A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

P. R.
January 13, 2010

What about Haitian American, who live and work in the U.S. or work for the U.S. Gov. and would like to go and help. I can give $10, but given the magnitude of this event, I'd like to do more. I speak both languages fluently. I can volunter time, or do a detail. Please, let us know how we can help. Thanks,

Dale
Texas, USA

Dale in Texas writes:

Response says "This doesn't work on your current plan."

Edwin
Indiana, USA

Edwin in Indiana writes:

I want to volunteer to help with rescue in Haiti. I live in Indiana and can leave immediately.

Maya

Maya in California writes:

Debi and Steph,
Please see this link http://www.mgive.com/terms/a/ to answer your reservations about the text to donate system. 100 percent does go the red cross, unless they are registered as an organization that voluntarily give 5-10 percent to mgive for administrative costs.

Maggie
Louisiana, USA

Maggie in Louisiana writes:

To all those who have had to use Red Cross for diseasters in their areas. Please help support other areas. We all never know when we will be requesting assistance. I have donated and sent request to all my contacts in my cell phone. Please encourage others to do the same.

Candace

Candace in Washington writes:

I just wanted to say that it I feel privileged to help... it is an obligation for those who are blessed enough to live in one of the great societies of the world to help those that are less fortunate than ourselves... we are all brothers and we are in this together... God bless all those in Haiti, they need our prayers.

Nereyda H.
Illinois, USA

Nereyda H. in Illinois writes:

The text messaging does work. I tried it and received a text message back indicating to confirm the donation to Red Cross Int'l Response Fund by replying with YES. I also forwarded a text message to everyone in my phone contacts letting them know how they can help.

Kimberly
Louisiana, USA

Kimberly in Louisiana writes:

I pray that all the survivors come out healthy and strong. I pray that those that have lost love ones, be strenghed by the blessings of God to be here another day. I also ask that everyone or individual contribute in any means.

Giovanna C.
North Carolina, USA

Giovanna C. in North Carolina writes:

I have many Haitian friends and support New Mission in Haiti. I too like so many that have posted rather be out there in Haiti and helping. I want to do more than just to giving a donation. I have no funds to get there. Is there someone or an organization that can help those who are willing to go and help out?

Mauricio R.

Mauricio R. in California writes:

I tried to do the text message but it came back with a text that said "service not available for this plan" my wireless company is T-Mobile is there any way they can tell them to activate this function so that everyone who want to helps does not go trough this?

Thanks, and I hope that helps gets there to our Haitian brothers.

Kelly M.
Massachusetts, USA

Kelly M. in Massachusetts writes:

I checked in to it and 100% of the $10 from that text does go to the rescue effort everyone, it's the least one can do.

Thomas K.
Massachusetts, USA

Thomas K. in Massachusetts writes:

I will like to volunteer to help with rescue in Haiti.

bantur
Turkey

Bantur in Turkey writes:

I am so regretful what happened in Haiti.I would like to help those victims and make some donation but I am not living in USA.If you can open an international visa account,I will be thankful to you.

Janeen B.
Utah, USA

Janeen B. in Utah writes:

Thank you for making it easy to help immediately - the counts of suffering are unimaginable! I've already sent this message to everyone I know - a way to get help to them fast. My prayers are also with them.

Benjamin B.

Benjamin B. in Virginia writes:

I would like to volunteer my services to the mission in Haiti. I am ready to go now.

Marie N.
Maine, USA

Marie in Maine writes:

My name is Marie, I live in Maine, I am an American citizen, but was born in Haiti, my family, my dad, my grand mother my uncles aunts, my cousins and best friends lived in Haiti and I have been trying to reach my dad who is disabled and the rest of my families, but unable to do so; can someone suggest what can I do. I'm also a nurse and proffessional counselor what can I do. I can not find a fly to Haiti. I'm really worried about my father. Please help. I would like to volunteer in Haiti.

Andrew

Andrew in California writes:

I just donated using the text method on a T-Mobile phone and it worked smoothly. Great idea.

Rachel

Rachel in California writes:

you can also text "YELE" to 501501 to make a $5 donation to Yele Haiti, an org created by Wyclef Jean (http://www.yele.org)
100% of funds go toward the relief operation.

