A Disaster in Haiti and How You Can Help

Posted by Cheryl Mills
January 13, 2010

More about the crisis and how to help: state.gov/haitiquakeAbout the Author: Cheryl Mills serves as the Counselor and Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Earlier today, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 7.0 struck Haiti. Reports are still coming in, but it appears that many schools, hospitals and other buildings have collapsed, adding more suffering to an already impoverished nation, the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

Reports continue to pour in from all over and we are extending all our thoughts and prayers to those who have been affected.

As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interested in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.

Or you can go online to organizations like the Red Cross and Mercy Corps to make a contribution to the disaster relief efforts.

The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747. You may email inquiries to: Haiti-Earthquake@state.gov. We'll provide more details and opportunities to help as we learn more. To stay up-to-date, follow us on state.gov.

Update:Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance in Haiti following the devastating earthquake that struck near Port au Prince on Jan 12, 2010, is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.You also can send your message to helphaiti@state.gov. Be certain to include in the subject line "Donation of" followed by the products you are willing to donate. A staffer will share the information with relief and development agencies that have the ability to transport collected items to the affected region and have identified needed goods.How To Help:Clinton Bush Haiti Fund | InterAction | Mercy Corps | Red CrossRelated entry:Information on Earthquake in Haiti

Comments

Comments

Allan
Uganda
August 3, 2010

Allan in Uganda writes:

I must say that it was quite a tragedy for Haiti, I can't do much as of this moment but to extend my entire condolences to Haiti. And if there is anything I can do in terms of volunteering out there I would love to join the squad if called upon or needed. tragedies happen especially when we never expect them, we just had a terrorist attact in my nation it was terrible.I wish the haiti people and those trying to help a greater and better future

Kanjariya M.
India
August 10, 2010

Kanjariya C.M. in India writes:

i want to go usa please help me to out

rabari v.
Singapore
August 15, 2010

Vijay in Singapore writes:

hi i am vijay.i want to go hati and i want to help in social network.children.development department of hati and how to take hati economic and also help social work.i have development and social department 10 year working experience.thanks.vijay

Kathi
Missouri, USA
September 9, 2010

Kathi in Missouri writes:

I think this is all a giant government scam!!! When are we going to feed our own children first? I see so many starving kids everyday right here in my own town. When will we stop giving all our own supplies away? It's been since the 70's since any of us have even seen the blocks of cheese and cans of government peanut butter made for us here in America, yet we give it away. I know so many families that don't have enough to eat but can they get any help? No not even food stamps. If you want to help, help here in one of our own soup kitchen's then decide if they need you more than we do. I applaud you for your wanting to do good thing for humanity. I just feel like we need good people like you here. I don't know maybe I'm selfish. But I do know for sure we have alot of starving people here. At least think about it. Think why our first lady would beg us to help out hati when we need our own disaster funds to help with the oil spill? I just am not comfortable with her doing that? What up with that?????? Good luck in whatever you choose but I sincerly pray you choose us!!!!!!

Cell P.
China
October 4, 2010

C.P. in China writes:

I remember hearing about this when watching T.V. after the disaster in Haiti occurred. I myself texted "HAITI" to the 90999 number on my cell phone to donate money. It was an easy was to give my contribution to a great cause.

Jean C.
October 18, 2010

Jean F.C. in Florida writes:

Haiti is in good hands... we have nothing to fear.

Thank you President Clinton for your leadership
and sacrifices on behalf of the Haitian people.

checkmate!

Haiti has a new captain and a new operating manual.

This new paradigm represents an extraordinary opportunity today to reinvent and redefine the Haitian Identity.
And, if done intelligently and successfully, the consequences will be as liberating and as crucial as 1804 itself .

Our children in the Diaspora and our African American brothers and sisters, whose civil rights struggles have facilitated our own development and growth in the US over the past 40 years, will finally bring down the " Berlin wall" of racism and ignorance that makes up the artificial borders that have divided and isolated our communities for the past 200 years.
Let us seize the moment!
-------------------------------

To the Editor:

Open letter to the members of the "Interim Haiti Recovery Commission" (IHRC) and the African-American Community.

