Help Haiti: How You Can Contribute to Disaster Relief Efforts

January 13, 2010
Woman Walks Among Debris in Port-au-Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author:Arturo A. Valenzuelaserves as Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon, Haiti experienced the most powerful earthquake ever recorded on the island. Reports are still coming in, but it is clear that a quake of at least 7.0 magnitude has devastated much of the capital, Port-au-Prince. This disaster comes as a blow of immense consequences for Haiti, the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere.

President Obama jumped to action immediately, instructing his national security staff to develop an aggressive, coordinated U.S. response to the tragedy. As Secretary Clinton said, “The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.”

Our Embassy in Port-au-Prince is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through their warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time. For those Americans seeking information about loved ones in Haiti, the State Department Operations Center has set up the following number: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Governments can do a lot to help Haiti recover from this earthquake. But a disaster of this magnitude requires everybody’s help. Including yours.

To help, simply text “HAITI” to “90999”and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

Simply put: Your donation could save lives.

You may also contact the Center for International Disaster Information. And tweet me your ideas on how we can help the citizens of Haiti: @WHAAsstSecty.

Thank you for being part of the effort to help the people of Haiti recover from this tragedy.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationMore about the crisis:state.gov/haitiquake

Comments

Comments

Joseph M.
Oregon, USA
January 13, 2010

Joseph in Oregon writes:

I would like to see the U.S. government coordinate its relief efforts with the U.N., EU and the international community and start sending a considerable relief, aid, humanitarian and begin a comprehensive assistance effort.

A caller today from a school outside of the Port-de-Prince area suggested to BBC World Have Your Say, that they really need care packages, which include the basic essentials, even first-aid kits. Having people throughout America and beyond putting together care packages is a formidable idea, but they need immediate humanitarian assistance and relief supplies and the care packages should be coordinated with the U.S. Department of State and the U.N. for getting them out to the Haitians.

I don't think most people understand the magnitude of this disaster until we start getting and viewing media coverage on the ground from Port-De-Prince, the type of media coverage that I listened to this morning from South Florida, where BBC World News had a live caller from the ground, she was speaking from a children's school, miles away from the epicenter and gave us a brief description of the devastation being witnessed.

Joseph M.
Oregon, USA
January 13, 2010

Joseph M. in Oregon writes:

Joseph A.
Oregon, USA
January 13, 2010

Joseph A. in Oregon writes:

I stand corrected, in reference to my blog posting earlier on the severity of the earthquake in Haiti, I meant to specify; "Port-au-Prince", even grad students occasionally slip.

Pam B.
Connecticut, USA
January 13, 2010

Pam B. in Connecticut writes:

My heart goes out to the thousands maybe millions that have been effected by this horrable disaster. I work for as a para for an elementary school, and all I can think about is the death and dispare that is surrounding the children,parents,and people of Haiti. I will do my best to encourage everyone to donate anything they can to help!

If you have anything that could help me motivate or start a fund drive,besides the obvious, please email me back and I'll do my best to help!

Sincerly, Pam B.

Susan H.

Susan H. in Florida writes:

Please text everyone in your contact list and tell them about how to donate $10 through your cellphone carrier to help Haiti by texting "HAITI" to 90999

ted b.
Maine, USA
January 15, 2010

Ted B. in Maine writes:

Where is the Salvation Army in the list of aid recipients? Their leader was on site and recorded on NBC this evening.

Daniel Q.
Haiti

Daniel Q. writes:

I would really like to contribute in someway to Haiti however Iam currently unemployed and hardly making ends meet. I do speak fruent spanish, and if I could be a part of a civilian group to donate my services in Haiti, I would be more than glad to help. May God Bless the people of Haiti.

allison m.

Allison M. in Florida writes:

I do not have any formal training in disaster relief; however, I have unlimited time and I am willing to take orders from anyone needing my help! I can leave as soon as needed. I don't have enough money to send, but I am strong and willful. I know that under the correct supervision I will make a difference.

Sincerely,

Allison M.

HEIDI K.
Canada

Heidi K. in Canada writes:

WE MAY NOT BE IN THE MILITARY, BUT WANT TO HELP

mariantonia o.

Mariantonia O. in New York writes:

I am very sad about what happened in Haiti,I pray for them.I want to contribute with something, but the only place that I trust it is the Red crooss,I am going to call them.
God bless our president Obama, he is very concern and doing the best , also mrs Clinton.

Tom W.
Arkansas, USA

Tom W. in Arkansas writes:

If heavy equipment operators are needed email me and I will go.

Zharkov

Zharkov in U.S.A. writes:

It is obvious that the rescue work needs to begin. The latest news reports say there are no rescue workers. People are removing debris with their bare hands.

Haiti needs shipments of portable cranes to lift debris from people trapped below, and bulldozers to clear streets so ambulances can reach victims.

