Going Mobile: Stay in Touch With the U.S. Department of State

Posted by Janice Clark
June 10, 2010
Mobile State Image

About the Author: Janice Clark serves as the Director of Electronic Information in the Bureau of Public Affairs.

Where do you like to get your news? On the subway? In line at the bank? While waiting for your double-shot skinny no foam latte?

If you're like many of us, handheld devices are becoming essential tools for keeping up with the latest information, whether while we're commuting, shuttling between the main building and one of the Department's annexes, or inbetween meetings. So we here in the www.state.gov office set out to identify which content would be most appropriate for these devices, and then worked behind the scenes to automate those categories of information so they could be quickly and easily seen on small screens.

As a result, you can now get the latest foreign policy information from the State Department by pointing the browser on your BlackBerry, iPhone, or other hand-held device to m.state.gov.

Here's what you'll find there:
Top Stories from state.gov's home page, as well as other recent stories;
Secretary Clinton's remarks, travel and daily appointments schedule;
Country Info (A-Z access to Background Notes);
Daily Press Briefings; and
More News (Fact sheets and other press releases)

m.state.gov also links to the mobile site for the DipNote blog, and to www.state.gov, for those devices that are able to render the full site. Future enhancements will include photos, video, and PDFs, allowing you to access even more state.gov content on-the-go.

The Department is also working on developing specific APPs, with possible uses to include tools for overseas travelers such as travel warnings, passport info, per diems, and tourist information. We'd love to hear your ideas.

Comments

Comments

Susan
Maryland, USA
June 10, 2010

Susan in Maryland writes:

love getting the briefings this way!

Benjamin
Japan
June 11, 2010

Benjamin in Japan writes:

This gives me the final push, to buy one of these hand-held gadgets! What a wonderful way to keep up with diplomatic affairs on the go. Time on the train will now be much more entertaining and informative!

Ogoubi w.
Togo
July 26, 2010

Dr. Ogoubi K.W. in Togo writes:

I just say''very very good!!''

Ogoubi M.
Togo
August 2, 2010

Dr. Ogoubi K.W. in Togo writes:

It's wonderfull. I've tryied it on ASB.TV.

Ogoubi M.
Togo
August 16, 2010

Dr. Ogoubi K.W. in Togo writes:

Truly wonderfull!!!
It's working very very well on my N73.
Very very good!!

juodel j.
August 19, 2010

Juodel J. in New York writes:

Need to now if I can apply for a passport replacement online.I also needed to now if I'm eligible to use form DS-82.

R. B.
August 19, 2010

DipNote Bloggers reply:

@Juodel J. in New York: Please visit http://travel.state.gov for full information about applying for a passport, including the forms you can use.

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
August 19, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Is it legal to photo_shop your picture, for your passport.So you don't have a passport photo that looks like your Driver's License.:)

My driver's license photo, always looks like i was just in a car accident, or just woke up on the the wrong side of the bed. LOL

I would like, one photo Id that i wouldn't mind showing people.:)

Kind of funny but true.

R. B.
August 19, 2010

DipNote Bloggers reply:

@Patrick W. in Maryland - I completely understand the impulse, believe me! However, I checked in with the Passport Office, and here's what they said:

"Passport photos are not to be PhotoShopped for any reason. If a photo has been adjusted in any way, it will be rejected. We will then request new photos be sent, all of which causes delays in the issuance process for the customer."

So...the best advice we can offer is get plenty of sleep and ask for good lighting.

Thanks for the question!

Patrick W.
Maryland, USA
August 19, 2010

Patrick W. in Maryland writes:

Thanks for the advice, about the passport photo. I sort of guest that you couldn't fix the photos ,for the passports, but it would be nice if you could..:)

I understand, why after think about it. How it could be used in the wrong way.

Well, maybe i'll get lucky and have a good photo taken , it could happen...LOL.. :)

daniel
Ghana
August 19, 2010

Daniel in Ghana writes:

hi

Ogoubi M.
Togo
August 21, 2010

Dr. Ogoubi K.W. in Togo writes:

This administration's full of initiatives,and the best. If Icould become GOD sincerely I'll let in a simple wind theirs dreams come true and all serious diplomatic problems will be first easy to solve. God bless Obama's Administration

datreanna q.
Louisiana, USA
September 1, 2010

Datreanna Q. in Louisiana writes:

heyy wats up

Deepal W.
Sri Lanka
September 12, 2010

Deepal W. in Sri Lanka writes:

Would like to receive comments

Moyeme D.
Texas, USA
September 20, 2010

Moyeme D. in Texas writes:

We're in the millenium and thus this government is ceasing on it to the fullest. I'll be working as Stay-In-School program with State Department. See you all there in the near future.

Pedro
September 26, 2010

Pedro in Florida writes:

Moyeme -- For the benefit of your students I hope that you stay in school too. "ceasing" is not the same as "seizing".

AHEGBEBU E.
Ghana
October 20, 2010

Ahegbebu E. in Ghana writes:

i want to be part of the department but do not know how to join. please help me. thanks

R. B.
October 20, 2010

DipNote Bloggers reply:

@Ahegbebu E:

Please check out http://careers.state.gov and http://www.usajobs.gov.

Yeboaa C.
Ghana
October 20, 2010

Yeboaa C. in Ghana writes:

Pls hlp me to join the department.

DipNote Bloggers reply: Please see http://careers.state.gov and http://www.usajobs.gov.

mwm
Oregon, USA
October 22, 2010

MWM in Oregon writes:

wow a lot of typos here...

DipNote Bloggers reply: This entry? Other entries? Where? Please point them out, and we'll fix 'em!

Muzaffar