Haiti Information

Posted by DipNote Bloggers
January 13, 2010
Damaged Building in Port au Prince After Earthquake

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquake

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, call 202-501-4444. Due to heavy volume, some callers may receive a recording. You may also email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. Our embassy is still in the early stages of contacting American citizens through our warden network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time.

Update: Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

How To Help:Center for International Disaster Information | Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red Cross | Text DonationRelated entries:Information on Earthquake in Haiti: January 13 and Update on Assistance to U.S. Citizens in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Michael
Minnesota, USA
January 13, 2010

Michael in Minnesota writes:

Should US citizens in Port au Prince head towards the embassy or the airport?

John R.
January 13, 2010

John in Florida writes:

I am looking to travel to Haiti this weekend to assist in recovery efforts but I cannot find any organization accepting volunteers. Any leads you can provide me would be greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Regine
Massachusetts, USA
January 13, 2010

Regine in Massachusetts writes:

i also want to volunteer,can you connect me with any organization!Thank you for caring!

Gwendolyn
North Carolina, USA
January 14, 2010

Gwendolyn in North Carolina writes:

Thank You for making this opportunity available to everyone that has a cell phone. Haiti needs our help!

Lee R.
North Carolina, USA
January 14, 2010

Lee R. in North Carolina writes:

I have both IT and Construction experience and am wanting to help in any way I can. Went to New Orleans following Katrina with Red Cross in '05 and am available for travel now. Any leads on volunteer projects would be greatly appreciated.

David
North Dakota, USA
January 14, 2010

David writes:

As I said a few hours ago.. i would be willing to send as many people as the cargo plane would hold filled with construction workers and doctors and rescue reconizance teams.. but so far no one will contact me from the state dept or obamas staff. I called the white house yesterday to ask about how i can get cleared to go to 10 other countries. But, unless someone calls back i can't give obama the other plan i already had made up for starting my own business in those countries. Anyways.. you all have my email address now. Some one contact me and i can send as many boats and workers as you can carry in one or two planes. The 305th will undoubtedly be going to pick up supplies somewhere else if they don't get them from right outside the base gates. It might just be more efficient to fly straight there.

Katouchka P.
January 14, 2010

Katouchka P in Florida writes:

I also would like some information about volunteering... Can't find anything online....please keep me posted...

Lesly M.
Haiti
January 14, 2010

Lesly M. writes:

I want to volunteer in Haiti. I am a Retiree I can donate 1 to 3 months at a time.

SABRINA
January 13, 2010

Sabrina in Florida writes:

haitian american speaks fluent creole french and english wishing to help out with the efforts for the haitians hit by earthquake, us passport 41 years of age

JULIO I.
January 13, 2010

Julio I. in Florida writes:

My Church in Kissimmee want to send volunteers to Haiti and other necessary things to help victms in the earthquake. I am trying to contact organizations willing to let us join the effort. We have now about 46 volunteers willing to go. Please contact me at 321-443-9155.

Regina M.
January 13, 2010

Regina in Virginia writes:

I would like to volunteer with with the recovery efforts in Haiti. Please contact me via email.

barbara
France
January 13, 2010

Barbara in France writes:

Better to wait until the Embassy can get a handle on things. From my experience in the Consular Section there, they use the Warden System to locate and can't necessarily cope with any more bodies, however willing and compassionate they may be. I suggest giving to worthy charities designating Haiti.

Berthony P.
January 14, 2010

Berthony P. in New York writes:

53 Haitian-American Retired Army (Telecommunications)want to assist in anyway possible in Haiti. Have active passport and Govt. clearance

lynn
January 14, 2010

Lynn in Virginia writes:

I just like the others am ready to go to Haiti to help. I can take leave and spend weeks working on helping to establish an emergency center in Haiti. I think we should ask the Haitian government if our PR ARNG or our military can help.

Chaplain A.
January 14, 2010

Jen. A. in Florida writes:

I am a Chaplain, how can I help? May God have mercy and bring comfort to the people in Hati! Thank you for helping Hati.

Jennifer S.
January 14, 2010

Jennifer S. in Florida writes:

We know that many people are donating to the people in Haiti, but is anybody donating for the animals over there? Our company American Health Kennels manufactures all natural treats for dogs, cats, birds, and horses. They are made with human grade material and are safe to feed any type of animals, people can eat them too. Peanut butter is our most popular flavor and it would be great if we could donate to the animals, I just don't know who to contact. Please email me back. Thank you!

