A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Vinetta L.

Vinetta L. in Florida writes:

My heart goes out for everyone in Haiti.
I will contribute whatever I can.
And please don't forget that:

"You are never alone while God is on His Throne."

May God bless and comfort you all.

Much Love.

Vinetta L.

Jürgen S.
Germany

Jürgen S. in Germany writes:

Dear Mr. President and dear Americans
After this terrible Desaster in Haiti,
where so many people lost their life`s,
it is hopeful and thankful to see the
Help of all the Countrys of the World.
It looks like: We stay together right now.
God bless America and God bless you

Erika R.
Illinois, USA

Erika R. in Illinois writes:

I am a single mother of one who is unemployed and had put a lot of thought into... Are there any organizations willing to PAY for me to go out there and help? I would love to go there and help look for people... Yes, I am aware of the situation there and aware of what I will be exposed to but there are babies, brothers, sisters, mothers, dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc etc still missing.

Rachel
Indiana, USA

Rachel in Indiana writes:

I donated!

charles k.

Charles K. in Florida writes:

I am willing to help and assist in Haiti, but no transportion. Can help in counsellig

Joel
Pennsylvania, USA

Joel in Pennsylvania writes:

I just donated via the text, but I thought I was going to get a promt of "yes" to confirm the donation. But I didn't receive any messages back or anyting. How do I know the donation went through?

Lisa V.

Lisa V. in New York writes:

I want to go to Haiti and help...I am a 53 year old woman and have many useful skills.

Cynthia
Texas, USA

Cynthia in Texas writes:

I'm glad to donate.

Bart B.
Montana, USA

Bart B. in Montana writes:

I just donated $10 ... it's not much but to see the suffering there is horrible.

Josephine A.
Illinois, USA

Josephine A. in Illinois writes:

To all the families of Haiti:
My family and I are praying for you everyday. We mourn your loss with you! Thank God for loving, and compassionate people coming together to help in a time of crisis.
I am sending a donation.

Prayerfully yours,
Sis. Josephine

Angie

Angie in California writes:

Haiti is a beautiful country filled with happy people despite their conditions of poverty. Please any penny would help..
Don't hesitate to donate.. spread the word around so others help too

michael b.

Michael B. in New York writes:

pray for the people of haiti may the good lord help them in this terrible and trying time. how can i help? I would love to come to haiti and help the people with the clean up effort. please contact me and let me know. god bless them all.

Megan H.
Texas, USA

Megan H. writes:

I feel for the people of Haiti and pray for them hourly. I wish I could be there to help, to console and to comfort. I donated and will continue to do what I can from my home.

Jeff A.

Jeff A. in California writes:

Hi, I am a healthy, strong male and would like to volunteer my time to either the rescue efforts in Haiti or in the reconstruction of that country. I have 27 years experience in all phases of construction and can be ready to leave in a matter of a few hours. Thank you and God Bless

DOLLY

Dolly in Florida writes:

Today is my day to give to the RED CROSS and SALVATION ARMY. PLEASE, EVERYONE GIVE WITH YOUR HEART..

Lovely N.

Lovely N. in Virginia writes:

I want to volunteer as a rescue team to Haiti,I have 11 years of experience in the medical field as a Radiology Technologist I previously work in cardiac cath lab MRI diagnostic X-ray. I also speak French and Creole fluently. Thank you

Leigh R.

Leigh R. in Florida writes:

There are many of us who have the capacity to help. What will help the most is making sure our relief organizations recieve the funds they need! organize a community garage sale and donate the proceeds to one of the many reputable organizations! Get together with people at work! We can help Haiti!

Noy T.
Thailand

Noy T. in Thailand writes:

How I wish I could not only help by donations,prayers, but also touch those people in needs with my own hands.

Woodrow J.

Woodrow W. in California writes:

I'v been trying to volunteer my experience as a union heavy equipment operator for two days. I would like to volunteer my 35 year experience to go to Haiti wright away. How do I do this. I have not been able to contact the wright people!

alice h.

Alice H. writes:

a lot of older folks don't know how to text. Is there an easier way to donate to help Haiti?

Sharon N.
New Hampshire, USA

Sharon N. in New Hampshire writes:

I am an EMT emergency medical tech,in N.H and would like to help in the Haiti disaster.

Buddy L.
Michigan, USA

Buddy L. writes:

You heard your president, now help him to help the Haitian people.There are many organizations that you can donate to.If you can't afford to give,then say a prayer and ask God to help!

Katherine

Katherine in Florida writes:

AMERICAN AIRLINES IS TAKING NURSES AND DOCTORS TO HAITI FOR FREE! PLEASE CONTACT THEM!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!!

Helen B.
Colorado, USA

Helen B. in Colorado writes:

Wouldn't it be great if we (all) could suspend the overseas war efforts for a day or a week, and take all that vast amount of money and put it toward the Haitian cause? This would make Pres. Obama such a hero. Of course this would take humanitarian thoughts/actions on many levels. Can it happen?

Cee C.

Cee Cee writes:

I was happy to make a contribution via my cell phone, and my prayer is that many more will do the same. Every little bit helps. My prayers are with the people of Haiti.

Laura A.
Missouri, USA

Laura A. in Missouri writes:

Thank you so much for setting up the texting/cell phone option for donating to Haiti. It was so easy... a person could donate at anytime or anywhere in a short period of time. I was happy to do it. Please help if you can.

Doug B.

Doug B. in California writes:

My heart goes out to the people of Haiti. I pray for Gods healing hands on them. I would like to volunteer in Haiti in whatever capacity is most useful. I am a volunteer firefighter/emt and have a clinical medical assistant certificate. I have good outdoor skills, am athletic and can work long hours. I have a current passport and would feel blessed to help.

Erica
Massachusetts, USA

Erica in Massachusetts writes:

I am unemployed and can't give very much money to the relief efforts, but I could temporarily house two or three people who have had their homes destroyed. I could get them food and feed them for a few months until they can move back (and I speak some French). I've been looking on the web to see if people will temporarily be moved out of Haiti, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?

Anna

Anna in Washington, DC writes:

@ Katherine in Florida --

While the airlines are organizing Haiti earthquake aid, a spokesperson for American airlines said that reports that the airline is flying aid workers to Haiti are false.

Here is the CNN story with the spokesperson's quote:

Keep contributing to the text "HAITI" campaign!! I heard Secretary Clinton say on CBS this morning that $3 million has been raised!!

JULIENE

Juliene writes:

I TRIED TO DONATE VIA THE CELL PHONE BUT IT CAME BACK SAYING THIS SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE WITH YOUR PLAN? WHATS UP WITH THAT!