Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

vanessa b.
Colombia
January 14, 2010

Vanessa B. in Colombia writes:

well i don`t have money to help this people but i think that i can help in an other way i`m a psychologyst and mayme i can help, if that it`s the way please contact me and i will go and help.

David R.
Kentucky, USA

David R. in Kentucky writes:

My name is David R. I' am a Firefighter/Emt. with the Georgetown Fire Dept. I have a team of six people ready to responded to help the people of Haiti. We are certified Firefighter and Emt's when can do search, rescue, and medical services. I can also operate heavy equipment and drive trucks of of any type. Please feel free to write me or give me a call...

Jim H.
Illinois, USA

Jim H. in Illinois writes:

I would be willing to go to Haiti to help with anything I can. I am retired and have all the time you need. I would like to help.

Louis D.
Rhode Island, USA

Louis D. in Rhode Island writes:

I want to go to Haiti and help people directly. How can I get there? Is there a relief group I can join? I'll do whatever it takes to get down there, please contact me.

Linda M.
January 14, 2010

Linda M. in California writes:

I am the Student Council advisor at my elementary school. Students would love to help. Besides monetary donations, is there something that our students can do to help the country and people of Haiti? Thank you.

Mimi
January 14, 2010

Mimi in Florida writes:

At Palm Beach States College, formely known as Palm Beach Community College, we are collecting water, non perishable food, first aid, clothes, etc. Also, I heard American Airline is willing to fly any medical personel, (ie. doctors, nurse, paramedic, etc) to Haiti free of charge.

Robert
January 14, 2010

Robert in New York writes:

My Wife and I feel for the children who lost a loved one. We are willing to adopt a child. We understand children are dying. This is our way to help a child live a wonderful life. Looking for a contact some sort.

Thank You, Robert.

Matha F.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 14, 2010

Matha F. in Pennsylvania writes:

I greatly appreciate the focus on port au prince, but what about places like Miroganne that got hit and are getting skipped??

What can we do to make sure other parts of Haiti get the attention they need??

I have always been dedicated to helping my country. Anyone that needs a translator or anything else PLEASE let me know

Ellie

Ellie in Florida writes:

How can I help? I want to go to Haiti and do whatever they need me to do. What's the best avenue to take?

toni b.
Missouri, USA

Toni and Brandon B. in Missouri write:

My husband and want to volunteer our time in Haiti. I am an LPN with over 23 yrs experience. He has over 25 yrs of all phases of construction. What agencies or how can we go about doing this?

Amy P.
January 14, 2010

Amy P. in Virginia writes:

The need in Haiti is so great that it will take many, many more people on the ground. Why not transport as many people there that are willing to go so that any one person can reach out and hug and confort 1-3 individual Haitians. People are willing to do that and the people of Haiti need it. We have homes to come back to, but we are willing to sacrifice whatever is necessary to HELP!

john R.
South Carolina, USA

John R. in South Carolina writes:

I am a multi-commercial rated pilot with Flight instructor and Instrument ratings that would like to volunteer my services flying supplies or people into Haiti. If anyone knows of an organization that needs my help please let me know

Alphonse L.

Alphonse L. in Florida writes:

I have a homehealth company handing me medications, gauze, first aid kits and I have a potential flight into HAITI this sunday. I speak the language as well as this language. I am a social worker with Haitian refugees and asylees and an old boyscout. I think the state department can and should use Haitians willing to replace US employees as volunteers. I am willing to head out there tonight if I can.

Jatnna B.
Texas, USA

Jatnna B. in Texas writes:

i heard that they are needing volunteers to go help in Haiti bu i don't kow what web side or were to call so i can apply!!! does anbody knows?

Michael B.
Tennessee, USA

Michael B. in Tennessee writes:

I'm 45 year old emergency RN in excellent health looking to go to Haiti if needed. Available immediately. How do I help? Formerly emergency preparedness coordinator of my hospital. Formerly administrator of ER, MedSurg, and ICU. Former high school teacher.

Harlaine

Harlaine in Florida writes:

I've donated cash to two different places already, and is now looking thru the house for clothes and food to donate to red cross. I would love to go to haiti to help since i have medical back ground and I know applying even just a bandage will go a long way. But unfortunately after living in the country for 15 years i'm unegible to leave this country unless it's permanent. So if there is anything I can do here in florida to help my extended family in haiti please let me know, for I am fluent in all three languages, english, french, and creole.

Margaret S.

