Situation in Haiti and Adoption of Haitian Children

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 20, 2010

More about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake | Haiti Adoptions

Yesterday, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Consular Affairs Michelle Bond provided an update on the situation in Haiti and information on the adoption of Haitian children. On efforts to assist U.S. citizens in Haiti, Ms. Bond said:

"We have evacuated more than 4,500 U.S. citizens in the week since the earthquake hit. That’s a phenomenal number considering that we’re taking them out of an area that’s been devastated by the earthquake and we’re taking them out to airport that’s rather small and limited in its capacity. Yesterday alone we evacuated almost 1,700 American citizens. We are routinely shuttling citizens from the U.S. Embassy compound to the airport for evacuation. To date, Americans who have arrived at the Embassy for assistance or who go directly to the airport we’ve been able to assist them that day to depart and we’re very happy and very proud that that’s been the case. They haven’t had to wait and wait for us to be able to help them get out of the country. U.S. citizens with passports have been instructed to proceed directly to the airport for evacuation flights."

The toll free number for information or inquiries about American citizens in Haiti is 1-888-407-4747. The email address is Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Ms. Bond continued, "I mentioned that American citizens who have been affected by the earthquake are our top priority. Well, American citizens who are waiting to complete the adoptions of children in Haiti are included in those who are top priority. We know there are several hundred Americans in the United States who were in various stages in the process of adopting Haitian children. Naturally, they are frantic with worry about the children’s welfare and they want to know how to expedite adoption so the children can be brought safely home to the United States.

"On January 18, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, in coordination with the U.S. Department of State, announced a humanitarian parole policy allowing orphaned children from Haiti to enter the United States temporarily on an individual basis to ensure that they receive the care they need – as part of the U.S. government’s ongoing support of international recovery efforts after the earthquake. Information about this process can be found on our website adoptions.state.gov."

Parents who are interested in following up on this and determining whether their own child is eligible to receive a visa and travel now or who want to know what they can do to get their child’s case processed can emails us at ASKCI@state.gov

Read Ms. Bond's full remarks here.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Rebecca L.
Maryland, USA
January 21, 2010

Rebecca L. in Maryland writes:

I am very disappointed in the way Hilary Clinton and the State Department have handled the situation with the orphans who are nearly adopted by US families. They have been left unprotected by the hundreds, living in squalor, getting sick and dehydrated while living outside for over a week. And the State Department continues to push papers. This is not acceptable. If swift action is not taken to protect these children, Hillary Clinton and the State Department will face a major backlash.

I cannot express how difficult it is to watch this happen at the hands of a great country that I love and have always been very proud of.

Eric H.
Oregon, USA
January 21, 2010

Eric H. in Oregon writes:

The efforts made so far are appreciated ... but we must move quickly to get the adopted children out of Haiti. Please do more to protect the lives of these little ones. Each hour that passes keeps them in harms way, without aide and protection.

Amy L.
Maryland, USA
January 21, 2010

Amy L. in Maryland writes:

What is being done to assist the Haitian adoptees/orphans? Why are they not being granted access to our country? There are people who have already adopted them, who are trying to get them out before they perish! Why on earth is this not being expedited? Mrs. Clinton needs to do something NOW!

Normita
January 21, 2010

Normita in California writes:

Dep. Secretary Bond:

Thank you for your compassion to the people in Haiti and the children. I will share this information with my friends and colleagues. Every call to action is vital and urgent at this time.

God bless.

Joab c.
January 21, 2010

Joab C. in U.S.A. writes:

I would like to thank God for your help and i am very greatful to our government.To any other country who are helping Haiti,but please do not any money to the haiti government bcause that money will not to those who need help...thank you so much

Patrick
Maryland, USA
January 21, 2010

Patrick in Maryland writes:

Hi' My Extraordinary Friends Of The Department
OF States. :)

I think everyone at the States Department is
doing an "Extremely Good Job" ,of supporting the Citizens of Haiti . I was very impressed
by the fast action of our country's support
efforts and rescue missions into Haiti after
the earthquake. I am also very proud of the
other countries quick response to this event.

We are lucky to have so many caring people in
the world.

