A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Hon O.

Richard O. in Washington, DC writes:

To whom it may concern, we doe work with EXMAR and offshore Consrtuction and drilling Company,, they have a General Quarter ship with 500+ room available for use in Hati,, who do we get in contact with

Ron L.

Ron L. in Virginia writes:

I want to help in Haiti NOW, on the ground. Who do I contact?

Jamie T.
Illinois, USA

Jamie T. in Illinois writes:

I'm organizing a clothing/shoe drive here in Chicago but am having trouble finding an address in Haiti to send the goods to; can anyone help me? Thanks!

Sean S.
Maine, USA

Sean S. in Maine writes:

My name is Sean stevenson i live in northern Maine. I am currently unemployed and have been for about a year. I have plenty of time to donate to this earthquake raveged country. I do not have to money to get there but if someone could help me get there it would let me at least make a little difference. If you have any info on how i can go about this please e mail me thank you all god bless everyone in haiti!

Tammy
Arkansas, USA

Tammy in Arkansas writes:

AT&T works for the $10. donation as well with the YES response! Wonderful and easy opportunity to help!

Joslyn H.

Joslyn in New York writes:

Hello my name is Joslyn H. im not haitan but I have a friend from haiti. She is concened about her father and does not know nothing about him. I was thinking how can people be able to know about their relatives when their is no comunication.I was thinking that this country should send people to ask each person two questions if they have family in America and if they do for their name then create a website where names can be posted this is my idea to help those who are in America thank you for reading this. Sincerely, Joslyn H.

willie j.
South Carolina, USA

Willie J. in South Carolina writes:

ever one just try to gave them help""""

Rachel
Texas, USA

Rachel in Texas writes:

I will keep all in my prayers.. Sprint allowed my $10 donation through "90999"

Anna

Anna in Washington, DC writes:

I texted via Verizon and it worked for me. I think you need to reply "yes." Good luck!

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti.

Lisa
Georgia, USA

Lisa in Georgia writes:

I tried to assist and sent a text message to 90999. I received a replay from 9230 that stated: "The shortcode you are attempting to use has expired and is no longer a valid short code. Msg. 1051." Date Jan 13, 2010 @ 5:57:27 p.m.

Robert K.
New Jersey, USA

Robert K. in New Jersey writes:

I have US permanent friends in Haiti who reside in the US asking if they are included in the logistical assistance (flight, US Embassy etc.) extended to American citizens.

tracy

Tracy in California writes:

HURRY UP USA

Denise

Denise writes:

I too used my cell with AT&T and it worked. I just wanted to say How proud I am of all of you for wanting to help and responding, it's good to see that many people want to help, bless you all.

mark l.
New Jersey, USA
January 14, 2010

Mark L. in New Jersey writes:

iwould like to volunteer my help and am available to go to haiti at a moments notice .I am prior military (desert storm,NEW YORK 9/11)IF ANY ONE HAS A WAY FOR ME TO HELP.

Jeanne
Georgia

Jeanne in Georgia writes:

I am available to go to haiti to help in the medical field, I can go now!!!!

captain y.
January 14, 2010

Steve A. in Florida writes:

I would like to assist in the Haiti relief effort by offering my captain services (a 100 ton masters license). I can donate my services driving boats or in manpower.

Nikki
New Jersey, USA

Nikki in New Jersey writes:

I am not Haitian-American, I do not know anyone in Haiti nor do I have friends of Haitian descent however I could not sit back and not do anything. Via my Verizon wireless phone I made TWO contributions. God Bless everyone, and your families, affected by this unfortunate event. You are in my prayers.

Allen S.
Texas, USA
January 14, 2010

Allen S. in Texas writes:

Like so many of these posts I have read, I too am out of work and would be willing to physically help in any way possible. I can operate some heavy equipment as well as carpenter experience.I have no money but given the opportunity, I will break my back helping all those unfortunate people. If someone can provide transportation, I can help out for the next 8-12 weeks. Can someone please contact me.
God be with us all.

Mal
Indiana, USA

Mal in Indiana writes:

I just sent mine and it went through. I wish everyone could spare ten dollars. It seems like so little, but if everyone could do it, it would be amazing.

elliot p.
New Jersey, USA

Elliot P. in New Jersey writes:

Thank you Mrs. Clinton and President Obama for the help to a country that is in need of our assistance. Our nation shines best when it helps those who are in need . We are helping because it is the righ thing to do , not because we are going to exploit them. I don't want to get negative but I was watching the coverage of this disaster on cnn and fox. Cnn's coverage included giving out numbers to call to it's audience or other information which could help in the relief effort. Fox network was busy with Glen Beck interviewing Sarah Palin. Not even a number superimposed over the image of the broadcast to try to hepl the relief effort. I couldn't believe it. Then again I could it was fox. Thank you cnn for having a heart and caring about humans in need of American assistance.

Roland G.
Texas, USA
January 14, 2010

Roland in Texas writes:

I helped with Katrina and am willing to help the people of Haiti. I will sacrifice my own needs to help mankind during these times. My prayers are with the people of Haiti. Please let me know what else I can do.
Roland

Becky
Georgia
January 14, 2010

Becky in Georgia writes:

WE ALL NEED TO HELP!!! PLEASE SEND TENT'S CAMPING TOOLS TO YOU LOCAL RED CROSS
AND WATER..
MY HEART IS FILLED WITH SADNES FOR THESE PEPOLE.
IT COULD HAPPEN HERE.!!! PLEASE HELP

Ron
January 14, 2010

Ron in California writes:

I am an unemployed mortgage underwriter for >2 years and have zero overhead considering I lost my home and am living with parents at 43. I have the ability to do something, including getting myself there to help.

Where do I go next?

Nancy C.
January 14, 2010

Nancy C. in Florida writes:

I would like to help out. I am a nurse and would like to go to Haiti to assist. Please respond. I live in Florida

segio
January 14, 2010

Segio in Florida writes:

im only twelve and i really felt sad for them so i texted the number an got all my friends to do it too

valeria

Valeria in New York writes:

I sent a text just now and I received a message that the 90999 shortcut had expired. What can I do?

t
Missouri, USA
January 14, 2010

T. in Missouri writes:

we've texted both haiti to 90999 and yele to 501501 over 20 minutes ago but have not received a response to either..how can we be sure the text went through?

Nitya
Alaska, USA
January 14, 2010

Nitya in Alaska writes:

I was wondering if there was a way to setup some kind of bank account of some sort to put money in to send out to those in need in haiti because i have a few others who would like to help??

rose
Pennsylvania, USA
January 14, 2010

Rose in Pennsylvania writes:

I would like to go help in Haiti. I have no special skills, but i am a good mom and i can hold and comfort the babies who lost their parents. God be with the people of Haiti.

sergio

Sergio in Florida writes:

im only twelve and i felt really bad so i texted the number and got my friends to text it too and my dad to donate some med equipment