Secretary Clinton, Foreign Minister Lavrov Sign Plutonium Disposition Protocol

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
April 13, 2010

More on theNuclear Security Summit

Today, Secretary Clinton and Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov signed the 2000 Plutonium Management and Disposition Agreement. This signing of this protocol marks another major step in U.S. and Russian efforts to eliminate nuclear-weapon-grade materials. Secretary Clinton said:

"I am very pleased that Foreign Minister Lavrov and I are able to do this together. We have had many meetings over the past 15 months and I always look forward to a productive discussion, a candid exchange of views, and a determination to make progress together.

"This is an historic time for U.S.-Russian relations. Last week, our presidents signed the new START treaty, which will make our two countries and the world safer and more secure by reducing the number of strategic nuclear weapons in our stockpiles. And this week, we've gathered with representatives from more than 45 nations to address the urgent global threat posed by vulnerable nuclear material. And now, we are taking another step to increase our mutual security and deepen our bilateral cooperation. Under the agreement we are about to sign, the United States and Russia will each irreversibly and transparently dispose of no less than 34 metric tons of weapons-grade plutonium. Together, that is enough material for nearly 17,000 nuclear weapons. And we will put in place the framework and infrastructure needed to dispose of even more plutonium from defense programs in the future.

"The agreement provides for monitoring and inspections that will ensure that this material will never again be used for weapons or any other military purpose. By using civil nuclear reactors to dispose of the plutonium, we gain an added benefit -- to produce electricity for our people, even as we remove a potential serious danger. And I want to thank the two teams from both Russia and the United States who worked together to hammer out this agreement. I see familiar faces, both from my country and now, after so many meetings, familiar faces from Russia. And Minister Lavrov and I could not be standing here without the extraordinary expertise and commitment that these teams brought to this occasion. Thank you very much."

Read the Secretary's full remarks with Foreign Minister Lavrov here.

Related Entry:New START Treaty and Protocol

Comments

Comments

Donald M.
April 14, 2010

Donald M. in Virginia writes:

I believe the State Department is missing out on some potential media coverage and making money. What a concept it would be if the STATE DEPARTMENT had its own Monthly Magazine for the world to read, and includes the State Department Blog, also to have an ONLINE STORE to Sell Coffee cups, t-shirts, sports bags, towels, ball caps all with the State Department LOGO and the profits can go towards help Earthquake victims in the future. The Embassies around the world could sell a line of product that people would enjoy wearing and showing off. This might give our State Department a nice boost when it comes to foreigners obtaining passports and coming to the United States for a visit. Even the US Post office sells items, why not the State Department and include Coin Collections, Maps of countries, and other cool stuff...

Put me down for a State Department Coffee MUG that says, "BLOGGER" with my name on it.

palgye
South Korea
April 15, 2010

Palgye in South Korea writes:

Dear to..

There is misunderstand of domestic intervention, but "nucr(l)anet"? If founds the system which provides information about Plutonium movement in the artificial satellite and the area the thing where the world will repel the thought does. By the way, when respects Plutonium peaceful uses from the ramyon proposes, the thing which will be possible the thought does. 365day, The packing which is unified and the use menu of the reception and sending system which is integrated and commonness will freeze with nonacceptance at the time of economic sanction (plz and wind& sun)

While restraint installing which is powerful if will become the system where also the use of the military force which is one is included and thinks is a thing which will be better. Thinks minimum safety device. The terrorists sees the newspaper or broadcasting, see the talk of the themselves being broadcast, think that wants.

China (SamSung & LG, LCD) and Brazil?(Subcontract enterprise)

Wall Street reform national support thinks that with the disruption which is not visible in the eye of the enormous cartel the possibility which will be stopped up in the deceptive alcoholic beverage is big. Thinks that must show the guarantee which is a thing where the property of the themselves will be safe in the people who shares an intention. (Greece?)

Internal prosecution person and tax. (The citizens is excited and thinks one in the method where becomes a prisoner of war of sense of justice.)

Thank you.

LAYRA
Alabama, USA
April 15, 2010

Layra in Alabama writes:

Hillary, you're the greatest woman in the world.I found this and want to share with all;an excellent video of David Miliband

John P.
Greece
April 14, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

@ Donald M. in VA

Very good idea! (concerning a mag –let’s hypothetically call it “Dip Best of the Best Notes”). But, I would suggest a “new-media” supplement (button) for this, within DipNote. Not a print out product.

I would also put a banner link for this in the state.gov platform. So, someone who has not enough time to surf in DipNote all the time can have the “hits”. (Of course I know that DipNote staff already hate me for this suggestion, because they are just a few people and probably have no time for this too -- CHUCKLE!). They are doing a great job though.

