Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

Maysara M.
Syria
January 15, 2010

Maysara M. in Syria writes:

i guess first we have to pray to all ppl who died in Haiti and all the ppl who was working in Med and first aid and firefighting ,,,,,,and also we have to try to help them as will like the Dr`s and the survival team like me as will and who have lot Money and i mean it the Rich ppl who spend lot of Money on his life must try to pick up little bit and send it to those ppl......am not gonna talk more about it But ppl we have to Move

Shawn G.
January 15, 2010

Shawn G. in Virginia writes:

I am 34 yrs old and am a plumber also.I would like to help Haiti with the rebuilding in my field or anyway that I can.If its possible just let me know by email what I can do to help.Thanks and god bless Haiti

Marisela
January 15, 2010

Marisela in Florida writes:

My school is trying to find a way for us to donate food but we are also willing to give other things but we dont know what other things they might need most if you can please tell me im sure my schoool will do its best to leand a hand thx you and god bless Haiti

laureen n.
Arizona, USA
January 15, 2010

Laureen N. in Arizona writes:

I'm 53, an experienced RN, fluent in french & english. My heart goes out to the victims and families in Hait. I would like to help in Haiti please contact me if needed. Arizona.

Laureen R.
Arizona, USA
January 15, 2010

Laureen N. in Arizona writes:

My heart goes out to the victims & families affected by the earthquake in Haiti. I'm 53, an experienced American RN, valid passport, fluent in French & English. I want to help in Haiti if needed. Where do I go to find out if I can help?

linda
January 15, 2010

Linda in Florida writes:

hi my name is linda. i'm married. i have a major in criminal justice, currently a medical assitance and a nurse assistance. there was a 15 day old baby that was being treated by dr. sanjay. i would like to get more info on her. i would love to adopt like yesterday. please contact me. the baby will have a wonderful home to live in and will be well taken care of...please i am very interested.. i am a haitian american...

Rod
Ohio, USA
January 15, 2010

Rod in Ohio writes:

God bless all of you who are responding to this horrible event.

I am a licensed journeyman plumber who has always taken pride in protecting the health of MY nation. I understand getting these people medical attention, food, water and clothing is important but the immediate short term goal should be to establish proper sanitation. I would love to assist in the rebuilding of the infrastructure of this area but have no idea of who to contact. I have a valid passport and can get away from my job if needed.....

jhacson
January 15, 2010

J. Hacson in Florida writes:

im hiatian born and raise ontil 16&17; i come to the u.s im a construction worker i have my own stucco bussiness if not that i could translated if you could use me please e-mail me

victor g.
Arizona, USA
January 19, 2010

Victor G. in Arizona writes:

I am willing to go to Haiti to help however i can.Whom should i contact regarding volunteering.

michael p.
Illinois, USA
January 16, 2010

Michael P. in Illinois writes:

While I'm deeply concerned for the many Haitian's in Haiti and on our soil, I feel the greatest effort we can offer those affected is to setup work groups for men and youths that are able to work. With the many American's out of work we have a skilled base that has no equal. From skilled labors to machine operators and those between the two, lets help them work their way into a bright future. The question is how can the goverment assist us in doing this? I have several idea's how this can be done if you are truly interested.

ROSALBA F.
Texas, USA
January 19, 2010

Rosalba F. in Texas writes:

I' WOLD HELP CHILDREN FROM HAITI, my best way to help bring 2 children for takecare custody if your have question please e-mail god bleess america, ROSY

Mark G.
Canada
January 19, 2010

Mark G. writes:

I have no money to give but I am willing to go to Haiti to offer my labour as well as my son...Tell me how to help and I will. It breaks my heart to see the people suffer I want to help please get me there.

claude g.
Texas, USA

Claude G. in Texas writes:

i am a equip oper. 30 years exp. i could help dig please let people know how or if we can go help

R M.
January 16, 2010

R. Marotta in Florida writes:

Distibution of aid and support that has already arrived appears to be waiting for delivery in Haiti.

Shouldn't leaders in charge of distributing aid to Haitians consider setting up meals and water at the location of the supplies? This would remove the need to confront problems associated with relocating those supplies. (Vehicles, fuel, impassable roads, etc.) If I remember correctly from several visits there, the airport is located within walking distance of the city for those that are able. This would permit first responders to administer aid to victims, without the need to deal with able people in the center of all the destruction.

Temporary shelter and facilities construction could begin there, employing those that are able, allowing cleanup and long-term construction to ensue downtown.

gretta p.

Gretta P. in New York writes:

i am looking to volunteer.I speak, read and write french and creole. iam a license practical nurse with 12 yrs hospital experience.

