Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

jess
Pennsylvania, USA
January 17, 2010

Jess in Pennsylvania writes:

Okay so I am 14 and after church today my dad brought up that we should think about adopting a child from Haiti. I said I really want to do it and he said that would be less for us as in like less money to go around but I don’t care I think we should help a child that needs food and a home. SO if anyone has any information on how to get information about this please email me

Gods world
your hands

Vipul G.
India
January 19, 2010

Vipul G. in India writes:

Hi,
We are group of experienced civil engineers. We have served for earthquake affected people in Bhachau, India in 2000.

Immidiate relief work has started and guys are putting their best to help people of Haiti. As the entire infrastructure of Haiti has collepsed, we would be very much thankful to the organization/organizations to whom we can associate with.

May god bless Haiti.

jackie l.
January 18, 2010

Jackie Lynn C. writes:

I am an L.P.N. nurse. My knowledge in the medical field is wide ranged.I am ready at a moments notice to leave to help in Haiti. I have a valid passport.Please help me and all nurses to get to Haiti to volunteer.WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?????

Peter H.
Washington, USA
January 18, 2010

Peter H. in Washington writes:

I am a teacher in the Seattle School District who is helping to organize our schools around service learning and sustainability issues and I would love to help organize long term school to school aid projects with Haitian communities to assist with education and community development. Who should I contact on that end to help organzize soemthing like this?

nw
January 19, 2010

NW in California writes:

Please direct your efforts to gov't officials and politicians that can get this done.

urgent need food drops n sanitation for Haiti

Urgent: re Haiti Please read and act on info at
excerpt: use cargo planes to drop food and water all over the areas where people are abandoned so that thousands will not die waiting for the standard relief trucks. done in the past by the U.S. military. Otherwise, thousands of lives will be lost in Haiti. Professor Richard Muller of UC Berkeley suggests it’s more productive to contact anyone you know who may know officials or political leaders in Washington than flood the comment lines at the White House

sanitation important

Also see shelter boxes at rotary international for future emergency planning for this country and others

Toby
United Kingdom
January 19, 2010

Toby in United Kingdom writes:

How does my contribution help?

Why do organisations have to buy food and supplies if it is for a disaster why can't the contibuting countries provide everything free?

AJackson
Pennsylvania, USA
January 19, 2010

AJackson in Pennsylvania writes:

web site to donate shoes is Shoes2Share.com or 6abc.com for further information

AJackson
Pennsylvania, USA
January 19, 2010

AJackson in Pennsylvania writes:

Want to help victims of Haiti try website (hpphilly.org)

Carmela S.
New Jersey, USA
January 19, 2010

Carmela R.S. in New Jersey writes:

I would like to know if I can adopt a little girl from Haiti, ages 1, 2, 3, or 6. What document do I need to have? Or if these children have siblings I would like to adopt them too. Iãm full of love to give them a better life and education.

ashley j.
January 19, 2010

Ashley and Jessica in Washington write:

how can we help haiti at our local schools?

jean j.
Tennessee, USA
January 19, 2010

Jean J. in Tennessee writes:

I feel really bad about what happened. Plus it was a day after my b-day!! i am donating 100 dollars to haiti. plus i will try to raise money for them. i'm the president of my school and thought that would be a good thing to do.i go to Elementary. i want to do more but feel like i couldn't do anything cause i am only 11. Anyway bless everyone in haiti and say it is from Jean J. thank you . bye.

clayton w.
January 20, 2010

Clayton W. in Florida writes:

my name is clayotn im 20!i work counstruction and i want to go help the people that has lost every thing!
i love helping out outher people i just need to get over there if you need help please contact me!
thank you!

Edward S.
January 20, 2010

Edward S. writes:

I am CEO of a nationwide security services company. We have received requests from several news organizations, relief angencies, etc. to provide armed security for their personnel in Haiti. I am seeking information regarding required authorizations (from US, Haitian and or International agencies) that would be required to send armed security officers (all US Licensed officers), to provide such security. Any direction would be welcomed.

jonathan a.
January 20, 2010

Jonathan A. in Washington writes:

salutation
my name is Jonathan A. been serving in the us army has a infantryman for the past 4 years I was born in the us virgin islands and grew up in the French Caribbean’s I am a fluent speaker in French and Creole and max out my dlept test I am looking too volunteer for the aid relief in Haiti

Ray C.
Texas, USA
January 20, 2010

Ray C. in Texas writes:

I do not have a passport or a paying job right now but would gladly go with volunteer organization under U.S. Gov't. direction to help in any way I can. I am old but strong with nothing keeping me here doing nothing.
If I can do this fast as a US citizen under our government direction without a passport. I am in.

