International Community Supports Haitian-Led Food Security

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
February 12, 2010
Woman Sprinkles Water on the Ground in Leogane, Haiti

More about the crisis and how you can help:state.gov/haitiquake

On February 12, the one-month anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti, Haitian Agriculture Minister Jonas Gue will convene a high-level international meeting at the UN World Food Programme headquarters. The meeting will address Haiti's medium and long-term agricultural development, food security and nutrition. This event is part of broad international mobilization to support the country's reconstruction.

Jacques Diouf, Director General of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Josette Sheeran, Executive Director of the World Food Programme (WFP), and Kanayo Nwanze, President of the International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD) will participate in the discussions.

Cheryl Mills, State Department Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary Clinton, will represent the United States at the meeting.

According to the UN agency, the United States is the largest donor to date to the World Food Programme's emergency relief efforts in Haiti, having given $78 million and 4 million ready-to-eat meals.

The World Food Programme will carry the event live online at www.wfp.org from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

Comments

Comments

Cathleen L.
February 12, 2010

Cathleen in New York writes:

My heart breaks to know what is really happening in Haiti. My sister has been homeless, residing outside of the rubble of what was once her home and she has yet to have received a bottle of water nor a tent from anyone. The distribution of food and water has been disorganized. Accounts of the product distributed being sold to people at the street markets makes my stomach turn when some have not received anything as of yet and are relying on thei families abroad to send them Western Unions and wires so they can buy what was supposed to be free. I would buy a tent for them from the relief agencies if I could. I would pay for relief to reach her and those who wait on her street for assistance. I am disgusted that over 1 Billion has been raised yet you still know of people who have yet to receive even a bottle of water. I am disgusted.

palgye
South Korea
February 12, 2010

Paigye in South Korea writes:

Dear to Former President Bill Clinton.

Prays, a quick recovery.

i read this article today.

Former President Bill Clinton, who had quadruple bypass surgery more than five years ago, was hospitalized Thursday to have a clogged heart artery opened after suffering discomfort in his chest.
and
He expected Clinton to be released from the hospital Friday.

Prays, a quick recovery.

Patrick
Maryland, USA
February 12, 2010

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hello, State Dep People...

I hope President Clintons, has a Speedy Recovery and is able to continue his work with the people of Haiti.

Also, don't sneak him a "Cheeseburger". :)

...Cya ..:)

Samson
Maryland, USA
February 13, 2010

Samson in Maryland writes:

I'm glad to see how U.S. and all of those other countries whose helping the haitian people put their heads together in doing so. But it is ashame to see how some people taking advantage of the situation to selling the staffs that people should have for free. a time like this would be the time to look out for each other, support each other not taking advantage of the situation. My familly over there not even received a bottle of water yet, but I'd like to thanks all the aids, U.N, U.S, and all other countries and organization who reached over to help. We really appreciate it, we pray so God
will bless ya even more. My hearts is you all, my Haitian people, I love ya.

Samson
Maryland, USA
February 13, 2010

Samson in Maryland writes:

I send my prayer to you Mr. President, please get well soon.
God bless you

jenifer
United Kingdom
February 13, 2010

Jenifer in U.K. writes:

UN officials estimated some 1 million people had been left homeless in Myanmar. Some aid workers said heavily flooded areas were accessible only by boat, with helicopters unable to find dry spots for landing relief supplies.Many people are getting sick. The whole place is under salt water and there is nothing to drink. I have donated U.S. $ 30 (small for sure ) to the Red Cross collected through sales of digital products through my http://www.download-tvshows.com/ website. It's really heart rendering to see loss of thousands of innocent lives to this natural disaster.

Joe
Tennessee, USA
February 13, 2010

Joe in Tennessee writes:

Internal developement of natural resources should be mandated if necessary. All those free hands should be doing something developmental ... and would if Political Leaders knew how to organize something other than getting elected. Leadership is the ability to organize and maintain oversight. That is the greatest lacking feature that exist in Haiti and why Military efforts are far superior to any Governmental efforts to date world wide...

It is nice to see any President well and providing support to those less fortunite. Hopefully President Clinton's existence there will not raise property values too much... How about some Morning Star Buffalo wings...LOL!

DonaldM
February 14, 2010

Donald in Virginia writes:

We all wish the best for Haiti and all countries that have experienced earthquakes or natural disasters. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people.

1. Establish a desalt plant to bring in fresh potable drinking water to the people, good clean fresh water.

2. Start a fishing campaign to help feed the hungry.

Good luck and Godspeed!!!

OysterCracker
February 16, 2010

OysterCracker in USA writes:

I know that its not a priority but I think all children in Haiti should be required to learn agriculture and sustainable growing techniques. It could be infused into the regular curriculum. The subject matter can concentrate on simple growing projects and become increasingly more complex in High School such as plant physiology,agricultural botany, medicinal plants etc. If the curriculum is science, agriculturally based, a new generation of agronomists and agricultural specialists could be created. Haitians could gain practical work experience working in U.S. agricultural industries. The work experience could be fused with college classes/curriculum specifically designed towards Haiti's agricultural future. A Haiti/USA partnership could benefit both countries because as agriculture improved, Haiti would find a hungry market in America for their cheap coffee and tropical fruits. It could be a win-win if organized well.

linda
Philippines
July 23, 2010

Linda in the Philippines writes:

So much needs to be done after such devastation. I think Haiti needs to first and foremost ensure that they can have sustainable water supply.

Quynh N.
August 13, 2010

Quynh N. in California writes:

It was a very sad moment. You have no idea how sad it was to wake up in the morning and open CNN to see the reporters say that thousands of people died in a 7+ magnitude earthquake. I was literally crying because of the news. As soon as I finished watching the news, I went to my online website and make a post on the front page of my website to ask for donation from daily visitors. Although, the amount is not great because most of my site visitors are teenagers to young adult. Fortunately, we managed to collected $433 through paypal. After processing fee to paypal and everything, we were left with around $400. As poor as I am, I decided to put in another $100 to make it half a grand. At the end of the day, we were able to achieve this.

Although, the amount is nothing comparing to others but at the end of the day I feel that I've helped somebody out there who is in need of foods and shelter.

Joseph J.
September 21, 2010

Joseph J. in California writes:

These kind of natural disasters are heart breaking. Lot of people loose their or their loved ones lives coz of this. I urge everyone to donate something for the cause. Government needs to act pro actively to control the loss of life and to get the life on track.

Joseph J.
September 22, 2010

Joseph J. in California writes:

One more thing. I think we all should contribute to help others by donating something and we can also get others to support in this noble cause. I did requested one of the portals to help me in this cause and they did reverted back and helped in donating $100 to the red cross society. All of us can also become more proactive in our approach.