You know Donald, magazines are gone, new media are born. Paper costs and circulation is expensive. We have to follow the new era. That’s why I adapt this electronic version of your excellent idea.

I disagree with the “Coffee cups, t-shirts, sports bags, towels, ball caps all with the State Department LOGO” etc., on the ground that SD must keep its serious, reliable profile. My dear friend, SD is not a circus company.

However, the most important is that we “think”. I think, after your new idea, we are close to a great perspective to make our “space” even better.

But, SD and DipNote staff know better. I think that they will evaluate our thoughts.

Best Regards!

(Can I joke? Don’t talk about earthquakes. When you do it… something happens.)

Patrick
Maryland, USA
April 15, 2010

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi, Everyone at the States Department.

I See my favorite diplomat Sec.Hillary Clinton has been very busy this week .:)

I think the signing went well,and it's great that were getting rid of the excess plutonium materials in both of our Countries.

I hope everyone has had a good week so far, and people like me that have allergies are felling better after the rain we had here.

See Ya...:)

Flavius
April 15, 2010

Flavius in Virginia writes:

Whaddya mean the State Department isn't a circus company? They got lion tamers, high wire acts, contortionists, cotton candy salesmen and a ringmaster named Hillary. We could call them the "Cirque du State!"

You will note that I failed to mention clowns.

They can, however, fit amazing numbers of foreign service personnel inside a limo.

John P.
Greece
April 26, 2010

John P. in Greece writes:

Dear Madame Secretary of State,

I would like to help U.S. find a pure, undiscovered, physical talent for Diplomacy. His name is Flavius.

LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
Although he cannot accept the fact that SD is full of high-end experienced analysts, extremely dedicated and good diplomats and the most important, patriots that are fighting for America and worldwide freedom he has the illussion that he can service better than you and the staff. Although he believes that SD is a team of lion tamers, high wire acts, contortionists, cotton candy salesmen and a ringmaster that closes the show, calling em’ all "Cirque du State!" -clowns included, he is sure that he would do things better than anyone else.

So, I would suggest you all to resign and leave it up to Flavius. Although he obviously hates U.S.A., he thinks that can be a master of diplomacy. A real magician.

I’d say a comedian too!

JP

OysterCracker
April 16, 2010

Oyster C. in U.S.A. writes:

OysterCracker would like to suggest that the State Department consider making children a National Treasure with full rights and protection under the law. This would reduce the need of foreign adoptions as orphans would not be allowed to be trafficked and exploited. Unofficial adoptions by the Russian Mafia would cease. We would know who is coming and going into the country and keep accurate account of all children in the USA.

As most children see a doctor or attend school, it's imperative that the government document these children. I was told by a father that he adopted a child from the Russian Mafia Did they ever investigate? I highly doubt it. It's common knowledge that the Los Angeles FBI won't go after these criminals. WHY? There's so much crime going on in the country and its security agencies won't investigate. Why is that?

Flavius
April 28, 2010

Flavius in Virginia writes:

@ John in Greece:

You know, I just now read John's response to my post.

There is nothing negative about the State Department in what I said, except the part about "cotton candy salesmen." Those are, sadly, extant in every organization.

It is good to have people who can walk the high wire. I can't. It is good to have people who can tame lions. I can't. It is good to have contortionists who can wrap themselves around difficult problems. I can't. It is good to have a ringmaster to tell us what's going on and to direct the whole scene. I can't.

John, get out of Greece and come home so you can save America from me. Your country needs you. We just don't get to laugh often enough anymore.

Flavius
April 28, 2010

Flavius in Virginia writes:

You know, Dipnote, there is a policy of no personal attacks on this blog. I seem to be an exception to this policy. I've been called anti-american and I've been threatened with becoming a chew toy for someone's dog.

I will admit that I take "difficult" positions. I fully expect my positions to be pilloried. I do not, however, expect personal attacks on my patriotism, even by individuals who lack any sense of irony whatsoever.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Flavius
April 28, 2010

Flavius in Virginia writes:

It was my understanding that notes to Dipnote would not be published. Lo and behold, THAT turns out not to be true EITHER. Someone's asleep at the watch! No wonder some of this stuff gets posted!

Now I'm never going to be able to show my face here again. Oh well.

April 29, 2010

@ Flavius:

Um Flavius, would you like a constructive suggestion?

No matter, I'll offer it anyway (chuckle).

When someone "doesn't understand" your words, do you blame the ear for being deaf to them or your point not being made clear on your choice of words?

I suggest you think about the intellectual investment you make.

You shouldn't take thihgs so personally, the more people I meet the better I like my dog, and I don't even like dogs enough to have one that will slobber you to death, Ok?

So now that we have that strait, you still trying to sell me something?

I'm not exactly your motivated buyer.