A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Baltimore g.
Maryland, USA

Baltimore 8th graders write:

We are going to big school-wide fundraiser to help the victims of the earthquake. We are very sorry that this happened to them.

Mark P.
Missouri, USA

Mark P. in Missouri writes:

Im a former 20 year law enforcement officer/firefighter/emt would like to give any assistance on the ground in Haiti for relief effort to on scene search & resque operations. Thanks

Janelle B.

Janelle B. in California writes:

Our 2 year old daughter, Lovely t, whom we legally adopted in Haiti this past year, is in dire need of medical attention, food, water and safe housing. She is stuck in an orphanage near Port au Prince. The State Department should provide emergency visas for children already adopted by US citizens to come home to the families that love them. Please save my little girl, and the other adopted children, stuck in the deadly aftermath of the earthquake. We need to get our babies out of Haiti now. These are OUR children, please help us!

CG

C.G. in California writes:

How do you tex the Red Cross donation code Haiti 90999?
I keep getting an 'invalid' response.
Thanks

Aaron T.

Aaron T. in Florida writes:

Hi my name is aaron t. im 21 years old and i live in florida,i am offering my help to go to haiti and assist in the cleanup and rebuilding of the town.It breaks my heart to see that those people had nothing,and to see them lose the little they did have.So dont hesitate for a second to call if you guys need help. I will personally fly over to assist in any way possible.Thanks and may god bless you all.The people of haiti will be in my prayers!

Sebrena
South Carolina, USA

Sebrena in South Carolina writes:

@Janelle B. in Cali
This is a terrible thing that has happened in Haiti. It's a blessing though to see that everyone has come together to donate monies, volunteer or whatever they can during this poor economy right now. Janelle, contact your local Red Cross and see if they can help or aid you in getting your baby home. I pray that she is ok and that everything will be ok. If that doesn't work, contact Tom J., I know he can help somehow. As a matter of fact, he and his radio team is heading to Haiti today 1/14/2010 to help in relief efforts.

jose c.

Jose C. in California writes:

I am from Southern California and i have a group of about 10-15 males that are willing to fly over to Haiti and help with any assistance that may be needed. We have emailed several organizations and if anyone knows of anything, plese feel free to email me any information. We are very saddened by this trajedy and want to help. Thanks!

frank l.

Frank L. in California writes:

I am recently unemloyed and I would like to donate my time to the Haiti relief program.
I am a design structural steel designer that can not find work, so I wuold like to useful in some capacity.
Please let me know if you use me in some capacity.
thanks.

HELP H.

H.H. writes:

HOW ABOUT SEND SOME OF THAT NEEDED MONEY TO THE AMERICAN FAMILIES THAT HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING FOR YEARS!

Jane
Kansas, USA

Jane in Kansas writes:

Please, please consider all the orphaned children that don't have a voice. Many of these have homes waiting for them as they are in the adoption process with US families. We are adopting 2 girls that are in orphanages in Port-au-prince. We are in USCIS awaiting I-600 approval and a VISA. Please, please speed this along so our children can come home to us where we long for them, love them, and pray for their continued safety.

Peter C.
Ohio, USA

Peter C in Ohio writes:

Im layed off and have time on my hands.If you would have a job for me to help in Haiti,I would like the chance to help.Im not a brain but do know a little about everything.Im a hard working person and think i could really be a value.Think you Pete

Astwood J.

Astwood J. in New York writes:

I recently completed an LPN program preparing to take the State board license.I'm a certified CPR. Also have 16 years management experience in airline security, I'm an excellent driver with a commercial DL and very farmilliar with the rugged terrain in Haiti. I would like to provide my time,services and expertises to help Haiti. Please contact me I'm eager to go and help

H. d.
Louisiana, USA

H.D. in Louisiana writes:

I am a teacher by education but more useful skills now (perhaps?) are probably my :cpr certified, veterinary technician- I'd be happy to pack up supplies and fly over( @ my own expense)to help search& rescue dogs as well as any animals in need of medical attention and/or foster homes, sanctuary,etc... Also, please note, I am not a paramedic but fully capable of attending to and or assisting medical & rescue teams with: wound flushing,dressing,bandaging,starting IV lines,injections,splints,etc... It is absolutely heartbreaking to sit here and watch people suffering! I want desperately to be of help! READY TO GO WITH 2 DAYS(OR LESS,IF NEC.!) NOTICE. CERTAIN I CAN GET SEVERAL OTHERS WILLING TO DONATE THEIR TIME,EXPERTISE(believe I can get at least 1 nurse,physician assistant(s),veterinarian+++if needed!) & WE/I WILL DONATE SUPPLIES. GOD BLESS YOU! WE ARE PRAYING FOR ALL OF YOU IN HAITI! I will check back often to see if anyone answers my offer or wants to go with. Thank You

Erika M.

Erika M. in California writes:

hello,
I am a LPN/LVN with an emphasis in orthopedics that is looking to provide asistance with haitian relief after the initial wave of emergency aid is given. how do i go about getting an expedited passport so that i can have that in place for when the need for the second wave of relief volunteers is needed? Right now i understand about the backlog with the airport and needing to set up the infrastructure to support the influx of aid workers. Any information would be most appreciated.