Bonnie H.
January 16, 2010

Bonnie H. in California writes:

Like the other 95 people who have shared their thoughts on this website, I would like to offer my assistance in Haiti but do not know how to go about doing that. Is someone monitoring this website blog, I hope?? I have the time and funds to go to Haiti for a month or so to help with the rescue and recovery effort. I can also open my home to some displaced Haitians, if that would help. Please let me and the others know how we can help. Hurry, please...time's a wasting!

Luke F.
January 16, 2010

DipNote Bloggers writes:

@ Bonnie H. in California -- Thank you for your comment and offer of assistance. We encourage anyone interested in offering assistance to contact the Center for International Disaster Information at 703-276-1914.

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquake

Victoria P.
Idaho, USA

Victoria P. in Idaho writes:

Help the Children of Haiti

I have a son we adopted at birth. He is the joy of our life. It was only thru the his selfless mother and Gpd's goodness that we are so blessed. In this most devstating time, there are so many children, teens, babies in need of the security a home with loving families would provide. If there are children who have been lost their families to the quake, please consider how many people in the US would take and love these children. All we have to do is make it simple. Make it simple for the children to have hope and a home. I would take a child, teen, baby. I know so many people who would. God does not care about legalities and money. He cares about lives and hearts. Let's be a reflection of his love and free these children who have been left with no family, no home, no hope and give life. What is the alternative? Contact me to organize Hope for the Children of Haiti. Together we can make life good again for one child at a time.

Joy M.
Connecticut, USA

Joy M. in Connecticut writes:

Jesus wepted...

May God help them

Secco M.
Argentina

Secco M. in Argentina writes:

I offer myself as a pilot to flight into Haiti whithout salary expect.

I am a 25 Argentinian commercial pilot, rated multi engines, ifr. I have been flying a piper navajo chieftain for airtaxi operations.

If you need my help , just contact my email.

Native Y.

N.N.Y. in New York writes:

I am a volunteer health educator. I speak Haitian/Creole fluently! I would love to volunteer. Haiti needs more volunteers as well as donations. Port-au Prince has a population of over 2 million people. Please contact me and let's get MORE people out there!

Terry H.
Georgia, USA

Terry June H. in Georgia writes:

I was in corporate for 25 years and have been out of a job and receiving unemployment for over a year. I have the time, money and passport (along with references)to travel to Haiti and help. I am an energetic, worldly female that takes direction well with a fitness, nursing (did not graduate due to corporate offer but worked in hospital) and work with the challenged at the Georgia Retardation Center background and ready to go. I am available whenever the time is right to send help. Thank you for your consideration.

Don W.
Oregon, USA

Don W. in Oregon writes:

Civil, structural and sanitation engineer experienced working in underdeveloped countries. Conversational french. Have passport and ready to travel. Please let me know if anyone can use my skills to assist with Haiti relief.

Jessica G.
New Jersey, USA

Jessica G. in New Jersey writes:

I would be move then willing to fly to Haiti with a group to help however I can. If I could fly out like today with a group I would be gone and on my way. I am 25 year old mother wife and business women. I have no rescue experience but can aid with loving the children and helping care for them.

Roger H.
United Kingdom

Roger H. in the United Kingdom writes:

Could you please put me in touch with the relevant agency whom take on or offer positions to plumbers offering their services free of charge in the recovery following the disaster in Haiti

Betty J.
Alabama, USA

Betty G. in Alabama writes:

I dont have cash monet to send but do have all kind of nice clothing that i would love to give ,how do i go about doing so?

Eugenia

Eugenia in Virginia writes:

I have a Master's Degree in Social Work, experiencing in Child Welfare, Mental Health, Case Manager, counseling, Community Development and Vocational Rehabilitation Services. I speak French, Creole and English. I would love to be considered for an opportunity to go to Haiti (my country)to help the victims cope in order to move forward. Most likely, the victims will experience Post traumatic stress.I can leave ASAP. My contact is cell. If you know of any such opportunity with the military of Federal Government, please inform. Thanks

Robin
North Carolina, USA

Robin in North Carolina writes:

To everyone who is posting on here (nurses and otherwise) that you want to go to Haiti to help -- follow the links provided -- there is a page where you enter all of your info and credentials. I am also a nurse and want to go and help and luckily, found this website.

Good luck, and God bless everyone who is so willing to help!

Luke F.

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ DipNote readers -- Thank you for your offers of support and interest in providing assistance to Haiti. We are currently receiving a high volume of comments and are responding to messages as soon as possible. If you require assistance in locating a loved one in Haiti, please call 888-407-4747 or email: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information. You may call the Center at 703-276-1914.

You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. So far, one million plus people have donated over $17 million in the largest mobile donation campaign to date.

Here are more ways you can find information about helping Haiti: Center for International Disaster Information | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

More about the crisis and how to help: www.state.gov/haitiquake

Bill J.
Montana, USA

Bill J. in Montana writes:

I am 56 years old and have been watching the news about Haiti..Something inside told me to go there and help. If the right people see this please call me.