being that in extremis, you need somewhere to move all those folks living in tents out of the path of a hurricane and it's the closest bit of land we could use to do that and let it serve as a lifeboat.

Now combine the two and you have a working plan, and if you have enough folks with shelter they can rely on for a time till rubble is cleared and permanent housing is built in Haiti, they will create an economy out of scratch at the same time wherever they are if provided the means to support its growth. Turn Gitmo into a tourist trap at the same time...(think I'm kidding? Think again.)

Since land use is an is an issue of potential violence if not addressed, this would be the quickest way to resolve it via a 99 year lease at $1.00 per year. That makes it a legal transaction the Haitian government can build opon.

My question to Mr. Shaw and all involved is just what would they expect world public opinion to be if we did so? And no I'm not asking a question I don't know the answer to, because it's positive impact on world opinion of the US would be a "given".
But I'd like to hear what Mr. Shaw thinks about this.

My feeling is this, Don has a real good point although I don't think now is the time to judge our efforts, but if a million and a half folks continue to live in these conditions at the whim of mother nature, and all those folks die because of it, Don's opinion of the administration will be universally accepted to the point folks declare the President's administration to be an "Obamanation".

And there will be a return on not doing enough in the next election. Never mind how our domestic issues may be resolved in the meantime.

I would think if the President wants to guarrantee himself a second term, a creative approach like mine would pretty well do the trick.

If he likes this idea, I'll take my unemployment and buy him a brand new pair of cowboy boots to scuff up on Congress' backside to help him obtain the funding to move those remaining priosoners to a Super Max facility here on the mainland as proposed.

He's got my word on that, in writing.

Now if he really thinks there's a little talent involved in coming up with this, he might just consider this a small example of why he should probably lower the unemployment rate in my state by one, and put my brain to work for him on a full time basis before some idiot in Congress decides it's OK to put me out of house and home by not extending benefits.

30 years in construction, I think I have a fair bit of nation-building experience under my belt to offer.

Whether folks wish to tap into that is totally up to you.

Best,

EJ

OysterCracker
July 12, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

I'd really like to know where the Clinton-Bush funds have been spent. What projects have been implemented? How are they supporting trade and industry in Haiti? One way to help Haiti's children is to marry an industry to a school, educational system. I hope Mr. Clinton will work on this problem. I'm a child development expert if he needs help.

Pamela G.
West Virginia, USA
July 12, 2010

Pamela G. in West Virginia writes:

This was a humanitarian crisis that put all to the test. Recovery is still far from over. We must keep the plight of the haitans in the international limelight so the US does not shoulder this burden alone.