Cya....and tell Hillary she's doing a Great Job :)

Lynne S.
Texas, USA
January 21, 2010

Lynne S. in Texas writes:

We had the Texas Task Force out of College Station who moved the needed supplies to Ellington Airfield in Houston awaiting a flight to Haiti to assist in the rescue/recover efforts. They were awaiting for a flight to HAiti. When has there been a probem for the government to come wth transportation? You can fly Hillary over there and take five more planes to protect her. Hillary is there to observe. The Texas task force had equipment and were ready to work.
It is a sad day when we have people available and the day comes to recieve word of their flight only to find out their flight has been cancelled.

Texas has much to offer. Maybe we should succeed from the union.

Nadege H.
January 22, 2010

Nadege H. in New York writes:

Iam a resident alien I have a sick and homeless mother and siblings in Haiti, how can I bring them here in the US

Kimberly A.
January 21, 2010

Kimberly A. in California writes:

I am interested in Fos-Adopt or foster Care for 4 children from Haiti. I am particularly interested in an infant. Please contact me by email.

Sunnye S.
January 22, 2010

Sunnye S. in California writes:

I would like to foster a Haitian child or would be open to adoption. Please advise on what resources you can offer.

Thanks & God Bless,
Sunnye

Lucknine C.
Haiti
January 22, 2010

Lucknine writes:

I would like to adopt 4 children from Haiti
what can I do to do so.

sharon m.
Rhode Island, USA
January 22, 2010

Sharon M. in Rhode Island writes:

I am not a wealthy person. I have raised three sons. I am willing and able to love and care for 1 or 2 small children from haiti

Jennifer V.
Massachusetts, USA
January 25, 2010

Jennifer V. in Massachusetts writes:

My husband and I are interested in adopting and would appreciate any assistance in going about this. Please advise

Ernestine B.
South Carolina, USA
January 25, 2010

Ernestine B. in South Carolina writes:

My husband and I will love to foster or adopt 2-4 of the children of Haiti. We are open to adopting a family from Haiti, also, until they are on their feet. Please let us know how to apply. We are not wealthy, but we are blessed!

Angie N.
Arkansas, USA
January 25, 2010

Angie N. in Arkansas writes:

I have 3 children and I feel like if I don,t help I am letting the children down please let me know more of what to do. Thank you.

Chris
Missouri, USA
January 25, 2010

Chris in Missouri writes:

Please consider the time it could take to get the few hundred children out of the country that have pending adoptions. These children have families waiting for them that will take care of them. These children were already under weight before the earthquake took place and now some of them are missing meals or not eating the correct food. If you don't act more quickly those little ones are going to needlessly parish. Getting the children out shouldn't effect the ability to help the rest of Haiti they just need a plane ride out. Find a way to pre-process there paperwork in the U.S. I do agree that you have an extremely difficult job to do in organizing this effort and I appreciate your granting Humanitarian parole to them, but that was days ago and haven't seen many children come out since. Please find a way to get them out quicker. God bless you.

Brenda B.
Nebraska, USA
January 25, 2010

Brenda and Michael B. in Nebraska writes:

We would like to adopt a child from Haiti. Contact us with information, in light of the situation & any process changes. We don't have a problem w/ the security screenings but do hope & pray the process gets extremely expedited because the orphaned children need help ASAP (like yesterday)! We have 2 boys, 4 & 9, so we would LOVE to have a little girl, preferrably under 5.

Elisabeth
January 25, 2010

Elisabeth writes:

Dear Miss Michelle Bond,

I realize at this point in time that sending Haitian orphans who may still have family members in Haiti looking for them is a top priority. I hope that they do find their relatives. However before the earthquake struck there were 380,000 children living in orphanages. I know many of them were actually temporarily placed there but there were 100,000s more that actually had no one. Now there may be 100,000s more that are indeed orphaned by this tragedy. Many Americans have offered their help by giving loving homes to these children. I believe that this is an excellent oppertunity to work with the Haitian government to work with the US to persue a way to allow couples in America to adopt from Haiti easier in the months and years to come. Right now there is a strict age limit of 35 years and married 10. There are many people, like my husband and I, who cannot have children of our own and would like to adopt. However we are under the age of 35 and not married long enough. Yet we have houses, jobs, and plenty of love to spare. Also the cost of a Haitian adoption is exremely high. Many couples simply can't afford it and that takes away many oppertunities to unite these children with people who could take care of them. I hope that the US government considers taking some orphans and allowing them to be adopted through the US foster care system which is a wonderful program and costs far less. I hope that the Haitian government will see after this tragic earthquake that there are many people around the world willing to adopt and consider lowering their restrictions and costs. I hope the US government will work to reach this goal in the months to come so that incomplete families, like mine, can give a child a loving home.

