Haiti Earthquake and Intercountry Adoption

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
Child Sits Across From Collapsed National Palace in Port-au-Prince

Intercountry Adoptions: Haiti | Haiti Adoption Alert: January 15

We have received numerous inquiries from American citizens whose Haitian adoptions had already been completed by the Haitian Government. We understand the deep concern these prospective adoptive parents feel about the welfare of these children, and we are actively working to identify available options in light of the recent tragedy.

DHS’ U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs have already begun defining possible ways to expedite these pending cases. DHS is actively considering expedited Humanitarian Parole for pending adoption cases in which the Government of Haiti previously issued a final adoption decree or granted custody to U.S. citizen adoptive parents for the purpose or emigration and adoption in the United States. As soon as there is a plan in place, we will provide details.

As you know, the U.S. Embassy is focusing its efforts to assist U.S. citizens in Haiti directly affected by the crisis.

The State Department continues to make adoptions a priority and we are continuing to work on adoption cases.

U.S. citizens with pending adoption cases in Haiti are requested to contact the Department of State at askci@state.gov for information about their adoption case. In your inquiry, please include in the subject line, Haitian adoption Information. The inquiry should include the full name and contact information (including e-mail address) of parents, full name(s) of child(ren), date(s) of birth of child(ren) (if possible), a brief summary of the status of the case, and the name and contact information for the orphanage, and the file and/or case number.

To bring an adopted child to United States from Haiti, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more here.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Haiti also has eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents. Learn more here.

More about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquakeHow To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

Comments

Comments

Chuck S.
Minnesota, USA

Chuck S. in Minnesota writes:

Thanks for what you are doing to get the American citizens whose Haitian adoptions had already been completed by the Haitian Government out of Haiti. Keep giving this priority.

I'm sure there are a lot more orphans in Haiti and I bet there are a lot of Americans who would love to adopt them. Is there something you can do?

Lindsay C.

Lindsay C. writes:

Please!!! Senators and Congressmen, President of Haiti, allow the adopted children to come to their parents in the U.S.!!! There are so many that can be helped and saved from this tragedy and the people that love them are worried and feel helpless. PLEASE make the decision to save these kids and get them to safety!

Kristie H.
Ohio, USA

Kristie in Ohio writes:

I am writing to beg of your assistance in the recent tragedy from the earthquake. I have a cousin who is 2 years into the process of adopting a little girl from one of your orphanages there, in Port-au-Prince. I am asking for you to please grant permission for these children to be immediately evacuated to their adoptive families, here in the US and elsewhere. There is no reason to keep them there, in the looting and unsafe conditions, without water and food, when they have capable, loving families waiting for information, and for thei arrival. Please grant this permission. As soon as possible.

Marsha S.
Minnesota, USA

Marsha S. in Minnesota writes:

Our son and wife have been to Haiti twice to see their two children (siblings) they are in the process of adopting. They need to get those kids home ASAP! They have been waiting 2 years.....please let these kids come home.

Nicole L.
Ohio, USA

Nicole L. in Ohio writes:

Please help bring the innocent ones home. Plenty of people are trying to adopt these babies and now is the time to get them out of a disasterous situation and into loving safe homes.

Lisa K.
Wisconsin, USA

Lisa K. in Wisconsin writes:

Please get those children to their new families! The government of Haiti is in no position to try and stop this. They need our help!

Jenny W.
Minnesota, USA

Jenny W. in Minnesota writes:

My Aunt and Uncle have 2 waiting children in an orphanage in Port-au-Prince, Haiti that was on Fox News today, they had no drinkable water or formula for their babies. (For His Glory Outreach, Maison des Enfants de Dieu) We understand that the only thing standing in the way of evacuating those babies to the US is approval from the State department and the President of Haiti. Please, PLEASE will you approve these evacuations and humanitarian visas so these kids can get out of harms' way, and so they can begin to serve the many hundreds of new orphans that are likely to surface after this devastation?

Thank you for you time, please act NOW.
Jenny W.

Linda W.
Iowa, USA

Linda W. in Iowa writes:

I am adding my earnest plea to Jenny W.'s. Please act to evacuate these kids to their waiting families.

Rochelle B.
Minnesota, USA

Rochelle B. in Minnesota writes:

Thank you for all efforts of behalf of the adoptive children in Haiti and their parents in America!! Please do everything possible to bring these children out of the disaster immediately.

Jennifer E.
Minnesota, USA

Jennifer E. in Minnesota writes:

I'm appealing for action. I've received this info. from friends who are awaiting the final paperwork to go thru for their adoption of two children at an orphanage in Haiti. The creche where Philippe and Patricia are staying, Maison des Enfants de Dieu, was just featured on FoxNews.com Here are the gps coordinates if needed: orphanage coordinates: 72 deg 33’29.5”N 72 deg 18’08.76” W. I'm told the only thing they need to evacuate the children in the orphanage to the U.S. is approval from the State Department and the President of Haiti. Everything else in place to be able to evacuate - the only thing keeping our kids in Port-au-Prince is this permission. They have babies with diarrhea who will dehydrate quickly and we need to get the kids out. Please, I'm asking you, the State Department to get this approval as soon as possible. Thank you for listening!

Kristen

Kristen in California writes:

I am very relieved to hear that humanitarian parole is being persued for orphans with adoptions finalized in Haiti. HOWEVER, there are many more orphans in varying stages of the adoption process who need to be moved to safety. I hope that you will consider granting parole to all orphans who are in the process, not just those in the later stages. This children are vulnerable and need to be moved to safety!!

