Assistant Secretary Campbell Discusses His Recent Trip to Seoul and Tokyo

Posted by Kelly McKellogg
June 23, 2010

About the Author: Kelly McKellogg serves as a Press Officer in the Bureau of East Asian and Pacific Affairs.

Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian And Pacific Affairs Kurt M. Campbell traveled to the East Asia region, June 15-18, to consult with U.S. allies on a broad range of bilateral, regional, and global issues. Assistant Secretary Campbell had positive discussions with senior officials in both Seoul, June 16-17, and Tokyo, June 17-18.

In his discussions on the sinking of the Cheonan with ROK officials, he reaffirmed the U.S. commitment to working closely with the Republic of Korea and other allies and partners to reduce the threat that North Korea poses to regional stability. Assistant Secretary Campbell and his ROK interlocutors agreed that North Korea should change its unacceptable behavior, by ceasing belligerent actions toward its neighbors, abiding by UNSC Resolutions 1718 and 1874, and taking irreversible steps toward elimination of its nuclear weapons programs. In his discussions, Assistant Secretary Campbell and his counterparts also reaffirmed that the United States supports the Republic of Korea's call for UN Security Council action.

In Tokyo, Assistant Secretary Campbell consulted with Japanese officials, including from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and senior officials from the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ). They reaffirmed that the U.S.-Japan alliance is strong and remains a cornerstone of peace and security in East Asia. Assistant Secretary Campbell and his Japanese interlocutors agreed that the United States will continue to work closely and cooperatively with the GOJ across the broad range of issues facing our two nations.

Related Content: Remarks Before Meeting With Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan and Remarks at U.S. Embassy Media Roundtable

Comments

Comments

palgye
South Korea
June 24, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Sorry, Very Sorry.

www.hanms.net/

This is a personal favor. Kind of things happen in Korea, I think politics have a strong inclination to retaliate. However, the Republic of Korea to protect that anyone who has the full capacity to think. And, if this level of corruption in the Republic of Korea is a clean politician. In a 100å„„ is taking, other people . To corruption, to try to find somewhere else to have such a promotion. South Korea tried to get the bad smell of politics, which is why I think this lady is a little different. Very little,

www.hanms.net/

Sorry.

I live in South Korea, trying to be, watching this, it's sick.

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
June 24, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Hello, Press Officer Kelly Mckellogg

Kurt Campbell's visit too,Tokyo,Japan and Seoul,South Korea was a very good idea. I think our government's should keep in close contact with eachother, especially with the situation with North Korea.

Hopefully the U.N and neighboring countries can make positive progress, concerning the issues with N.Korea ..:)

Best Regards and Positive Thoughts..Cya..:)

Pamela G.
West Virginia, USA
June 24, 2010

Pamela G. in West Virginia writes:

It is wonderful that the US is showing South Korea that we are behind them and will not put up with the continued inhospility and violent actions from the north.

Ethical I.
North Korea
June 24, 2010

Ethical I. in "North Korea" writes:

I have heard much about this blog from my secret police. They tell me someone has been using my favorite name. It is the name I only use at parties and when I play “Chutes and Ladders.” It is Ethical Infant.

They tell me that only one man on this blog uses this name. He calls me “an ethical infant” but he must be disabused of this notion! I am THE Ethical Infant! All others are dull, colorless copies of me. He also calls me “Lil Kim,” like I am some American hillbilly comic strip character. Let me tell you! I have NEVER been to Sadie Hawkins! Though I did try to kidnap her for my world class film industry! I am fond of halter tops!

You are so worried about my bomb. That is nothing to be afraid of. It has a happy face painted on it. It sits atop my new missile, the “Hollywood Express.” My scientists tell me it won’t even make it across the parking lot, but little do they know. Especially now! They have all been stripped of their degrees and are made to serve ice cream to Chinese tourists!

You say I am a tyrant! A dictator! What do you know? When was the last time you shook hands with a tyrant or a dictator? I have, many times. “How do you do, Ethical Infant?” “Oh, life is grand, Supreme Leader!” I am the only one in this room worth shaking hands with! Sometimes the guards stare at me. That does not last very long. They all know the meaning of “KP Duty” in the People’s Republic of Korea!

What your really need to be worried about is my plan to kidnap Quentin Tarentino and make the GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE! Better than “Godzilla!” Better than “Titanic!” Better than “Inchon” starring Lawrence Olivier, bankrolled by Sun Myung Moon! Tarentino will direct MY LIFE STORY!

I am also going to kidnap Gary Cooper! He will play me! Though my people say he’s been hard to locate lately. If they can’t find him, then Tom Cruise! We are of similar height, after all!

There will be many MANY blondes in this film. Why? Because it is about ME! Ethical Infant! There will also be great special effects, including trains wrecking, bridges collapsing and a DEATH STAR. Only that won’t be a special effect; it will be REAL! It won’t look finished, but it will be FULLY OPERATIONAL. Soon you will arrive in an asteroid belt that wasn’t there before! There will be a small moon! Only it wont BE a small moon! Ha ha ha!

Yours,

Ethical Infant

June 25, 2010

To the despicable Ethical I. (AKA 'Lil Kim),

Thank you for confirming my suspicions that anyone who calls himself "divine" and/or "Dear Leader" surely has a sense of humor.

Now get with the program before your nuclear blow-dried hairdoo comes completely unglued from your scalp.

It's askew...

Like the rest of you.

Read this and take note, before it's too late. Instant karma is your train-wreck in the making.

Eric from Sante Fe, New Mexico writes:
Dear Under Secretary Joseph,

General Omar Bradley once said, "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants, we know more about war than we do about peace, more about killing than about living."

Mine is a philosophical question:

At what point does the international community determine that the ethical infant's diapers need changing, as the smell of ill intent has become all too overwhelming and noxious to Humanity? Or will ethical infants like the leaders of Iran and North Korea be allowed to remain in power to "dump" on civilization at a time of their choosing?

I've noted that the diplomatic attempts at "behavior change" have only resulted in temper-tantrums, at the expense of global peace and security. But as my granddad worked with Oppenhiemer on the Manhattan project, and these issues are thus quite personal to me, I'd like to personally thank everyone involved globally seeking solutions to these problems, as well as the building of consensus among nations to address these issues in concrete terms.

Under Secretary Joseph:

"As in Omar Bradley’s time, the United States continues to offer the world ethical leadership, dedicated to partnerships that lead to lasting international peace and security, as well as to the development of democratic governments and the rule of law. The Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism will build on Secretary Rice’s vision of transformational diplomacy by building consensus among partner nations regarding our most serious international security threat, and galvanize them to take concrete and sustained steps to defeat it."

-July, 2006

---

To the ethical adults out there -

It is a far braver person that lays down his arms to walk the road to peace than the one who clings to his weapons in pride and desperation at the expense of his own and other's security.

I hope the ethical infants of the world come to understand this fact.

palgye
South Korea
June 29, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to..

Everyone knows about Japan, I think. On July 11 elections in Japan, but Japan's ruling party secured a majority that would be difficult to tell anyone. I just remembered that story. Stripping seems to be almost an accomplished fact.

The idea to do something, but a rush to make a living.

maybe, 小沢 一郎?
They concede that shares should I do? I know they've settled out of infighting ....

Thank You.

P.S
Make it feel like the election and think that it is almost suicidal.