Haiti Earthquake and Intercountry Adoption

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 17, 2010
Child Sits Across From Collapsed National Palace in Port-au-Prince

Intercountry Adoptions: Haiti | Haiti Adoption Alert: January 15

We have received numerous inquiries from American citizens whose Haitian adoptions had already been completed by the Haitian Government. We understand the deep concern these prospective adoptive parents feel about the welfare of these children, and we are actively working to identify available options in light of the recent tragedy.

DHS’ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs have already begun defining possible ways to expedite these pending cases. DHS is actively considering expedited Humanitarian Parole for pending adoption cases in which the Government of Haiti previously issued a final adoption decree or granted custody to U.S. citizen adoptive parents for the purpose or emigration and adoption in the United States. As soon as there is a plan in place, we will provide details.

As you know, the U.S. Embassy is focusing its efforts to assist U.S. citizens in Haiti directly affected by the crisis.

The State Department continues to make adoptions a priority and we are continuing to work on adoption cases.

U.S. citizens with pending adoption cases in Haiti are requested to contact the Department of State at askci@state.gov for information about their adoption case. In your inquiry, please include in the subject line, Haitian adoption Information. The inquiry should include the full name and contact information (including e-mail address) of parents, full name(s) of child(ren), date(s) of birth of child(ren) (if possible), a brief summary of the status of the case, and the name and contact information for the orphanage, and the file and/or case number.

To bring an adopted child to United States from Haiti, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more here.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Haiti also has eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents. Learn more here.

More about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquakeHow To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Tonya S.
Kentucky, USA
January 29, 2010

Tonya S. in Kentucky writes:

Hello,my husband and I would like to adopt a infant or toddler " boy or girl." We have a 3 year old son and now we would love to adopt a child from Haiti. THANK YOU.

sandra J.
North Carolina, USA
February 1, 2010

Sandra J. in North Carolina writes:

My husnabd and I would like to adopt a couple of children and we are waiting ti hear about what the goverment is going to do as we know millions and millions have went over to them during this time of this earth quake and I hope that peeople who are wanting to adopt will not have to pay any money only the cost to go over and bring the childrn back that should be the only expense that should take place because if they try to get money for the children they are saleing them to us after we and other countries have already given millions and millions to them. I think we should be given a background check and a social worker come to the home and see where the children will be living and I know many people are wanting to bring the children home so they can have a life that will give them the education and hope they need at this time. I pray and hope it want be years of waiting but asap this will start to take place.

Thanks, Sandra

Michial M.
Canada
February 1, 2010

Michial Moore in Canada writes:

Hi my wife and I would like to adopt a little girl and boy from Haiti if you will let us...

rughvir s.
February 1, 2010

Rughvir S. in New York writes:

I would like to adopt a baby girl that ranges from a newly born to 6 months

Rughvir S.
February 1, 2010

Rughvir S. in New York writes:

I would like to adopt a baby girl, and her age should be from a new born to 6 months or less.

Tina B.
Mississippi, USA
February 1, 2010

Tina B. in Mississippi writes:

Hi,me and my husband and my daughter would love to adopt a newborn or a toddler boy and a girl from Haiti.Please let us know how we can adopt these children.THANK YOU

Kimberly
Mississippi, USA
February 1, 2010

Kimberly in Mississippi writes:

Hello,I would like to adopt a infant or toddler.I am a single
young lady who have my on house and being work for SUNFLOWER COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT.I don't have any kids I being kepting my neice over 8years.I would do all I can to be the best mom for them,because my heart go out to them and it's hurts to see what they are going through if possible could you please inform me if u can.....luv KIMBERLY G.....

Denise C.
North Carolina, USA
February 2, 2010

Denise C. in North Carolina writes:

my name is denise my husband name is dan weboth would like information about adoption prefer a little boy between the age of 2 to 7 we have a lot of love to give please send information on how to get started thank you Dan and Denise C. Holly Springs North Carolina

kathleen D.
Michigan, USA
March 16, 2010

Kathleen and Vern D. in Michigan write:

Hello my name is kathleen and Vern. I already have two loving kids named Melissa and jennifer.They have children of their own. We too also have a lot of love to give. We would also like a boy between the ages of 2 and 7. If you could just send us some information on how to adopt we are really looking forward to doing this.
Thank-you, kathleen and Vern from Union City, Michigan