Haiti Earthquake and Intercountry Adoption

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 17, 2010
Child Sits Across From Collapsed National Palace in Port-au-Prince

Intercountry Adoptions: Haiti | Haiti Adoption Alert: January 15

We have received numerous inquiries from American citizens whose Haitian adoptions had already been completed by the Haitian Government. We understand the deep concern these prospective adoptive parents feel about the welfare of these children, and we are actively working to identify available options in light of the recent tragedy.

DHS’ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs have already begun defining possible ways to expedite these pending cases. DHS is actively considering expedited Humanitarian Parole for pending adoption cases in which the Government of Haiti previously issued a final adoption decree or granted custody to U.S. citizen adoptive parents for the purpose or emigration and adoption in the United States. As soon as there is a plan in place, we will provide details.

As you know, the U.S. Embassy is focusing its efforts to assist U.S. citizens in Haiti directly affected by the crisis.

The State Department continues to make adoptions a priority and we are continuing to work on adoption cases.

U.S. citizens with pending adoption cases in Haiti are requested to contact the Department of State at askci@state.gov for information about their adoption case. In your inquiry, please include in the subject line, Haitian adoption Information. The inquiry should include the full name and contact information (including e-mail address) of parents, full name(s) of child(ren), date(s) of birth of child(ren) (if possible), a brief summary of the status of the case, and the name and contact information for the orphanage, and the file and/or case number.

To bring an adopted child to United States from Haiti, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more here.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Haiti also has eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents. Learn more here.

More about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquakeHow To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Jeannie W.
January 20, 2010

Jeannie A. W. in Florida writes:

Would love to adopt one child from Haiti would be interested in learning more. Just a place to start would be great. There are so many of us waiting to help, love, and provide forever homes. Kind regards to all.

Roberta M.
Wisconsin, USA
January 20, 2010

Roberta M. in Wisconsin writes:

It is crazy that someone in the state department cannot get their proverbial act together. I have friends who have been in the adoption process for their daughter in Haiti for almost three years. They are now watching her sleep outside because the orphanage she is in is too heavily damaged. These children have Vicks and toothpaste under their noses to try and combat the smell of decaying bodies. One of the workers at the orphanage passed away two days ago from injuries. Yet, even though they have all their paperwork, there continues to be endless red tape, bs reasons, why their daughter cannot be evacuatd. The latest, she has a Visa but it is at the US Embassy. The line at the embassy would require her, a three year old, to sit outside in dangerous streets to hopefully get it. The Dutch have flown children out. The governor of Pennsylvania just flew 54 children out. I hope the state department can live with itself knowing children in this orphanage are becoming sick and dehydrated while someone waits to make just the right decision. Get a grip. These are children. Do something and quit sitting around trying to tie up every loose end. These children have families in the US who have been waiting years to give them a safe, loving home and all that may be lost because our government can't get its act together and do something for these kids who have no voice in the matter. DO SOMETHING!!!

hillbilleee
West Virginia, USA
January 20, 2010

Hillbilleee in West Virginia writes:

there are orphans in the u.s. people, think about it

loretta p.
January 20, 2010

Loretta P. in Virginia writes:

I am interested in adopting a child orphaned by the Haitian earthquake. How do I go about getting started and does the United States' state department have a plan to simplify some of the red tape and beauracracy to help these disaster victims????????

Gwen J.
Texas, USA
January 20, 2010

Gwen J. in Texas writes:

I am intrested in adopting one of the kids affected by the earthquake. Can you please let me know what to do to start the process.

Lisa F.
Nebraska, USA
January 20, 2010

Lisa F. in Nebraska writes:

My husband and I would like to help a child in Haiti. Please pass this along to any agency bringing children in. Even if it is on a temporary basis we would like to provide a home for them.

Edward L.
January 21, 2010

Edward L. in California writes:

My wife and I would like to foster and or addopt to orphaned children from the Haiti.
we have wanted to addopt for about a year now and these children need help quick.

Carla P.
Nebraska, USA
January 21, 2010

Carla P. in Nebraska writes:

i have been to haiti working with el shaddi ministry 2 times over the last several years.......we have a trip planned in march... i would love to help bring children from haiti to the usa.......i have all my shots, passport,healthy , ready and willing to serve. please let me know if there is a need for escorts for these kids.

Harjeet
Canada
January 21, 2010

Harjeet in Canada writes:

I am interested in adopting one of the children in the Haiti earthquake. Please let me know how to get started in Canada.

Olivia
January 22, 2010

Olivia in California writes:

Great news out of Haiti!
80 Orphans on their way to Florida as we speak.

