Haiti Earthquake and Intercountry Adoption

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 17, 2010
Child Sits Across From Collapsed National Palace in Port-au-Prince

Intercountry Adoptions: Haiti | Haiti Adoption Alert: January 15

We have received numerous inquiries from American citizens whose Haitian adoptions had already been completed by the Haitian Government. We understand the deep concern these prospective adoptive parents feel about the welfare of these children, and we are actively working to identify available options in light of the recent tragedy.

DHS’ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs have already begun defining possible ways to expedite these pending cases. DHS is actively considering expedited Humanitarian Parole for pending adoption cases in which the Government of Haiti previously issued a final adoption decree or granted custody to U.S. citizen adoptive parents for the purpose or emigration and adoption in the United States. As soon as there is a plan in place, we will provide details.

As you know, the U.S. Embassy is focusing its efforts to assist U.S. citizens in Haiti directly affected by the crisis.

The State Department continues to make adoptions a priority and we are continuing to work on adoption cases.

U.S. citizens with pending adoption cases in Haiti are requested to contact the Department of State at askci@state.gov for information about their adoption case. In your inquiry, please include in the subject line, Haitian adoption Information. The inquiry should include the full name and contact information (including e-mail address) of parents, full name(s) of child(ren), date(s) of birth of child(ren) (if possible), a brief summary of the status of the case, and the name and contact information for the orphanage, and the file and/or case number.

To bring an adopted child to United States from Haiti, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more here.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Haiti also has eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents. Learn more here.

More about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquakeHow To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Mary H.
Oklahoma, USA
January 18, 2010

Mary H. in Oklahoma writes:

I am not exactly finacialy stable but I have a 6yr old and he does just fine I know sincerly I would be able to care for another child I saw what happend on the news I would be so honerd if I could take a child that has lost everything and give it love and make it know that there not going to hurt anymore I cannot seem to conceive and I want to make a difference We probably dont have the qualifications but we are good parents and the child would learn great values and at this time any home that is willing to provide the right life for them should be givin a chance I already asap would like to adopt a child I just need you to say yes please consider us we are very good peole

Michele K.
Illinois, USA
January 18, 2010

Michele S. in Illinois writes:

Just load all those childen on a plane and bring them to Chicago - we can find homes for them - people who have room in their hearts and room in their homes for a few more.

Max H.
January 18, 2010

Max H. writes:

Please do whatever in your powers to get the preadopted children out of Haiti asap. I think all the orphans need to come to the u.s. We can provide for them over here

Debi
January 18, 2010

Debi in Washington writes:

Please, I am begging of our country of the World, to PLEASE get these children out of Haiti...Ask of me, what can I do? And I will!!! Please help get these children out of Haiti NOW!!!!!! I can not sleep at night, we must help!

Debi

Debi in Washington writes:

Our you listening to our pleas???? We will care for these children, we will promise to provide and care for them.Please just get them out of Haiti. Ask of us, we will come, we will help!!! I plead with our government to bring these children to the helping countries around the world, to the USA.

Karla M.
Connecticut, USA

Karla M. in Connecticut writes:

PLEASE, as an advocate for children....expedite the immediate evacuation and adoption of these children, any children.....paperwork is holding up bringing these innocents to safety.?...check the boxes later. Airlift as many as possible before they die.

Lisa Z.
Nebraska, USA

Lisa Z. in Nebraska writes:

Thank you for bringing home the children whose adoptions are finalized, but please make it possible for the other orphans at various stages of adoption to come home to their parents. Many of these children have already waited up to four years to have a place to call "home." Do not make them wait any longer. Grant humanitarian parole for all the orphans of Haiti immediately! Thank you for taking this seriously, the children will die needlessly if you don't take action asap.

Dawn W.
Canada

Dawn W. in Canada writes:

I am waiting and willing to adopt 1-3 haitian children. I am an approved fosterhome and have adopted already in canada!

Gloria R.
Nevada, USA

Gloria R. in Nevada writes:

would like to know how can I adopt a child from Haiti.

suzanne
Connecticut, USA

Suzanne writes:

I would like to help. if there is something i can do. please let me know.

aubrey s.
Nevada, USA

Aubrey C. S. in Nevada writes:

My husband and I would be willing to adopt children in need of homes after this tragedy. Is there any info on this?

Tony S.
Maryland, USA

Tony S. in Maryland writes:

Secretary Clinton, My family and i have faith in you that you will do what ever it takes to help the people of Haiti. Your a good woman and you have our support. We know you will do whats right. Thank you!

Josette E.
Georgia

Josette E. in Georgia writes:

Please let us have our little girl now, and many more if possible. We are good parents , we have good jobs, lots of love to share, and lots of rooms to accomodate those children. Please let the children come home so they can have a better future.

Arneice G.
Arizona, USA

Arneice G. in Arizona writes:

How can I adopt a child from hatti?

wondering w.

