Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

Alan D.
Oregon, USA

Alan D. in Oregon writes:

Hello,
I am a telecommunications analyst for a large hospital system and was wondering if there is help needed to restore communications in Haiti. I also have training in patient care in ortho and emergency medicine. Alan D.

Peter L.
Ohio, USA

Peter L. in Ohio writes:

I would like to offer to house/shelter/support a displaced family of four for as long as it takes. My wife and three children have room in our third floor which would be suitable for a family of four. The community has a great school system that would welcome any refugees ( I assume many will become displace)

Feiruz G.
Hawaii, USA

Feiruz G. in Hawaii writes:

I understand that right now that things are very confusing and having a lot of people converge on Haiti at once,how that would just make the situation worst. I am willing to say send me! Once things become clear just what kind of workers will be needed. I've given a year as a AmeraCorp Vista and I can't think of a better way to give another year of service then to help in Haiti. My experience is in Menthal health, medical, and most importantly in being able to roll up my sleeves and get in the trenches and work,helping to rebuild communities and peoples lives.In the mean time i will send what I can and raise what I can send. Thank You
Out of work but not out of time
May ou Be Blessed By God

Jahshana B.
Illinois, USA

Jahshana B. in Illinois writes:

We have emergence 911 Tool Cribbs / Mobile Crew Units builted for Natural Diaster Relief and Construction Unit to Rebuild and Repair Communities and Cities as well as Mobile Medical Hospitals that's needed to be delivered to Haiti people for relief to the Hatian People. Your rapid response is Requested. Thank You.

Joerel B.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 14, 2010

Joerel B. in Pennsylvania writes:

I would like to go there to help. I am available and I am haitian american citizen. I am very sad for my people.

Javier M.
January 14, 2010

Javier M. in New York writes:

My friend lost his dad and his two sister in this terrible earthquake. Our co-workers aswell as me from PLS Check casher gave him a donation to help him. Im very upset and I want to do something for the people of Haiti.

Rosite M.
Illinois, USA

Rosite M. in Illinois writes:

I am a nurse and I am a Haitian. I would like to volunteer to go to Haiti but I dont know whom to contact. Please send me an Email for any imformation

Derricka R.

Derricka R. in California writes:

Hello, my name is Derricka R.. I am a mother of two my son is 11 and my daughter is 10. I have worked for Kaiser Permanente for 10 years. I obtained my Bachelor's Degree in June 2009 and I am currently enrolled in a Master's program attaining my degree in Business Administration. I saw a broadcast on KCAL channel 9 about the Haitian disaster. The story included a physician who was stabalizing a 15 day old baby girls head and her mother unfortunately has died. If she needs a loving home I would love to adopt her. Please contact me if this is possible. I will then feel like I have contributed to the assistance in Haiti

Jocelyne M.
Massachusetts, USA

Jocelyne M. in Massachusetts writes:

Haitien born
US Citizen with a valid passport
fluent in Creole
Certified Family with experienced and skilled Nurse Practitioner
Want to travel in this time crisis and give amy medical assistance. Please contact
Jocelyne
Boston

jocelyne M.
Massachusetts, USA

Jocelyne M. in Massachusetts writes:

Certified Family Nurse Practitioner with experienced and skilled ready to travel to Haiti and help
Please give me chance to help my people in collaboration with your wonderful team.
Jocelyne

Hxj
China

Hxj in China writes:

Today some people can watch a “ring of fire”--That's a name for the central view of an annular eclipse of the Sun by the Moon。
I just saw a be approximate annular solar eclipse's partial solar eclipse。
Wall Street's moneymen have taught us don't waste love、time、money、food、water、energy and everything。

Rev L.
Pennsylvania, USA

Debra L. in Pennsylvania writes:

Our church would like to donate clothing to the people of Haiti. Where can we take the clothing, in PA, to donate?

Nancy D.

Nancy D. in New York writes:

I would like to donate my time for Haiti, but I do not know where or who to call. I am off frommy jobfor up to two weeks and i would like to help the wolrd help my dear country.
Can somebody help me, please.
Thanks, Nancy

MIKERLINE L.

Mikerline L. writes:

i have my whole family i'am willing to go there help my family please let me know i will be glad to volunteers to go the there and help i worked in a hospital it will be a good help

R W.
Massachusetts, USA

R.W. in Massachusetts writes:

I am proud my government is coordinating efforts in this country but wouldn't it be eventually more helpful if we take the lead or suggest there be a lead on coordinating all relief efforts since "We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality..."(MLK) Bottlenecks are growing exponentially with time and increased suffering opens a barely closed door to lawlessness. Lawlessness will decrease giving and increase suffering. Evil is waiting for the good and good hearted to dither. Thank you.

