Haiti Information

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 13, 2010
Damaged Building in Port au Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquake

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, call 202-501-4444. Due to heavy volume, some callers may receive a recording. You may also email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. Our embassy is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through our warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time.

Update: Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationRelated entries:Information on Earthquake in Haiti: January 13 and Update on Assistance to U.S. Citizens in Haiti

Comments

Comments

jim
Idaho, USA
January 17, 2010

Jim in Idaho writes:

will volunteer- heavy equipment operator- available immediately

Scott B.
Haiti
January 17, 2010

Scott B. in Haiti writes:

Inquiring, as to how I can assist with the Haiti Disaster.

I have over 17 years experience in Remote site Camp Management, from Africa / Middle East/ Afghastain!

Romain A.
North Carolina, USA
January 17, 2010

Romain A. in North Carolina writes:

Family Physician/Hospitalist located in NC and willing to help in Haiti.

I am fluent in Haitian Creole, French and Spanish

Luke F.
January 17, 2010

DipNote Bloggers write:

@ DipNote readers -- Thank you for your offers of support and interest in providing assistance to Haiti. We are currently receiving a high volume of comments and are responding to messages as soon as possible. If you require assistance in locating a loved one in Haiti, please call 888-407-4747 or email: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov.

Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information. You may call the Center at 703-276-1914.

You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill. So far, one million plus people have donated over $17 million in the largest mobile donation campaign to date.

Here are more ways you can find information about helping Haiti: Center for International Disaster Information | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text Donation

More about the crisis and how to help: www.state.gov/haitiquake

John G.
Pennsylvania, USA
January 18, 2010

John G. in Pennsylvania writes:

HEAVY EQUIPMENT ACTION - I own and operate heavy equipment in Central Pennsylvania. I have a transport truck ready to roll with a 311 CAT Excavator. I can get it to the docks in Florida in short-order. I need help from there putting it on a barge and on the ground in Haiti. I also have expertise in sewage systems which I believe need to be fixed to prevent spread of disease. Can anyone help with my mission? Please call me.

Unknown
New Jersey, USA
January 18, 2010

U. in New Jersey writes:

Why won't the state send those kids to the plane waiting for them? Is it that hard to say a three letter word "yes" to bring the to safety?

Robert A.
January 18, 2010

Robert A. writes:

I would like to volenteer my services as a heavy equipment operator to rescue people in haiti. I have 30 some years experance as an operator, retired and willing to help indefinately.

nicole d.
January 21, 2010

Nicole D. in California writes:

i really appreciate america for the help they have rendered to my country. that is why it is call united States of america. love you all and many thanks. on the other hand I am a registered nurse who is willing to go to continue the work for our people. How can i do so. thanks alot.

LLOYD W.
Texas, USA
January 21, 2010

Lloyd W. in Texas writes:

ME AN MY FATHER-IN-LAW ARE TRYING TO HELP OUT BY GOING TO HATI AND WORK BUT NO ONE WILL HELP US FINE OUT HOW WE CAN

carolyn
Michigan, USA
January 25, 2010

Carolyn in Michigan writes:

I am interested in helping first hand in Haiti. I have applied for my passport and can go at anytime. Please send me information on who/where I shold be talking to?

Sincerely,

Carolyn

Greg
Oregon, USA
January 25, 2010

Greg in Oregon writes:

Equipment operator with 30 yrs.experance including disaster relief would like to help in Haiti

joey
Canada
January 25, 2010

Joey in Canada writes:

too bad for haiti

e. z.
Wisconsin, USA
January 25, 2010

E. Z. in Wisconsin writes:

another heavy equipment operator willing to help.

michael a.
Massachusetts, USA
January 26, 2010

Michael A. in Massachusetts writes:

i have 15 years experience in operating heavy equipment . an is willing to help an volunteer a cpl of weeks to help e-mail me

thanks

George J.
Georgia, USA
January 27, 2010

George J. Jr. in Georgia writes:

I am an engineer working in Atlanta, I have family who were directly affected in Haiti... I want to go and work long term in the country of Haiti... how do I aquire a paying job, working in construction in Haiti long term, I have Ten years experience...

Jenmedical
Canada
February 1, 2010

Jenmedical in Canada writes:

I want to volenteer my services to Haiti. I am a hairstylist, I can cut hair etc. Or even just help out with whatever is needed to be done. Have passport/ ready to go whenever possible.

Ben P.
Texas, USA
February 2, 2010

Ben P. in Texas writes:

To whom it may concern

I would like to help in regards to cleaning up and rebuilding Haiti. My father went to Haiti on a mission trip when I was a child, I ve always wanted to go there to help them. Just wish it wasn t because of this disaster. I v been in the construction- carpentry- land development business for the last ten plus years. If my skills can be of any service to you or anybody else assisting Haiti, please let me know.

briana j.
February 2, 2010

Briana J. writes:

i am briana j. in 7th grade i wanna donate to the poor people of haiti i will be sending messages to tell what i have send and donated to you all i wish you luck an the very best room 210 from Bouchet Math& Science Academy 7th grade tell everybody that we will pray an send things

Briana R. J.
wish you the best of luck!!!

Scott
Texas, USA
February 12, 2010

Scott in Texas writes:

I am looking for Texas based companies that are hiring heavy equipment operators to go to Haiti. Please let me know of any resources you may have.

Thank you.

Kirk E.
February 26, 2010

Kirk E. in California writes:

I have thirty yrs experience operating all types of heavy equipment,I would like to go to Haiti to work to help in clean up and rebuild.Have not had any success in contacting proper personal to find out how to do so.Need help.

Mary
March 8, 2010

Mary in Virginia writes:

I have a question. If I would like to volunteer to go to Haiti as a contractor, what would I do or who should I contact.

robert c.
Connecticut, USA
June 10, 2010

Robert C. in Connecticut writes:

I am a christian out of work looking to god for an opening in some type of an orginization to help people in need.I truly believe that the lord has called me for this purpose. I have really no way to get there but im just believing and trusting god to provide a way.

k A.
Bangladesh
July 27, 2010

K.T.A. in Bangladesh writes:

we might contribut in rebuilding haiti with a new dimension

OysterCracker
July 27, 2010

O.C. in the U.S.A. writes:

Here's all of these wonderful Americans, with excellent skills to rebuild Haiti. They are ready, willing and able. Why doesn't the State Department organize development teams so that the job can be done? You need to keep Americans employed doing what they do best and that is helping others. We need a national reconstruction and development team. Sort of like a National Guard on steroids. In 2-3 weeks they have water,sewer,schools,teachers administration, agriculture, business and a functioning government. They train, supervise and get the job done. Haitians would quickly get their economy moving with our support. The sooner these teams are mobilized the faster America profits from trade. Then onto the next assignment.