A few Army Combat Engineer units and SeaBee units could be useful to get the place cleared of rubble.

Dana E.
Connecticut, USA

Dana E. in Connecticut writes:

So - what happens to our money..$10 to state dept, some relief org? Don't know..I have 266 families in my town ready and willing to donate to causes that directly support these families in Haiti. This is a disaster not a cause. How do I assure our donors about legitamacy of their donation and let them know what organizations benefit from their generosity??

Kara S.

Kara S. in Florida writes:

i am so sad an think this country needed this help a long time ago. now look at how sad it is.

Normita

Normita in California writes:

My thoughts and prayers go to the people of Haiti. Looking at the images of the devastation is a call to action - to help in whatever amount we can afford.

rev t.

John T. in Florida writes:

as a church how can we help with food money
clothes

Lindsay
Michigan, USA

Lindsay in Michigan writes:

I am a teacher and my students and I would like to help! Besides a monetary donation, is there a way for us to collect water, supplies, etc.. and send it over? Please respond if you can answer! Thank you.

jessica p.
Chile

Jessica P. in Chile writes:

First:Define clearly the steps to start the order of the system. Install a center of distribution in an open space to provide water and food.
Second: carry all the dead people, as far away as you can, to common place. Apply a dust called CAL (lime) to decelerate the human decomposition.
Third: Install tends trying to group the people in this way:
Damnified people
Mather`s with child
Men
Fourth: Install an office of worldwide communication.
Fifth: Define what kind of help is priority to continue receiving.
Sixth: organize the social community looking for the religion leader to give calm to the groups.
At the same time, the Ahiti group of men can help in all the labour described.
Finally tell around clearly what kind of help do you need to receive.

Around the world we need to know how to help clearly to let us move fast and bring the help. This is a tragedy that must make us move as fast as we can to releif the suffer

thomas m.

Thomas writes:

i'd like to send a 20 ft container of canned food, water, cookies, chips, towels, paper towel etc

Amber
Connecticut, USA
January 15, 2010

Amber in Connecticut writes:

People should also consider giving to Save the Children. They are permanently working with families and children in Haiti and are currently in need of support for the relief effort. savethechildren.org

Michael M.

Michael M. in New York writes:

First I want to say I want Jessica P. from chile on my TEAM !! simply said let's give money to help with disaster, let's help our brother and sisters, I am sending my text to 90999 now. let's give and let's pray.

Rick A.

Rick A. in New York writes:

We are a group of performing artists in the Greater Capital District Area. We would like to oganize a "Concert for Haiti" for the victims of this horrific disaster. Can someone from the State Dept contact us ASAP?

Salena

Salena in the U.S.A. writes:

In watching the news this morning I did see certain Red Cross set ups where a person can go and put in names and information of loved ones in Haiti. If any news becomes available of said persons you would be contacted. Does anyone know exactly which locations are doing this?

mike c.

Mike C. in New York writes:

would like to help people in haiti im a 45 yr old male self employed contractor with 25 yrs heavry machine ex, masonery construction and genarl contracting

thank you mike c.

George D.

George D. in New York writes:

I will like to adopt 2 children if there is some who lost their parents please help me.Few of my freinds will like to do the same.Please can you help us

George d.

Martin C.
Colorado, USA

Martin C. in Colorado writes:

State really needs to take the leadership in producing a short term and longer term plan for dealing with this disaster. Use different teams to produce and administer each plan with coordination between each.
Short term would deal with saving lives - areas such as medical support, evacuation efforts, clean water, food, and establishing comunications as well as personnel and property protection.
Longer term would deal with rebuilding Haiti - homes, businesses, infrastructure and etc. Coordinating and focusing efforts of orgs such as Habitat for Humanity.
Also there is a need to establish a way to coordinate offers for assistance from individuals or orgs such as local churches that are not as connected as the Red Cross or Catholic Relief Services. Perhaps an online site.
Finally, State really needs to look at Lessons Learned from Katrina and needs to communicate that they will be using those lessons.

Jeff

Jeff in California writes:

As is typical of our government I came into work this morning with credit card in hand to donate and have been to the State Dept site, drilled down to this site, I have been through 5 links and can not find a place to GIVE MY MONEY AWAY! I will now go another direction but for God's sake people......

Luz S.

Luz S. in Florida writes:

I live in Florida and have some
clothing that I would like to donate but don't
know where to send them or if any local organization is collecting them. Please help
Thank you.

Juliana c.

Juliana C. in California writes:

i would like to donate cloths shoes blankets & other items to Haiti . But i dont know were to go

Richard M.
Massachusetts, USA

Richard M. in Massachusetts writes:

As an Haitian American who feel directly touched by the unfortunately situation. I am offering my assistance in the area where I might be needed which is "Translator".

Thank You for your help to the people of Haiti