CAROL T.
Connecticut, USA

Carol in Connecticut writes:

I AM DYING TO GO TO HAITI TO HELP. I AM HAITIAN AND AN ICU AND ER NURSE. PLEASE HELP ME.

lorena m.
Texas, USA

Lorena M. in Texas writes:

I would like to donate clothes, shoes, food, but I do not know where to go. If somebody can let me know @ a center in Houston I will apreciate. The World Is with your need HAITI. GOD is with you.

Rosemarie C.
Canada

Rosemarie C. in Canada writes:

Aid, food and water waiting to be distributed. Is it possible to have many containers such as:
- non perishable foods container ship
-water container ship
-ship with fuel and
-landing ship
-helicopters
and hospital container ships sent to Haiti?...
Have the helicopters land on these fueling station (ships), than pick up cargo, distribute food and water than they can come back fuel up, pick up cargo and so on. Instead of waiting for roads to clear and buildings to erect? Send everything needed on ships. Hope someone in high places are scanning the comments, Myself like many others wish they could help but help needs to get to them, I can not imangine the agony of lossing loved ones and seeing the disperation for survival of others. I hope some day the people of Haiti can see we wanted to help but help can not get there, A people that see poverty every day I pray they have the strength to endure.

alexandra r.

Alexandra R. in Florida writes:

I am a Haitian American directly touched by this disaster. husband and lots of family and friends there at this time. I am a Teacher and lots of experience working with children, special needs children, orphans, abused children etc.... Also fluent in English, Spanish, French, and Creole if interpreters are needed.

Patrick H.
Colorado, USA

Patrick H. in Colorado writes:

I am a 44 year old licenced plumber, I do not speak French but would like to help. Haitians, will need running water ASAP. I could help with that effort. I would be willing to do anything to help but my skills are best suited for rebuilding infrastructure.

Rick G.
Colorado, USA

Rick G. in Colorado writes:

I'm a carpenter and would like to assist in the rebuilding of Haiti. FEMA and Redcross don't have anything for volunteers to register. Where may I go to help out??

Peter M.
Wisconsin, USA

Peter S. in Wisconsin writes:

I am a certified registered nurse Anesthtists and I am ready willing and able to go to Haiti to care the the sick and injured... Please let me know how I can help. Thanks, Pete CRNA

Susan P.

Susan P. in Washington writes:

Why don't you drop supplies by parachute or low-level drop so these people can have food and water and clothing. If the roads are hard to navigate, this would be the first way to respond it seems to me. It worked in Berlin during the blockade.

heidi

Heidi in California writes:

Hi
My heart goes out and willing to go and give a hand in what ever doing is needed, I speak spanish, english, portugues and i can be at your which would be the best way of going about .. to do the serves

Annie G.
Massachusetts, USA

Annie G. in Massachusetts writes:

I am fluent in Spanish, English, and American Sign Language and am interested in volunteering in Haiti as an interpreter during this crisis. I live in Boston, MA.

SIDI
Georgia, USA

Sidi in Georgia writes:

I'm a working professional fluent in Creole, French, Spanish, and Arabic; and Physically fit. I would like to offer my assistance to the military force heading to Haiti. You may contact me if needed.

MR. W.
Massachusetts, USA
January 19, 2010

Maurice W. in Massachusetts writes:

I just want to say , you are in my heart and my prays.I would like to help in any way I can.

Tony O.
Texas, USA
January 19, 2010

Tony O. in Texas writes:

Dear Mr. President,

I know that this is premature, but when the reconstruction begins in Haiti, please help the unemployed in the U.S. by stipulating that any company involved in the reconstruction, hire a percentage of qualified applicants through state unemployment agencies.

I have 25 plus years experience within the construction industry with a focus on infrastucture construction/reconstruction and am unemployed.

I have worked in the carribean before and would gladly work in Haiti, if given the opertunity.

Fred
Oregon, USA
January 19, 2010

Fred in Oregon writes:

I would like to propose an idea I believe would help solve the need for safer housing with long term benefits in light of Hattie’s brush with one disaster after another.
My proposed solution:
There are literally hundreds of thousands of empty steel shipping containers in our country. These containers have actually been successfully converted into comfortable housing, just Google search “Shipping Containers to Homes”.
Think about it. Fire resistant, quake resistant, hurricane resistant housing on the cheap and as basic or elaborate as you want.
My heart goes out to the people of Hattie and I wish I could afford to do more then offer a possible solution for the long term, but this is the best I can do for now.

Fred w A.

Crystal L.
Texas, USA
January 19, 2010

Crystal L. in Texas writes:

I am starting a volunteer service in my neighborhood and i would gladly appreciate it if u could contact me and tell me what it is that the people in Haiti mostly need, also i need some help finding someone who would ship these items out directly if possible, these people need immediate help! I am also Fluent in spanish and English, know the basics in french, i would like to help you out as much as i can. so please contact me.