marissa
Trinidad and Tobago
January 25, 2010

Marissa in Trinidad and Tobago writes:

i will love to adopt a girl how do i ?

Carolina P.
Brazil
January 25, 2010

Carolina P. in Brazil writes:

I would like to adopt 1 child from Haiti, who could provide information on this please??
Thank you very much for your help...
Carolina

BEATRICE L.
February 1, 2010

Beatrice L. in New York writes:

I am a US Citizen living in NY. I would like to adopt both of my nieces from Haiti which during the earthquake lost both their mother and father. Please, advise on how I can proceed with the adoption and where to send the necessary paper work and how long this process will last. As of now, the kids are with a friend of mine which herself does not have a place to stay.
Please, help or advise with this situation.
Regards
Beatrice L.

Davida A.
Georgia, USA
January 26, 2010

Davida A. in Georgia writes:

I would love to adopt a little boy but I dont know who to contact. I do have 1 son and it would be great for him to grow up with a brother since I cant have any more children. Who do we contact concerning this matter anybody know?

Yvette P.
Illinois, USA
January 26, 2010

Yvette P. in Illinois writes:

My husband and I would love to foster a couple of young children from Haiti and possibly adopt them. We are foster parents already. Do you need these services for the children of haiti? With the earthquake and people in the states offering to help take care of these homeless-parentless children surely there is something our government can do to help get these children here for us to care for and it not cost upwards of $20,000. Please provide me with any information that you can. THank you, Yvette

Marcela M.
Czech Republic
January 26, 2010

Marcela M. in Czech Republic writes;

Hello weighing

I appeal to you as someone who is dreading the great tragedy in Haiti. Profound regret over this tragedy of people who do not have easy life in this part of the world. I am very happy to join the rehabilitation of disabled people - children after this appalling tragedy. I understand that humanitarian assistance in the affected area is inevitable and necessary priority at this time. I am bound life in this world to help people. Offer assistance - to adopt children from the affected area of Haiti into the Czech Republic.

Please be information on the email address.
God bless

Marcela M.
Czech Republik

Michele G.
January 27, 2010

Michele G. in California writes:

I want to foster children from Haiti; so many are without adults for one reason or another.

Is there an agency that is looking for legitimate foster homes?

Barb B.
Wisconsin, USA
January 27, 2010

Barb B. in Wisconsin writes:

My husband and I would like to foster a child from Haiti....where do we go for info on this.

Sue
North Carolina, USA
January 27, 2010

Sue in North Carolina writes:

please send info. on adoption/foster for haitian child(ren). Thanks & God Bless!

Jennifer
Texas, USA
January 27, 2010

Jennifer in Texas writes:

I work for International Family Services- a Texas based International/Domestic Adoption/Foster Care agency (Hague Accredited). We are trying to find out if there is someone official we can talk to about providing foster homes for the Haitian children. We have been contacted by numerous families and potential donors that would love to help these children by providing foster homes while the officials look for parents and relatives of the children. We even have the use of a plane to bring the children to the US and our own source of funding for the foster families. We can get our families trained and certified quickly with our resources here and feel that we can successfully supervise about 500-1000 foster homes in Texas. If anyone knows who is advocating for these children within the government for a program like this, please let me know!

Sandra R.
Maine, USA
January 29, 2010

Sandra R. in Maine writes:

If there is a need for foster homes please advise. It appears the process is still in question....if and when a governing decision is made please contact me. In the mean time the children are in my thoughts.

McCoy
Texas, USA
February 2, 2010

McCoy in Texas writes:

I would love to adopt a Haitian child. How can I get information on Haitian adoptions?

Thanks,