In Memory of Victoria DeLong

January 15, 2010
Foreign Service Officer Victoria DeLong With State Department in Background

Statement by Secretary ClintonAbout the Author: Arturo A. Valenzuela serves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

Victoria DeLong, our Cultural Affairs Officer stationed at the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince, died inside her home when the 7.0 magnitude earthquake hit on Tuesday. DeLong had served in Haiti, one of the most challenging environments in the world, since February 2009. She was highly regarded, not only by the Department of State, but also by the many youth exchange participants, scholars, professionals, journalists, community leaders, and ordinary people she befriended throughout the world. The Department of State salutes her dedication, compassion, courage, and successes in promoting educational and cultural exchange between the people of Haiti and the people of the United States.

Since 1983, Victoria DeLong served her country in diplomatic posts around the world, from the Democratic Republic of the Congo to Germany. She had a genuine enthusiasm for her work and was loved by all her colleagues. Her commitment and devotion to our mission at the Department of State will not be forgotten. Her memory will live on through her work and through the numerous lives that she has touched.

We have received an outpouring of support as people extend their condolences and express their appreciation of Victoria DeLong since the announcement of her death on the U.S. Embassy in Port-au-Prince’s Facebook page.

We welcome your comments and memories of her in the space provided here.

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

Mehari T.
Senegal
January 27, 2010

Mehari T. in Senegal writes:

My condolences to the family and colleagues of Victoria. She was one of our Mission's staff in Kinshasa, DRC. Great person to work with and she will be missed a lot.

Ruth K.
January 27, 2010

Ruth K. in Washington, DC writes:

Great admiration for a colleague who gave her all to bringing the best of the U.S. to peoples around the world and who showed the compassionate, engaged, and creative face of the U.S. to those whom she touched.

Sue M.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 27, 2010

Sue M. in Pennsylvania writes:

I was shocked and devastated at the news of Victoria DeLong's passing. I worked with her in the Ambassador's office in Bonn, Germany. I remember her as very dedicated to her country and her profession. She had a enormous zest for life. Victoria will be greatly missed by many. May her family and friends find comfort and support from each other and these messages as they endure this loss. My prayers go out to all of them.

Brenda.
January 27, 2010

Brenda writes:

I worked with Victoria in the Press Office in Washington. Recently, I had the opportunity to contact her after several years. She told me, "I am here in Port-au-Prince, Haiti as the Cultural Affairs Officer. It’s a fun job, lots of work and little free time, with many challenges. I love it here." It is comforting to know that Victoria found her true calling.

Nazima R.
January 29, 2010

Nazima R. writes:

Extending our deepest condolences - Our thoughts and prayers are with Ms. DeLong's family.

Rod M.
January 29, 2010

Rod M. in Washington, DC writes:

On behalf of myself and many others who did not have the opportunity to know Victoria but grieve her passing in service to our country and the nation to which she was assigned, contributions in Ms. DeLong's name have been made to the Little Flower/Rosa Mina orphanage identified and to Doctors Without Borders. Our prayers are with her family.

Abdel A.
Haiti
January 30, 2010

Abdel A. in Haiti writes:

As a Fulbright Scholar from Haiti, I had the opportunity to know Ms. Victoria. I will never forget her involvement in Capacity Building for Haiti. Please extend my deepest condolences to her family and friends. My prayers are with her.

Jenifer
Iraq
January 31, 2010

Jenifer in Iraq writes:

I did not know Victoria, but truly appreciate her sacrifice in pursuit of our profession. My heartfelt sympathies go out to her friends and family.

Kristin K.
February 6, 2010

Kristin K. in Washington, DC writes:

I had the honor of taking some courses with Victoria and serving in the same position in nearby countries -- she in Mauritius while I was in Mozambique. I admired her kindness and professonalism and believe that she was a model foreign service public diplomacy officer. May she rest in peace.

Pat P.
March 18, 2010

Pat P. writes:

I was just trying to find her new address when a colleague emailed me to tell me what had happened in Haiti. She was a dear friend who brightened my life and that of those she knew. One of our brightest lights has moved on. We will never forget her.

Linda V.
Australia
March 20, 2010

Linda V. in Australia writes:

I worked in the Australian High Commission in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea and Victoria worked in the US Embassy. We both arrived in country a few weeks apart and we became firm friends during our time there. I haven't been in touch with her for a long time but, for some reason, she has been on my mind recently so I decided to google her and look what I've found. She was a great friend to me and I'm very sorry to see that she has passed before we've had a chance to reconnect. Please pass on my condolences to her family (if possible). Thanks.

Lucy
Indonesia
April 13, 2010

Lucy in Indonesia writes:

May she rest in peace, God blesses the perish. Our thoughts and prayers to her family. regards lucy