Margaret S. in New York writes:

I work in a school in Brooklyn I am a teacher assistant i would love to ask the parents and also my neighbors for clothing donations tolietries pillows blankets flash lights batteries etc to send to Haiti I do not know where to go to get someone who is willing to ship the items . I did work with a group of people for katrina and the out pour of donations were unbelievable can you guide me to anyone who is willing to pick them up and ship for free Thank you for your time and effort

Brett T.
Washington, USA

Brett T. writes:

I trying to go to Haiti to help as volunteer.I was on fire dept..3 years a emergency tech on ambulances 6 years and a master plumber to boot for getting water up to citizens....I can also take some of my plumbing employees to help.....so i am calling to find some agency to allow and assist us a flight to go.....If I have to I will go backdoor from Dominica Republic Punta and travel in 400 miles ...Id rather go in fresh ,after all i'm trying to help and I am worth more for souls then sending some money...bret

my k.
New Jersey, USA

Omar K. in New Jersey writes:

me and my family we gathering cloth to ware were can i drop them off to help the people in haiti please respond

wilner j.

Wilner in Florida writes:

I would love to volunteer my time and services to my people in haiti.I speak fluent creole and french.we need every helping hand.

TOM K.
Tennessee, USA

Tom K. in Tennessee writes:

Hello, I am a United States trained and certified physician assistant who has 27yrs experience in surgery including orthopaedic trauma and emergencey medicine. I am at present unemployed and able to volunteer to provide medical assistance in Haiti, however I have no money for transportation to Haiti. If you feel I my credentials are appropriate, please contact me, Sincerely, Tom K.

Rod D.

Rod D. in California writes:

Dear Mr. Valenzuela, I've been watching with horror and disbelief at the plight of the people in Haiti. I'd like to help, personally. I am a tradesperson, general contractor, project manager and site manager. I have well developed organizational and communications skills and am experienced in dealing with things on a fast track basis. I don't know if anyone with my background would be useful... certainly not until it's time to start clearing the rubble and rebuilding, but I do want to help in any way I might.
Sir, these people have been neglected long enough by the rest of the world. They have it in them to pull themselves up and survive, but not without some help from outside. I would like to make some contribution to their survival and sucess. I would appreciate any information you might be able to give me and would be honored to be able to go to these people and help them, directly.
Rod D.

Stephanie B.
Oklahoma, USA

Stephanie B. in Oklahoma writes:

I'm a US army soldier and been in the military for 10 years. I'm Haitian born and raised and fluently speak french and creole. I'm also an EMT. I'm desperate to join the SU troops leaving for Haiti so that I can ehlp I know they can never have enough translators and my EMT training is a plus. Now one in my Chain of Command seem to be able to find out fast enough what units are leaving and how I can get attached to them. Please help me I really have to do something. I just left Haiti last friday with my two daughters... I have to help...it could be me and my kids outhere! Please provide me with any info you can and if possible even help me get overthere, if not with the military with another organization. My unit is hesitant to let me leave with another group because of safety reasons but I'm ready and willing to go.

rk

Rk in California writes:

Hi, I am a nurse, I would love to help but I do not know where to start. please guide me.

Bruce M.

Bruce B. in California writes:

I'm a critical care MD, experienced in 3rd world and emergencies (Sudan, famine, 1983-85). I speak Spanish and a bit of French. I can go to Haiti immediately. Please call me if I can be of help. Thank you.

Bruce B.

Jessica H.
Pennsylvania, USA

Jessica H. in Pennsylvania writes:

I am extremely touched about the stories of people trying to help Haiti, I too would like to help, what can I do to help. I really feel like the children of Haiti need some cheering up and hope, is there things that I could get to send to them. I would like to get people to donate but after donation where can I send them. Please, let me know what I can do. I want to help!!

Scott
North Carolina, USA

Scott in North Carolina writes:

I am a 27 year 911/Flight Paramedic and willing to travel to Haiti in the Rescue and Recovery efforts. Please advise who we need to contact in order to assist.

R. P.

R.P. in Florida writes:

In my family we are all going tomorrow to donate blood for the people of Haiti. May God be with the victims and their families

Marguencie F.

Marguencie in Florida writes:

I'm an Haitian-American teacher currently living and working in South Florida. I would like to help restore Haiti in any capacity that I can. I speak English, Creole and French. There are a lot of other young Haitian-American professionals like myself who are willing to go to work to help in the rescue efforts in Haiti. Please contact me and let me know how I can help. Thank you and God Bless you for everything that you are doing for Haiti and the Haitian people.

Josh
Kentucky, USA

Josh in Kentucky writes:

PLEASE anyone who knows any groups that are sending people into Haiti PLEASE I beg you email me, I am 19 years old in shape and more than willing to help. Please, I can help!