Text "4636" for Help in Haiti

Posted by Katie Dowd
January 19, 2010
Earthquake Survivors Gather in Makeshift Camp in Port-au-Prince

More about the crisis and how to help:state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Katie Dowd serves as New Media Director at the U.S. Department of State.Update: Comcel Voila customers can now access the 4636 (INFO) short code in Haiti to report their needs and locations.

A group of engineers from the tech community launched a free SMS relief information service to help people in Haiti. The text message program allows people with Digicel service to text their location and their need to a free short code: "4636" (INFO). For example, someone could text "I need water" or "I need medical help" with their location and these messages will be routed to aid organizations and emergency responders on the ground for free.

If you know someone in Haiti, please share the "4636" program with them so they can text their needs and sign up for further information on relief efforts. You can also sign up someone else's phone number by texting REGISTER or REGISTRE and their location and number to 4636.This is also available internationally by texting REGISTER or REGISTRE and the person affected in Haiti's number and location to +4673 749 4535.

PLEASE NOTE: For those texting internationally, including from the United States, regular international rates will apply. We must do all we can to empower people affected by this catastrophic situation.

Please also note this is only available to those with Digicel service and also where telecommunications systems are working. We are working quickly to bring this system up with other service providers and are working to re-establish systems as fast as possible. We will provide additional information as soon as possible.

Please follow us on Twitter @dipnote for further developments.

For information or inquiries about U.S. citizens in Haiti, please call 888-407-4747. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, call 202-501-4444. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Pavica A.
Argentina
January 21, 2010

Dr. Pavica A. in Argentina writes:

To Whom It May Concern:

Knowing about your commitment with the international community and the current events,
I want to contribite to serve in the best interests of the United States.
I am Ph. D. in International Relations, with skills, experience and capacity to develop complex analyses.
I am at Your service.
At your disposal for any further information, contact me.
Sincerely,
Dr. Pavica A.

Pavica A.
Argentina
January 20, 2010

Dr. Pavica A. in Argentina writes:

To Whom It May Concern:

I want to contribute to serve in the best interests of the United States.
I am at Your service.
At your disposal for any further information, please contact me.

Sincerely,
Dr. Pavica A.

Pavica A.
Argentina
January 20, 2010

Dr. Pavica A. in Argentina writes:

To Whom It May Concern:

I want to contribute to serve in the best interests of the United States.
I am at Your service.
At your disposal for any further information, please contact me.

Sincerely,
Dr. Pavica A.

Charles S.
Minnesota, USA
January 20, 2010

Charles S. in Minnesota writes:

It seems that you are having problems getting the orphans who have families waiting for them here in the USA out of Haiti.

What can I do to help? I am retired and have time.

Regards,
Chuck

Sarah A.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 20, 2010

Sarah A. in Pennsylvania writes:

I work the American Red Cross and we think this is a great referal for many of the calls we are receiving. Unfortunately people are having issues sending these text messages. Could it be clarified the exact numbers to text to? If you are in Haiti you can text to "4636". If you are in the United States it says to text to "+4673 749 4535". Clients are stating this does work. Do they need to type 001 and the country code? And do they need to include plus signs and spaces?

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!

Renata C.
January 21, 2010

Renata C. in Florida writes:

The American spirit is a giving and caring spirit that knows no boundaries. I am proud of the American people.
A group of us will be leading efforts to assist the government in any way that is needed to bring orphans from Haiti to a home in the U.S. If you are interested in joining this private effort to assist the public sector, but more importantly, to help children in need, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Renata C.

Lisa W.
January 21, 2010

Lisa W. in California writes:

Secretary Clinton thank you for your leadership,

I recently sent a message regarding medical supplies, and noted your concern with delivery and timing in the press. Thank you for addressing our concerns. Thought targeting cities with high Haitian population (based on Census) that have local medical supply companies which may be in need of an infusion to create local jobs in the Haitian community, or hard hit cities with high unemployment might benefit from a slice of USA donations going directly for medical supply in those zip codes to spur local hiring to augment the bulk supplies I'm sure DHS and FEMA have on tap for local disasters. Those cities are: South Florida, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Boston, Jamaica Queens, and Chicago. This could spur additional local hiring, and jumpstart activity for Fed Ex and UPS as well, to get supplies to army transport planes or perhaps they may have access to Haiti airport already. Those targeted medical supply lists provided by NGO's and some media outlets can assist in targeting specific needs that have been requested and are still unfilled. This effort can support our healthcare industry at a time when we need change of message and support of the people who need jobs in those high unemployment zones. Thanks to all your hardworking State Dept folks.

Astrid Z.
United Kingdom
January 21, 2010

Astrid Z. in United Kingdom writes:

Sarah, the exit code for text messages from the United States is 011.

Please let me know if this works for you, or if you have any other queries.

Astrid Z.

Eilene G.
Ohio, USA
January 29, 2010

Eilene G. in Ohio writes:

Will the State Department use the rescue code (4666) and registration code (4636) in future domestic and international disaster situations?

Arielle D.
Haiti
February 22, 2010

PLEASE DO NOT POST AT THIS TIME/ FORWARDED TO STATE DEPT HAITI TASK FORCE

The state Dept, redcross and my children in United States arranged an evacuation for me from Haiti, i'm sick in Haiti, i'm bleeding everyday . My Daughter was killed by the quacke and now i'm extremely sick i need a surgery asap. I was told to wait at Justinien's Hospital in Haiti, i was there for 2 days i did not see anyone.
Please contact me at 36673681 for my evacution otherwise i will bleed to death. please, please, please help me.
CALL ME TO SET UP A MEETING, EVALUATION AT 36673681
Thanks

gilbeerte l.
Massachusetts, USA
March 3, 2010

Gilbeerte S.L. in Massachusetts writes:

my mom 74 years old and my niece 10 years old have beenstanding for 3 nights cold and wet for 3 nights Iam in boston Ma in a 3 bedrooms house I can provide them shelter for a while please help me gov clinton my mom stat to get sick now help me please

evelyne c.
Haiti
March 4, 2010

Evelyne C. writes:

my name is Evelyne I am a nurse ;I have a brother in Haiti he has family a wife and two children.Her wife has a orphelinat she has 25 orphan, could someone help them to come to USA or Europe Please Help