Seriously,
Ray

Diana D.
Texas, USA
January 20, 2010

Diana D. in Texas writes:

How can my school contribute to help Haiti?

Annonymous
January 21, 2010

Anonymous writes:

I want to help!

Lashauana T.
Montserrat
January 21, 2010

Lashauana T. writes:

I'm living in montserrat and i'm a first aid in the redcross and i want to come and help in haiti, i think thats the best thing i can do after all what god have given to me...........

Wayne W.
Colorado, USA
January 21, 2010

Wayne W. in Colorado writes:

im in the national guard. I helped with Hurricane Catrina and would now like to help with the relief in haiti. i don't have a passport but would really like to go. How can i go about doing this? I would desperatly like to go. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

samuel h.
Michigan, USA
January 21, 2010

Samuel H. in Michigan writes:

My name is sam i,m 25 and jobless and have no passport and little money but i feel that it is a responsability of all men to help another myself and a few of my friends are willing to go and do any thing needed to help we are all hard working younger men but who do we contact

conteh m.
Nigeria
January 21, 2010

Conteh S. M. in Nigeria writes:

i am a born sierra Leonean staying in nigeria.i am aware of what is happening in haiti and will want to be a volunteer.Am working presently but can afford to take my annual leave for this purpose.please can someone help me achieve this.

Gerald R.
Haiti
January 21, 2010

Gerald G. R. writes:

Hi All!

Sorry for what has happened to Haitias. Most of us would like to provide some helps, the most thing I could do for our fellows is prayers, let them get God'd confort that goes beyond everything,

Gerald G. H

Mark M.
Texas, USA
January 21, 2010

Mark M. in Texas writes:

We have production slots to accomodate manufacturing ISO shipping containers in to bunk houses, offices, toilet and shower units.

Ruhee A.
Iowa, USA
January 22, 2010

My name is Ruhee A., I have just graduated from the University of Iowa with a BA in business management. With the economy being difficult to get a job, and my dream being in helping people, i wanted to combine my dream my degree into one and see how I can help people. I would love to get Americorps experience, and later on do my master in education. I have a passion and a drive to work with people. Please let me know when and how I can help and I would love to.

Felipe C.
Brazil
January 22, 2010

Felipe C. in Brazil writes:

Hi Im currently in Brazil right now, but im about to finish my MBA in wash, DC. Is there any way i can help by going in Haiti? I have no expertise in any medical area by i think i can help by going there. If anyone has any info about any group would be able to give me something to do over there please let me know......
thank you.

Pierre b.
January 22, 2010

Pierre B. in Florida writes:

As a US citizen , how I can sponsor a homeless family in Haiti disaster to come to my house on temporary basis? I will will pay for evverything.

Araceli J.
February 1, 2010

Araceli J. in California writes:

Hello Im Araceli J. and I am a Senior in Long Beach ca. Now a days many young folks like to go to clubs or parties and My friends and I were thinking of having a Party that people can attend to and they will be charged a certain amount of money at the entrance or they can bring some kind of donation and this will go to the people in haiti. We really want to help them out but were not sure how to do it or who to get help from. if you'd like to help us in a way contact me

Patsy
Mississippi, USA
January 25, 2010

Patsy in Mississippi writes:

WE WOULD LIKE INFORMATION ON HOW WE CAN OPEN OUR HOME TO ADOPT A CHILD(REN) FROM HAITI.

Kathryn
Wisconsin, USA
January 25, 2010

Kathryn in Wisconsin writes:

LPN with over 20 years broad medical experience available to go to Haiti. License active and in good standing in Wisconsin. In excellent physical health. Who do I contact to go? I have noted RNs going to Haiti from California, but no LPN groups. This is going to be a long drawn out effort in Haiti with many LPNs on the internet volunteering to go.
Should we start one for the LPNs?

Stacy
Canada
January 25, 2010

Stacy in Canada writes:

We are a family in Ontario, Canada looking to help in anyway. Who do we contact to either go to Haiti to help with children, or have children come and stay with us temporarily?