Nia
January 22, 2010

Nia in New York writes:

i am also interested in adopting a child from haiti plz let me know

Candy
Michigan, USA
January 22, 2010

Candy in Michigan writes:

My husband and I would like to get more information about adoption a baby from Haidi.. Please if you could send me some information to get me started. We are looking for a baby

RH
Kansas, USA
January 22, 2010

RH writes:

Can we can have information on how we can adopt a sibling group from Haiti? For years we have been approved by DFS, have completed foster care training and had many foster children.

LINDA G.
New Jersey, USA
January 25, 2010

Linda G. in New Jersey writes:

my husband and I would like to help in adoption of a hatiti chid or children of port au prince please contact me linda g. sad about the eartquake

MR
Georgia
January 25, 2010

MR in Georgia writes:

I would like to know how I could adopt 2 Haiti Children.

Kimberly W.
North Carolina, USA
January 25, 2010

Kimberly W. in North Carolina writes:

My heart goes motu fro the Hattian families i can"t imagine the pain they are having and going through. Please contact me if there is anything i can do i have 4children of my own but i would love to help a child are a family any way i could. Iam open to do whatever it takes. thanks Kimberly

Kristiana T.
Connecticut, USA
January 25, 2010

Kristiana T. in Connecticut writes:

My husband and I are interested in adopting a child from Haiti. Please contact us. We are extremely interested in helping a child.

Tia
January 25, 2010

Tia in California writes:

hello, i would like more information how 2 adopt a infant or a toddler (girls or boys) or small siblings.

Don
January 25, 2010

Don in California writes:

My Wife and I want to adopt 2 children from Haiti, pleaee let us know how.

PHIDOMISE L.
Tennessee, USA
January 25, 2010

Phidomise L. in Tennessee writes:

I HAVE TWO CHILDREN I NEED TO BRING FROM HAITI. THEIR FATHER DIED BEFORE THE EARTHQUAKE AND HOW HOME IS NOT SAFE ANYMORE. THEY HAVE BEEN LIVING ON THE STREET AND WE ARE THE ONLY FAMILY MEMBERS THEY HAVE AT THIS TIME. ANY HELP FOR THEM.

Robin S.
January 25, 2010

Robin S. in Virginia writes:

I understand the desire to keep children orphaned by the earthquake in Haiti in hopes of reuniting them with family. Are there children that perhaps were approved for intercountry adoption before the earthquake that were not matched with prospective parents? It seems these children could be brought to a safe haven in the US while permanent adoptive families are identified.

sahyli d.
January 25, 2010

Sahyli D. in U.S.A. writes:

my husband and i would like to adopt a kid from haiti that have lost their parents do to the earthquake, we want to help by giving a better life to one of those kids in need. help me adopt.

Angela H.
North Carolina, USA
January 25, 2010

Angela H. in North Carolina writes:

Me and my husband are parents and we would be willing to help by adopting a child or fostering a child that needs a home.If we can help please let us know how!

Mary C.
January 25, 2010

Mary Ann C. in California writes:

I would love to find out how I would get information about adopting a couple children from Haiti. There is a child his name is "Monley" can I find out about this child, I understand from TV that his uncle is unable to care for him and is looking for that help. And I'm interested in the older children of Haiti too. Please get me this information soon we all must do what we can for these children.

Linda H.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 26, 2010

Linda H. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am interested in adopting a child from HAITI.I am already a parent of a wonderful son that I adopted 5 yrs ago,and would love to give a loving home to a child from Haiti...I am hoping the process can go faster and the expense lowered ,due to the extreme situation in HAITI.Please let me know if this is possable.Thank You!

Vivian T.
Texas, USA
January 26, 2010

Vivian A. T. in Texas writes:

Hi, my husband and I are very interested in adopting an infant or small child from Haiti. If you can give me the information I need to continue the process, I would greatly appreciate it.

Amy R.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 26, 2010

Amy R. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am interested in adopting or fostering a child from Haiti. Boy or Girl, from age 3-7. I would love to be able to help, for a short time or permanently.

Florence C.
January 27, 2010

Florence C. in Florida writes:

My heart goes out to these orphaned children in Haiti, and my husband and I are interested in adopting 1-2 of these children. We are currently in the process of adopting an American boy of 12 yrs old. We would love to add a girl or sibling group of a girl and boy who have been orphaned by this Earthquake.

kimberly d.
Michigan, USA
January 27, 2010

Kimberly D. in Michigan writes:

how do we adopt a child from haiti? please let us know thank you

Anita
West Virginia, USA
January 27, 2010

Anita in West Virginia writes:

I have years worked for State Government and have checked out to be a credible person; down to finger printing and background check and all else which is required.
I am seeking to adopt a child from Haiti and know there are millions needing a home.
Expedite yes to adoptive parents who have applied.
What about the rest of us who can give good homes?
The children need us NOW. Please help to get around the red tape. Newscast point to more danger if the children remain in Haiti.