Wondering Why in Florida writes:

With all the concern for the children in the battered orphan homes, the lack of supplies and
help reaching those children, and the fact that near 100 American families have been approved and the adoptions finalized. There must be a way to get those kids out of that HELL HOLE. Oh, I forgot, when I called the State Department Monday, They were all enjoying MLK Day and the end of their LONG WEEKEND. Well, those kids there in Haiti, had a HELLUVA lot LONGER WEEKEND and one WITHOUT THE COMFORTS OF HOME!!! LET"S GET A MOVE ON!!!

Carmen R.
Connecticut, USA

Carmen L. R. in Connecticut writes:

I will like to help a child under this crisis that Haiti is facing. I do not have any adoption forms filled out,but my intention is to give a child the security ,comfort and help with the medical he or she might need at this time. If later requires for the child to remain under my custody that is fine as well.
all I ask is to allow me to be of some assistance to an innocent small human been. Who and where is the best place for me to go with this?
I thank you.

Carmen L. R.

clare
France

Clare in France writes:

Hi,

I would love very much to have information in the process of adopting a poor child from Hiati, especially more so since this dreadful catastrophe.

Andrew C.
Texas, USA

Andrew and Christine M. in Texas write:

Hello, and good day,

My wife and I are Foster Parents in Texas and have one lovely adopted daughter, Anna. Her sister is here with us under foster care and we are waiting to adopt her as well. God willing, we want to adopt 6 or 7 more children and the unfortunate homeless/familyless orphans in Haiti need loving families such as us. Please let us help them by directing my wife and I to the appropriate person(s) we can make room. Many Thanks. A. M.

Kori R.
Nebraska, USA

Kori R. in Nebraska writes:

Thank you so much for all your help getting the BRESMA orphans out of Haiti!

Tiffany H.
Indiana, USA

Tiffany H. in Indiana writes:

My husband and I would love to adopt a haitian orphan into our home! please, is there a number I can call to get started?

GARY C.

Gary C. in Florida writes:

im a US citizen .I would like to know i can do some adoption in haiti.please help me GOD calling my heart to do that.tnk you for more information

Todd G.
Tennessee, USA

Todd G. in Tennessee writes:

My wife and I are very interested in adoption of orphans from Haiti. In light of the recent tragedy, please advise as to the process and assitance that may be available for the expidited adoption of Hatian Children. Please email or call my mobile. I read about the Orphans that we coming into Pittsburgh, today. While they are here I am sure there are others that are in dire circumstance.

Regards and please advise,
Todd A. G.

Geraldine J.

Geraldine J.L. writes:

Please distribute the foods to the people in needs. Forget about the logistics. 95% of the houses in Haiti have no blueprints. I am an American Citizen. I am begging you to please distribute the foods. I located my 85 year-old father with his aid. He is injured and he is dehydrating due to a lack of foods. He is at Rue Lamarre, Impasse Mouzin next to Cine Capital. Please........Please

Donna L.
Canada

Donna L. in Canada writes:

My husband and I have three beautiful girls. We see all of these kids with no where to go and our hearts break. Please let us know how we could adopt a child from Haiti and how long would the process take? This is an emergency, please let us help a child in great need.

Erika W.

Erika W. in California writes:

We are interested in helping a child affected by the devastation in Haiti. How would we get on a list to qualify for fostering or adopting a child from Haiti? Is there a phone number or a website that I can go to get our name on a list?
Please contact me with any information.
Erika

Joan E.
Arizona, USA
January 20, 2010

Joan E. in Arizona writes:

My heart has been touched by all the video of the children needing help. I was wondering who I can contact to get the information to help care for a child during this devastating time. I have a good home and the necessities
to either care for temporarily or foster a child from Haiti. I understand that some of the families there who have lost everything just want to get their child in a safe place until the area is livable again. I would be open to doing that for one of the families. How do I start the process to get qualified??? I have donated money but I want to do more.

Thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

marth g.
Connecticut, USA
January 20, 2010

Marth M. G. in Connecticut writes:

IM A US CITIZEN I HAVE 2 NICES 1 NEPHEUX MY SISTER DEAD IN HAITI EARTHEQUAKE 01-12-2010 AND THEY HAVE NO BADY IM THE ONLY RELATIVE ALIVE I WOULD LIKE TO ADOPT THEM OR HAVE A VISA FOR THEM IM ASKING PLEASE HELP ME. FINACILAY I AM ABLE TO SUPPORT THEM.

Johnson
Massachusetts, USA
January 20, 2010

Johnson in Massachusetts writes:

We are interested in helping three children affected by the devastation in Haiti. How would we get on a list to qualify for fostering or adopting a child from Haiti? Is there a phone number or a website that I can go to get our name on a list?
Please contact me with any information.

Veronica
January 20, 2010

Veronica in Virginia writes:

Please expedite efforts to help evacuate the 150+ orphans at Maison des Enfants de Dieu Orphanage. Time is critical. Thank you.

Godspeed.

Bernadette P.
Haiti
January 20, 2010

Bernadette P. in Haiti writes:

I know a child that I would like to adopt a child called Therdee P. at carrefour. I want to know the process to rescue the child as soon as possible.