Chrystal D.

Chrystal D. in Virginia writes:

My husband and I would like to adopt and wish to be considered in emergency efforts to relieve children from crisis. Please contact me ASAP.

Judith G.
Minnesota, USA

Judith G. in Minnesota writes:

Please bring the adoptive Haiti children matched with USA parents home!!!!!

Sarah T.
Canada

Sarah T. in Canada writes:

I'm just wondering how you'd go about in adopting a child from Hatti in Canada. I know there are so many in need and that it's so hard to deal with this devastating event. Can you please contact me. Thank You!

DENISE

Denise writes:

i want to Adoption child, let me no what i have to do thank you

Juliann K.
Minnesota, USA
January 19, 2010

Juliann K. in Minnesota writes:

Please move quickly! My friends here in MN have two children they were adopting from the Children of God orphanage. At last report on Sunday the 17th they were still without water and no contact from UN or any other relief agency.

Amanda T.
Ohio, USA

Amanda T. in Ohio writes:

My husband and I would love to adopt a child from Haiti. We are prepared to take whatever steps are necessary. Please inform us of how we can help. Thank You.

Joseph D.
New Jersey, USA

Joseph D. in New Jersey writes:

Can Haitian Americans support their affected loveones by the earthquake to come to the US for treatment and help? If yes, how to do that?

Kevin D.

Kevin D. in Florida writes:

What a perfectly good time to call on Cuba to step up and help the United States bring a humanitarian effort to Haiti. By providing a supply point between here and the United States. We could set up MASH teams to care for the critically injured closer to Haiti. Have a fueling Point for planes and ships of all countries. Maybe we our to countries can work together on this? I think our Sec. of State and the State Department should consider this.

Kathi S.
Indiana, USA

Kathi S. in Indiana writes:

I am a healthy 50 year old with a good job. God has placed it on my heart during the last 2 years to look into adoption. With the earthquake in Haiti and so many children in need of a great parent and home I want to help. I am a single parent with my youngest at Purdue. Paying all of the enormous fees to help children without parents is not right. I saw $670.00 just to fill out paperwork. That is one form. Tell me where to go to help a child that I won't pay money for but my time, energy and most of all love?????????????????

Shannon
Canada

Shannon in Canada writes:

My husband and I would like to adopt and wish to be considered in emergency efforts to relieve children from crisis. Please give the children a chance, get them out of Haiti ....I am sure their are many people around the world that would take these children in as their own. I beg you to help these children, they have suffered enough, lets think of the children and whats best for them..............

Patricia N.
Wisconsin, USA

Patricia N. in Wisconsin writes:

How hard can it be to simply say "Okay, this is the right thing to do. Get these children to their new homes since they have NO home" It's totally uncalled for that so many people want to adopt & the cost and permission makes it un-attainable. Mrs. Clinton should take on this adoption nightmare. She would go down in history if she would eliminate these barriers & help the "village" who want to help. She has the power unfortunately, not the "village" that put her where she is...I wish this w/b a priority for her.

Tishri C.

Tishri C. writes:

Our son is at God's Littlest Angel's orphanage in Haiti and we heard that President Preval has signed to allow the children to come to the USA to their American families. Please let these children come home.

Natalie S.
Minnesota, USA

Natalie S. in Minnesota writes:

I am a great aunt of a child in Haiti that my neice & her husband are awaiting to bring home through their adoption. They heard Jan. 4 that their process was almost complete...just waiting for VISA & Passport approval for their son.

PLEASE BRING ALL THESE CHILDREN HOME SOON!!!!

Kori R.
Nebraska, USA

Kori R. in Nebraska writes:

Thank you for bringing home the children whose adoptions are finalized, but please make it possible for the other orphans at various stages of adoption to come home to their parents. Many of these children have already waited up to four years to have a place to call "home." Do not make them wait any longer. Grant humanitarian parole for all the orphans of Haiti immediately!

trudy e.
Nebraska, USA

Trudy E. in Nebraska writes:

Officials, please do everything as quickly as possible to help all children out of Haiti. The 'Cry of the Orphans' has to be heard by the USA...they have no one to speak for them.

Get those with US parents home and help those that need protected. Orphans are not safe in Haiti, food and water is scarce, security is scarce. Press for the children to be granted hunamitarian parol visas immediately!!!

val
Iowa, USA

Val in Iowa writes:

Fox news just reported Dutch is sending a plane to pick up children no reason to let them suffer. Most of these people have all their paperwork and are far into adoption and many others would take children after proper paper work here in states where they have help? Why the hold up? There should be no red tape on something so simple, the US does not let children any children suffer period.

Kathleen O.

Kathleen O. in New York writes:

Our dear friends are in the last stages of adoption from For His Glory, Maison des Enfants in Haiti. It has taken years of red-tape. They have been looted and are desperate. Please, please get these kids out to their US families!

Cecilia C.
Indiana, USA

Cecilia C. in Indiana writes:

Please removed the red tape and bring these children home to U.S. where there parents are waiting. U.S. is better than this don't let these children die beause someone won't step up and do the right thing.

Amanda
Pennsylvania, USA

Amanda in Pennsylvania writes:

Please, grant these children their visas so they can go to their home in the U.S. My sister in law and family have waited long enough for the adoption to be completed. The grant would be a long awaited answer to prayer! Please let their daughter come home.