Diana C.
Texas, USA

Diana C. in Texas writes:

Here in Texas we have several H.E.B. stores which I am told throw away meat on daily basis, this is what I am talking about when I say there are people out there starving without anything to eat, this needs to stop and we need to find a different system to help the people in neccessity. Right now "Haiti" needs your help H.E.B. Grocerys Stores, please help "Haiti" Please, Please Please!!

Kris R.

Kris R. writes:

i my name is Kris, I am a heavy equipment operator just out of school and I don't have a job at the moment. I understand and can speak a little French. I can operate and maintain most heavy equipment if you have any ideas how I can get on a crew to operate that would be great please call me. I also have all my wallet (safety) cards.

mary c.

Mary C. in Florida writes:

my thoughts and prayers are with all the people of haiti i visited haiti a couple of years ago and enjoyed the people there and i am thinking of them.

Jetaime L.

Jetaime L. in California writes:

Please help me in finding an organization that will send used clothing to Haiti! God put it in my Heart last night to start one and i have already post bulletin, events and ads on facebook, myspace & etc.. to get friends, family anyone willing to donate! I am able to get a container shipped there but i need some funds to do so! please help! I'm willing to pick up!

Rob
New Jersey, USA

Rob in New Jersey writes:

hey we have a excavating company with heavy equipment will go down n work if we could get equipment there. we are also fema contractors if we can get down there or team up with other contractors call us thanks.

Gina J.
Minnesota, USA

Gina in Minnesota writes:

I feel hurting for my poor country. i ask myself why this happen, only God have the answer.
Now it's time for all haitians to pray God. I thanks for all others country who stand with us in this tragedy by helping.
I hope the population and the government work together for rebuild haiti, they do not looking for their own interest, but the future of the nation.

Fedna
Haiti

Fedna writes:

I am looking to join a rescue effort team/organization providing help to haiti with its disaster. I am of Haitian backgroung, fluent in English, French and Haitian creole. Experienced with the country its people and the culture. Please help me locating a viable organization or Team. Thank you!!!! Fedna B.

Samantha

Samantha in New York writes:

Hello,

I am frantically searching for a way to help. I have made contributions through various charities however would also like to offer my time. I am currently unemployed and have started selling Mary Kay products. I have already made arrangements to donate my profit from the business to Red Cross but feel this is not enough. Please Please Please let me know where I can go to help with packing and shipping aide to Haiti in this time of need.

Claudia A.
South Carolina, USA

Claudia in South Carolina writes:

I just donated ...I'm with AT & T and it worked.
My prayers are with you, my heart goes out to all those that have lost loved ones. "Thanks" to all the volenteers that have the oppertunity to go there and help.
GOD bless!!!

Nadine D.
Indiana, USA

Nadine D. in Indiana writes:

there are thousands of children sitting in orphanages in Haiti---many of these children have families in the U.S. waiting for them! We were very lucky---our daughter came home from Haiti just two months ago. But the children whose files are still in process-what will happen to them? There is no way to finish the process through Haiti, and many of these children are legally adopted in Haiti through their court system--they just await passports, visas, etc. Please do SOMETHING to get these children refugee status and GET THEM OUT OF HAITI before they die. They have no Haitian families to return to---they have been surrendered to orphanages and need to get to their families in the U.S. and elsewhere. I realize this is just a few hundred/thousand children in devastating situation--but these are children who HAVE FAMILIES waiting for them--they just need someone to recognize this situation and get them out.

Hoffmann L.

Hoffman L. in New York writes:

15 year experience on air export management, I feel the need to volunteer my time and experience to help out logistics efforts for Haiti, unfortunately I can not find the organization to do it.

karen
Georgia

Karen in Georgia writes:

May the good people of Haiti get "some" help today from all who are so determined to get to them; may the assistance come in droves & may it last for some time. "God Bless all, each & every one. Please help the children, God be w/the children".

Rebecca V.
Massachusetts, USA
January 14, 2010

My name is Rebecca. If you can't get to Haiti and would like to help with a donation, I would like to recommend the Saint Boniface Haiti Foundation [www.haitihealth.org]
This group has been working in Fond des Blancs Haiti for over 20 years. They have a very low overhead and a very high rating among charities. They work closely with the community, and have been training Haitians as health care professionals and teachers.
Currently the St. Boniface hospital has a staff of 80 Haitians, and a Haitian director.
They are very well placed to bring support to those suffering from the disaster. They speak the language, know the people, and are already at work helping the survivors.

Shannon W.
Missouri, USA

Shannon W. in Missouri writes:

I was just wanting to know why in this recession is there not more places accepting item donations. All I want to do is help any way I can but unfortunately at the end of the week my husband and I usually have a negative balance in our checking account so giving money is not an option for us. I do however have some extra clothes, canned food, baby items among other small things that I would like to send to the helpless victims in Haiti but I have been unable to find a place that is accepting item donations or even an address that I could mail my items to. Please, if you know of a place that I can donate items to or if you have an address that I can use, please let me know. Thank you, and God bless.

Ellen
Montana, USA

Ellen in Montana writes:

Would it be possible for cruise ships to be sent to actually 'evacuate' the area? They could even remain in-port and could come complete with everything that is lacking and is needed immediately...food, water, shelter, electricity, plumbing, safety, medical staff etc...

Matt D.

Matt D. in Washington, DC writes:

I am a 25 year old male, cpr and first aid certified. I'm not an expert in any particular field but I'm a strong healthy person and I want to fly myself over there to help, I imagine they need everyone they can got over there. Does anyone know how that is possible?