Alejandro

Alejandro in New York writes:

Verizon definitely works for 90999 donation. Everyone who has that carrier should donate. Just respond YES for final confirmation text and you're all set.

Torfinn D.
Canada

Torfinn D. in Canada writes:

I,as a good number of Canadians, want to HELP.. In these difficult economic times I cannot donate cash. I am willing to donate my time and expertise to the people of haiti! There is no rhetoric placation involved here. I am now watching the Governor General of Canada speak....and that is as far as it goes...shame!!!! I have no agenda..perhaps that alone3 disqualifies me. I can travel on a moments notice. Let us help the people, help the victims of this catastrophe!
\

Dennis
Georgia

Dennis in Georgia writes:

I too would like to volunteer to help the people in Haiti. I am in between work and have lots of time on my hand.

Frances S.

Frances S. in California writes:

I'm 64 years old and retired. I can confort a child, help with the elderly and dig for people. I'd be happy to pay my own way if I can be of any help in any capacity.

Colleen B.
Colorado, USA

Colleen B. in Colorado writes:

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Haiti. We've sent help and will stand beside you as you move through this difficult time.

Diana W.

Diana W. in Florida writes:

So, let's stop spending any more money in Iraq and Afghanistan, bring the troops home and then send as much manpower and aid in all forms to help Haiti. The United States has never done all that it could do to help these poor people. If we are so intent on nation-building, let's rebuild Haiti with safe buildings to live in, safe schools and hospitals for the Haitian people, help them to fight AIDS, treat those already with AIDS, and even though they are mostly Catholic, contraception is needed for many reasons. This is a critical time on our planet for us to do the right things for all of humanity, without regard to "what's in it for us?" I believe we can come up with some way that Haiti can become self-sufficient and its citizens can earn enough money to lead safe, healthy, and reasonably comfortable lives. I truly believe this horrible tragedy is a "wake-up call" for all of us as human beings. Wouldn't it be great if all nations rallied to help the most helpless country on the planet, and by doing so, put aside their political and religious differences? This is what I pray for every day.

T.J.Burton

T.J. in California writes:

I want to know if there is any possible way to help in haiti physically. I have been jobless for more than a year now and i have nothing better to do. I am a 25 year old male and in good shape. i ran heavy equipment since high school and have been certified in cpr in last year but have not had the money to update it annually. Hope i can help!

Adam K.

Adam K. in California writes:

My Aunt Debbie and Uncle Eric were on a mission trip in the Dominican Republic not far from Haiti when the 7.0 earthquake hit. They are safe but please pray for them for times will be very tough right now. My cousins and I are praying but would appreciate it if everyone would come together in this time of need for the victims and my family and pray that God will put a hand over them and the victims. This is an official prayer chain. If anyone would like to add their prayers or prayer request please put your name down, and send this back to me. MY name is Adam K. and I thank any of you who keep this going. God bless you all.

1. Adam K. -- My aunt Debbie and Uncle eric and thier safety alond with the victims of this tragedy, and for my cousins, to find peace in their heart and know that our family is strong.

jermaine
South Carolina, USA

Jermaine in South Carolina writes:

how can i get to haiti and give my services

Coco M.
Massachusetts, USA
January 15, 2010

Coco M. in Massachusetts writes:

My colleague, Sophia L., waited anxiously through the night for news of her family in Port-au-Prince. She works in the Boston office of Oxfam , an international aid agency that has a staff of 200 on the ground in Haiti right now. Here's a link to a blog posting she wrote early this morning:
blogs.oxfamamerica.org

Jamie

Jamie in Florida writes:

I can help now! Am willing to do whatever I can to provide some disaster relief. My passport is valid and I'm ready to go yet the red cross just told me I have to sign up, attend classes and then can help with the next disaster. WTF? They need help now and I'm available! Anyone with info on organizations that want volunteers now, please let me and the rest of us know. Thanks.

tim

Tim in Virginia writes:

I can go to Haitii for 3 weeks and help have done WMD drills and have SaR Skills and I'm a communication speacialst have all my own gear, just need a way there .Thank Tim