"http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03282008/watch.html"

Dear friends and fellow Americans:

This is an invitation to use the Kerner Commission Report as a guide and resources in your search for solutions as you begin this extraordinary mission of rebuilding Haiti's infrastructure and civil society. Haiti and the black ghettos of America have many things in common and the level of poverty in our isolated and dysfunctional neighborhoods have the same historical and tragic causes and effects. More importantly, we have an outstanding opportunity in Haiti today to fully and completely adhere to and put into application the recommendations of the Kerner Commission and build a new and open society that will be the envy of the international community.

We don't have to reinvent the wheel.

What Haiti needs today is new and bold leadership ....
and I sincerely believe that IHRC has the assets, the structure, the formula and the leaders to make history again in the land of the maroons.

"I feel a special connection to Haiti and the Haitian people," Cheryl Mills says.
"The power of Haitian heritage and the strength of the Haitian people is tremendous.
And, Haiti holds a unique and rich role in the history of African Americans.""http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/cheryl-mills-talks-aid-haiti-progress-earthqua..."

What a honor and a privilege to have such an outstanding and powerful young lady like Cheryl Mills speak on behalf of the Haitian people!
The spirit and vision of Toussaint Louverture through her roles and actions are alive again in the Haitian arena.

As we witnessed this senseless struggle in the Middle East over land and identity, let us rejoice in the Haitian and African-American Communities for this gift and that great location that destiny and faith has bestowed on our people. It's now time to get smart and develop this beautiful island together in partnership with our friends and fellow Americans.

Haiti belongs to all of us ... our victory in 1804 has no greater meaning... Our HOME is your HOME !

Let us build a new Jerusalem in the Caribbean, a city of hope, peace and justice for all.
The children of Haiti deserve nothing less and what a wonderful and historical family reunion that will be.
Let us rediscover, secure and rebuild this beautiful nation "one square mile at a time"
and let us begin on Tortuga Island. http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/americas/tortuga_84.jpg

The Haitian Revolution provided us all, brothers and sisters of African descent in the Americas, with an oasis of universal freedom and justice to protect our bodies and souls in a very strange and different world. Now more than ever, Haiti needs all of us, as a united family, in order to guarantee her own survival in a global community that can hardly understand the reason for her existence.

Let us begin the work today and build this new HOME that Toussaint Louverture had dreamed for all of us... and hand in hand, as one nation with a common purpose, complete the Haitian-American Revolution, to serve and protect our fellow Africans in the Americas, especially our brothers and sisters within the walls of their artificial borders in Haiti, enjoy and develop with pride and dignity this sacred land that our ancestors have entrusted to all of us... we know you're going to do us proud.

Yes we can and together we shall overcome!

leonna m.
Ohio, USA
October 23, 2010

Leonna M. in Ohio writes:

I would like to help the people in haiti,but what can I do for them let me know everythinh Ing or anything I can do or anyone here in ohio

DipNote Bloggers reply: That's terrific, Leonna! Please visit http://www.state.gov/p/wha/ci/ha/rls/2010/135161.htm for more information about how to help.

Timalsina P.
Nepal
October 27, 2010

Timalsina P. in Nepal writes:

I AM JUST ONE OF MANY WHO IS EAGER TO GIVE MY COMPLETE TIME AND BODY TO HELP WITH THE EFFORTS OF REBUILDING HAITI,I AM AVAILABLE,AND WILLING TO RELOCATE,UNTIL COMPLETION,PLEASE E MAIL ME MORE INFO THANK YOU

DipNote Bloggers reply: Timalsina, that's terrific. Please visit http://www.state.gov/p/wha/ci/ha/earthquake/index.htm for more information about how to help. We hope to bring you an update soon on efforts to combat cholera in Haiti.

Jargalsaikhan
Mongolia
November 5, 2010

Jargalsaikhan in Mongolia writes:

Hi every body.hi brother's and sester's. my name is Jargalsaikhan I am Mongolian. I am merried. my wife now is pregnant.we are really whant to live in the USA.please help our family.

Tanguy
France
December 3, 2010

Tanguy in France writes:

Everybody have already forgot about it, it is sad. Is text message still available?

Tanguy from Paris (France)

Sara L.
November 24, 2010

Sara L. in New York writes:

I just need to know if the government helped Haiti well? And how? (not to detailed please) It's for a project.

Laundryroomcabinets.net
Nevada, USA
November 27, 2010

L.R.C. in Nevada writes:

This is a very sad situation and I truly hope we as a country can contribute to helping these impoverished families even more than we are currently.