Richard A.
January 14, 2010

Richard A. in Florida writes:

I am a retired heavy equipment operator (cranes 50 ton, front end loaders, back hoes, dump truck and tractor/trailor operator, etc.). How can I volunteer my sevices in Haiti? Who can I contact?

Jerry M.
Illinois, USA
January 14, 2010

Jerry M. in Illinois writes:

I am a 38 year old male with heavy equipment operator and physical labor experience seeking to volunteer my services in Haiti. Anyone know who I/we can contact?

eric b.
Ohio, USA
January 15, 2010

Eric B. in Ohio writes:

im laid off im big and im strong how can i go over and help those poor people .GOD has laid it on my heart to help please let me know how i would leave tomorrow God bless eric b.

Issa S.
North Carolina, USA
January 15, 2010

Issa S. in North Carolina writes:

I am a bilingual ( French and English), if there is any way I can help please let me know. I have already made a modest contribution to the red cross. I really want to do more so I am ready to help.

Dave
January 15, 2010

Dave in California writes:

The U.S. State Department this morning announced that persons who wish to provide assistance or expertise in Haiti are asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information. The Center, funded by a grant from the USAID's Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance, has established a dedicated page to coordinate Haiti support at: http://www.cidi.org/incident/haiti-10a/ .

Joseph D.
January 15, 2010

Joseph D. in Florida writes:

I am available to play a significant role in the rescue and rebuilding effort in Haiti. My main goal is to head a program to restore the people's emotional integrity, provide the necessary support to empower them to regain self esteem and take back their lives into their own hands as they are accustomed to doing. I am a certified teacher and entrepreneur. I have 20 years of teaching experience both here in the United States and in Haiti for ten years at the New American School. I hold certification in Social Studies, ESOL, Exceptional Student Education. I own a fully operable bakery in Haiti which I operated for 10 years, producing 5000 to 6000 lbs of bread per day. I have extensive experience in Public Relations, Program Facilitation, Training,Coordination, Transportation Logistics, Business Management and Entrepreneurship as well as Education. I am fluent in English, French, Spanish, and Creole. I am an excellent oral communicator as well as with writing. I write effective detailed reports,and excellent with scheduling and delegating authority. I am a naturalized Haitian-born citizen of the U.S, and have resided permanently in the U.S since 1965. My Bachelor's degree is from Rutgers University in New Jersey, and I also have a Diploma of Paralegal Studies from NYU. I have also completed the requirements for a Master's degree in Urban and Regional Development from CTPEA in Haiti, sponsored by the governmeent of Canada, ACDI. I am prepared to go to work NOW!

John M.
Louisiana, USA
January 15, 2010

John M. in Louisiana writes:

I am a 48year old male, I have certification to operate all heavy equipment and up to 100ton cranes as well, I also have 1st aid certifications and cpr as well as mass overvue and shelter and disaster services. I own my company and would like to volunteer my services and certified heavy equipment operators as well...please contact me with any info on whom I may need to talk with in thus regards to assisting in any way I can in Haiti........thankyou

Wesley C.
Utah, USA
January 15, 2010

Wesley C. in Utah writes:

I am a certified heavy equipment operator with physical labor experience as well, I am willing to lend my services to help out. if anyone has info on how I can help let me know.

Regards, Wesley C.

Brian A.
January 15, 2010

Brian A. in Florida writes:

I have a skid loader with forks and a deom rake ready to go !!

Craig M.
Maryland, USA
January 15, 2010

Craig W. in Maryland writes:

Hello
I am an Emergency Medicine physician and wish to travel to Haiti and help. Please contact me as soon as possible.

James P.
January 15, 2010

James P. in Florida writes:

retired military and police officer, looking to assist anyway I can..

David M.
Texas, USA
January 15, 2010

David M. in Texas writes:

Thanks for your quick timely response to the Haitian disaster. You are showing the world we care. When the limelight has faded I am confident the USA will still be helping.

Rodney M.
January 19, 2010

Rodney M. in California writes:

I am an experienced frontend loader operator and forklift operator, all I need is a passport and I am ready to go to Haiti.

Calvin
Nevada, USA
January 19, 2010

Calvin in Nevada writes:

I'm a 50 year old unemployed building contractor. I would like to volunteer to help in Haiti. I have construction knowledge and good common sense, and somewhat of a strong back. I'm about to lose my house or at least sell it for no gain, as I can no longer make the payments. I'm also going through a divorce therefore going to Haiti would lift my spirits knowing that in my darkest hour I was able to help others. I would need help with transportation to and from Haiti and would need to return to Reno by January 27th. Please let me know if you can use my help.
Sincerely Calvin