A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Arie
Louisiana, USA

Arie in Louisiana writes:

As someone who experienced Hurricane Katrina, I could only empathize with a fraction of what they are experiencing in Haiti. So I am pleading to anyone that is able to text "HAITI" to "90999" or text "YELE" to "501501" to do so. You would donate $10 and/or $5 respectively. I just sented a text and it went through. Please, try and give!

Judy
Idaho, USA
January 13, 2010

Judy in Idaho writes:

This is so sad. I know that $10.00 doesn't seem like much but if everyone of us donates $10.00 just think how much help that will be. My prayers are with the people of Haiti and I know that if this happened here in the US we would want help so please, everyone help.

Shirley
North Dakota, USA
January 13, 2010

Shirley in North Dakota writes:

It sounds as if all they want right now is money, and they will use that to get what they need. It didn't sound like they wanted clothing, etc., donations right now, but I might be wrong. It's more important that they get water, food, and medical supplies. Everyone please help with even a small donation.

HC
New Hampshire, USA

H.C. in New Hampshire writes:

Just imagine yourself in their shoes for 1 minute. Please give what you can. All the news websites are providing information on where to donate. We are all brothers and sisters after all.

Katie
Ohio, USA
January 13, 2010

Katie in Ohio writes:

Donate! Every little bit will help the suffering people. Even 10 dollars is better than nothing

How H.

H.C.I.H. in Virginia writes:

I want to help, immediately.. I am raising attention to everyone in the military... my friends are in the unit that is going there this week from NC... I want to do something, but as a military wife my biggest use is words and awareness... I'm reaching thousands that have no idea what is going on... How else can I help!? Someone please, I want to either go there or do something from the states... any ideas?

DipNote B.
January 13, 2010

DipNote Bloggers write:

The State Department has created a task force to monitor the emergency in Haiti.

People in the U.S. or Canada with information or inquiries about U.S. citizens in Haiti may reach the Haiti Task Force at 888-407-4747. Outside of the U.S. and Canada, call 202-501-4444.

Americans in Haiti can call the Embassy’s Consular Task Force at 509-2229-8942, 509-2229-8089, 509-2229-8322, or 509-2229-8672. Americans are urged to contact the Embassy via email at ACSPaP@state.gov to request assistance.

Lori
Michigan, USA

Lori in Michigan writes:

This disaster is almost incomprehensible. The need for water, medicine and food is vital to their survival.
I'm a disaster volunteer in S.E. Mich - I'll go in a heartbeat.
Please donate to the Red Cross, it's the best way to help!! This program for fundraising is amazing. I'm proud to see happening.

Sol

Sol in New York writes:

Our faith can only lead us to say "God knows what He is doing." Our human side leads us to ask "Does He?" Regardless, may help, prayers and good will be the true leaders in the efforts to help all in Haiti. God bless all in Haiti and may God speed strength, endurance, safety and stamina to those who will touch down to help.

MALE T.

Male T. in New York writes:

Would like to go over to HAITI,donate clothes and help

Sterling D.
Tennessee, USA

Sterling D. in Tennessee writes:

I am 22 year old male and would be willing to pay my own way down if there was a way I could help in person. Any advice on who to contact or ways to get down there and help please email me
I can leave now.

Terrell P.

Terrell P. in California writes:

If we were to all open our hearts and pockets, and send $5-$10 or as much as we could, some difference can be made!!!! This is a tragedy and we as people should come together, and show some love.

Todd
Indiana, USA

Todd in Indiana writes:

An easy way to help out! May God comfort the families & friends of those impacted!

Matt
Kansas, USA

Matt in Kansas writes:

Join me Kansas. We can help these people.

eddy g.

Eddy G. in Florida writes:

Hi I would like to know who could donate my time to the haitian people in haiti?

sheri s.
New Jersey, USA

Sheri S. in New Jersey writes:

My 22 year old son wants to help. What can he do. He is willing to go over there to help

Heather

Heather in California writes:

My husband and I donated the 10.00. I wish we could give more. I know it will help! Our thought are with you all in Haiti....

sheila
Canada

Sheila in Canada writes:

I hope I did it right. Thank you to everyone for all your support. My prayers are with all the people of and in Haiti..

Carolyn F.
Texas, USA

Carolyn F. in Texas writes:

We need to pray like never before and donate as if it were our own family in need.

Creig

Creig in Florida writes:

I am a Sprint customer and could not get my text to go through. I got the same message "shortcode has expired". I called Sprint technical support and got them to fix the problem. They had a block on my phone that prevents third parties from charging money to my account. If you are having the same problem, please call yor provider and have them remove the block. The text will then go through.

William
Oregon, USA

William in Oregon writes:

is this legitimate For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
ANd is it working. I have heard it doesn't work or after texting you receive numerous return texts asking for more $$ or if you want more information. Can anyone confirm?

DREALS1

Dreals1 in Florida writes:

WE NEED A SITE WHERE HAITIANZ CAN CONTACT THEIR LOVED ONES HERE IN THE US THAT R CONCERNED ABOUT THEM. MY NEIGHBOR IS HAITIAN N SHE CANT STOP CRYIN CUZ SHE HAZNT HEARD FROM HER HUSBAND WHOM SHE SPOKE TO AN HOUR BEFORE THE QUAKE HIT. N ALSO POST A SITE FOR PPL WILLIN TO AID IN DA RESCUE CUZ M NOT WORKIN SO I CAN GO.

CPN45
Texas, USA

CPN45 in Texas writes:

What a tragedy! If we all stick together we can provide the most help. Donate what you can and by all means don't be one of the idiots (elliot P) that are trying to turn this into a political agenda. We need to stick together and help these folks instead of pointing fingers. This is nobodys' fault and these folks need help. Lets donate--money, time, resources. We can make a difference.

Ray H.

Ray H. in California writes:

I have a 570LXT loader tractor with normal operating cost of $100.00 per hour. I would like to offer my assistance to Haiti at $40.00 per hour that includes my tractor and my self. As long as all my other expeinces are covered. Hotel, food and fuel for the tractor. I just need my equipment transported to the country and back. I am ready to go now.

maya h.
Washington, USA

Maya H. in Washington writes:

I would love to go to haiti , I am in seattle area if you know of any groups or if you are in or around seattle and want to go please let me know

Peter T.
Canada

Peter T. in Canada writes:

I would like to help on the ground in Hati. Who can I contact to find out how? Please let me know.

Daniel D.
Connecticut, USA

Daniel D. in Connecticut writes:

I volunteer my services as a sign language interpreter. I can pay my way, just want to help.

Wilkerson

Wilkerson in New York writes:

I wish i could help

jen
Trinidad and Tobago
January 14, 2010

I saw this on a site. It may help some of you that want to go over to help. .....Are you interested in joining MatadorNetwork.com to help earthquake victims in Haiti? Email Julie @ matadorhaiti@gmail.com for more information

MARK H.
Wisconsin, USA

Mark H. in Wisconsin writes:

I AM A FORMER WELL EXPERIENCED POLICE OFFICER, PARAMEDIC, AND FIRE FIGHTER. HOW DO I GET TO HAITI/ PLEASE HELP ME FIND THE WAY...