Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

Brandon A.
Texas, USA
January 25, 2010

Brandon A. in Texas writes:

I am a 23 year old college graduate. My degree is in Business Management. I don't have any medical experience but I'm a hard work, fast learner, great communication skills and a self starter. If anyone knows of a group or organization that would pay for travel/expenses or how I can volunteer my time in Haiti please let me know!

michelle
Tennessee, USA
January 25, 2010

Michelle in Tennessee writes:

I ALREADY HAVE MY PASS PORT AND AM WILLING AND READY TO TRAVEL TO HATTIE AND VOLLENTEER IN ANY AREA NEEDED.I AM A 38 YEAR OLD HOUSEWIFE WHO WANTS TO HELP.

Emily R.
Georgia
January 26, 2010

Emily R. in Georgia writes:

I think that eeryone should take part in trying to help haiti's community.
I am ony14 but i have been heartbroken by the thing i hae seen ontv.

Claire
January 29, 2010

Claire in California writes:

Hello, the earth club at my school wants to have a fundraiser where we make care packages and send them to help Haiti victims. Where do we send them to? Thank you.

Claire J.

REV. T.
February 1, 2010

Rev. Josue T. in Florida writes:

I AM A HAITIAN PASTOR IN FORT-LAUDERDALE FLA. AND I HAVE A SKILL IN COUNSELLING SO I WOULD LIKE TO HELP WITH THE TROMATISED PEOPLE. IF ANY ONE KNOW HOW I CAN HELP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANK YOU GOD BLESS YOU.

Nancy
Massachusetts, USA
February 2, 2010

Nancy in Massachusetts writes:

Would you be willing to accept non-perishable food and toiletry items and or student supplies (note books, pencils, papers, etc) for an upcoming delivery to Haitian earthquake survivors? Students at the Hadley Elementary School are willing to collect needed items.

If you are willing, could the donated items be collected from the school? Or if there is someone willing to bring our donations to Haiti, we could try and get to you.

James S.
South Carolina, USA
February 4, 2010

James S. in South Carolina writes:

Would like to help in clean-up and re-construction efforts. Currently Co-Owner/Operator of Construcion & Remodeling Company. Please advise of contacts...

robert j.
Georgia
February 12, 2010

Robert in Georgia writes:

Ret. C.S.M. U.S. Army. I want to help.

Jennifer W.
February 12, 2010

Jennifer in Florida writes:

Dear the people in Haiti: Me & my family feel so bad for what happened to you guys in Haiti & we want to help you guys alot so please e-mail me as soon as you guys can.

Lafortune V.
Georgia
April 1, 2010

Lafortune V. in Georgia writes:

I am 60 y.old. I am an LPN & unemployed. My wife and I both have started our adult life working at 2 american hospitals in Haiti in the 70's-80's. We are both U.S. citizen. We would like to open a Health clinic in Haiti(in the country side, not to far from Deschapelles, where the Albert Schweitzer hospital is located.

We need some sponsors & support. Please help !

JV U.
May 17, 2010

J.V.M.U. writes:

Quite possible the best info I've read in while. So many people just blab on about things they no absolutely nothing about.

Julie j.
May 29, 2010

Julie J. in Florida writes:

Hello, I have a 15 year old son who is begining to plan for his Eagle scout project. He wants to design this project around helping the people of Hati. He wants to go to Hati to help, work and make a difference. I completly support him and have agreed to go wth him. My question, for those who have been their recently or perhaps are just more abrest of the current state of things in Hati, is this: What would be the most helpful for my son and I ( and possibly a group of folks), to focus on at this point? For example, my son expressed a desire to help build homes, I suggested possibly a specific group( children, the elderly, animals etc..) may be in greater need at this point. We are asking for and open to suggestions or ideas. Thank you, Alex and Julie